Booked this place early on the day of our eventually stay. Had been weighing up a few options in and around Chester via comparison sites including Tripadvisor, this one appealed the most. It's location (rural but just a few minutes away from Chester) was key in the decision. It was a treat for the wife who hadn't been very well following a bout of chemotherapy in the previous few months leading up to the visit.
Arrived mid-afternoon on a Saturday, it was really busy as there was a wedding going on but we were received at reception very quickly, comprehensively and with appreciation for our visit from Phil (top marks). We were allocated Room 42, quite a hike from reception but easily found via good sine age. Access to our actually room via the door was up a spiral staircase (an unexpected surprise and gave that feeling of exclusivity (although word of caution, it would not be suitable if you have restricted mobility so best to check this when you book).
Room was quaint, built into the side of the roof, was large and comfortable enough, with good storage facilities, tea/coffee. One minor observation - no mini bar - not sure if this was standard throughout the hotel as the wife was gasping for a glass of water) Room also had the ever reliable Corby trouser press :-) Room was really quiet too, bed was comfortable, no issues at all. Really enjoyed the buffet breakfast served up the following morning too, plenty of choice and very tasty. Staff were good in the morning too, although advise would be to turn up for breakfast before 9am to avoid the rush
Bathroom had lots of nice amenities. Again - a minor niggle - the shower curtain only extended approx 30-40% across the step-in bath as the bathroom was built into the roof but a minor irritant. Bathroom was spacious,couldn't fault it.
Leisure facilities were excellent, with the pool having an appearance of a Roman baths, and luckily at the time of our visit, was relatively crowd free. Sauna, steam room and Jacuzzi all working, and good. Staff on duty at the reception area of the spa were great and informative. Wife couldn't book a treatment but it was requested at short notice. Evening meal was at the house Ciro's Brasserie. If you are fortunate to be served by Andrei, he's brilliant. Many lovely looking dishes, the ones we chose were gorgeous. Pricing in expectations of a 4 star hotel. There is an adjoining pub too serving excellent food by the looks of it
Would highly recommend a walk round the Asian sensory gardens too, a great tranquil location. There is also a very tranquil garden area worth walking around adjacent to the car park too.
We were treated throughout as if we were valued throughout. Staff were attentive to needs and we were made to feel welcome throughout.
Thoroughly enjoyed our one night stay, will definitely consider stopping again if in the area.
I was on Facebook & Twitter to the hotel throughout the stay - they were quick to reply to my compliments. I know the manager will be reading this review in time. "You're running a very good ship" is my parting salvo. look forward to visiting again :-)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The award winning Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa with its beautiful 19th Century original building has been tastefully and expertly extended to incorporate a vast range of facilities and accommodation. Nestled in the Cheshire countryside this hotel is ideally located just a five minute drive from Chester's historic city centre, yet a stone's throw from the border of Wales. Privately owned, this four star hotel offers 73 bedrooms all with en-suite facilities, while two restaurants provide guests with a choice of dining. The AA Rosette awarded Ciro's Brasserie is a magnificent Mediterranean themed restaurant specialising in modern European cuisine cooked using fresh, seasonal, local produce, while Nelson's Bar, the hotel's gastro-pub offers traditional ales and a wide selection of bar meals. Within the hotel is also Spa by Kasia, the North West's most exclusive and opulent spa. This luxury retreat offers 6 indulgent treatment suites, 3 relaxation rooms, a couple's VIP suite, traditional Hamman, Roman style swimming pool, Jacuzzi, steam room, sauna, gymnasium, outdoor tennis court, Spa Boutique, Spa Eatery, and the unique and stunning Asian Sensory Garden. This welcoming hotel, with its stunning backdrop of the welsh mountains, is the perfect base from which to explore the beauty of Wales, Cheshire, the famous Roman city of Chester and The Wirral. There is an abundance of local attractions in and around the surrounding area, which include Chester Cathedral, Chester Race Course, Chester Zoo, Blue Planet Aquarium, McArthur Glen Designer Outlet, Beeston Castle, Castles of North Wales, Tatton Park, Ness Botanical Gardens and many more! The hotel offers ample free parking and complimentary internet access throughout and is easily accessible from the motorway network A55, M53, M56 and M6, and the international airports of Manchester and Liverpool. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, Ebookers, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grosvenor Pulford Hotel And Spa
- Grosvenor Pulford Hotel Chester
- Grosvenor Pulford Chester
- Hotel Grosvenor Pulford
- Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa Chester, Cheshire