Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa
Priceline
US$98
PremierInn.com
1,783 results
All reviewsnelsons barspiral staircaseciro's brasseriejapanese gardensensory gardensunday carveryexecutive roomlovely hotelwedding venuesteam room and saunawedding guestsafternoon teamy partnerleisure facilitieswedding receptionthe ground floorfrom start to finish
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Our stay in the Grosvenor Pulford has inspired me to write my first ever TA review and sadly not for the right reasons. My husband, son and I stayed on 4th August and booked the Grosvenor Pulford with the intention of finishing off our 4 night trip to London with a little relaxing treat - some shopping in Chester, a trip to the hotel spa and a nice dinner. We arrived at the hotel later than planned and knew we would have to forego the spa but we were hungry and looking forward to a nice relaxing meal. First impressions of the hotel were good - it's a beautiful building in a nice little quite village so I was really looking forward to our stay. The receptionist who checked us in was pleasant enough but did ask for payment for the room upfront as standard policy - I thought this was odd as they did have my card details from when I made the booking and normally in any other hotel the account is settled on check out. I paid cash and when I asked for a receipt I was told I would get it in the morning when we checked out. We were allocated room 43 and to say this was a disappointment is putting it mildly. We had booked an Executive Double with a child bed and whilst the room was big the decor was quite jaded and was nothing like the picture of an Executive room on their website - in fact it looked nothing like any of the rooms on their website! The carpet felt unclean and almost damp and there was a stale smell. The bathroom was a shabby with a stained toilet seat, grouting in the shower needed refreshing and the down lighters in the room were really badly fitted with a very slapdash appearance. Our room was on the corner so apart from a sliding patio door there was a small window on the side but with only an old style arm to hold it in place so I did not feel secure leaving it open all night as it was over my child's bed and easily unlatched from the outside. The rooms beside us that had no side window seem to only have a patio door and no window to leave open overnight if required. There was no safe, air-conditioning or fridge in the room and sound insulation between our room and the one above seemed non-existent as we could hear every single footstep of the person stomping from one side of the room to the other and we could clearly hear their TV well in to the night. We had a long day travelling and didn't want to make a big fuss and ruin our last night so we decided we would live and learn as far as the room went and made our way out to Nelson's bar for dinner, which the hotel bills as a "Gastro Pub". This is a nice old style room with lovely original feature windows and was probably one-third occupied when we arrived. The menu is quite basic really - sandwiches, panini, then the usual main course offerings of fish and chips, burger, steak, Thai green curry etc, which are all fine if done really well but that's not the case here so calling Nelson's a gastro pub is ambitious to say the least. The biggest let down of all however is the terrible service. In print on the inside bottom of the menu where the nibbles, starters and sandwiches are listed it says that orders should be placed at the bar and as we were going straight to main courses I did not see that notice (I did look on the front and back of the menu for any indication) and there was one waiter in the room serving only some tables so this was very confusing. When the person who I assume was the restaurant manager passed us I ask him and he abruptly said as he continued to walk by that we need to order at the bar. When I approached the bar there were a couple of people already waiting, one lady in particular seemed a bit irritated by the wait. The barman looked quite disinterested and didn't offer any "will be with you in a minute" or acknowledgement that he knew we were waiting to order. It seemed really odd to have a waiter serve some tables but to ask others to order at the bar and yet only one bar man was serving both drinks and taking food orders. Eventually another barman appeared who took time to stand and joke for a minute with the first barman and he then proceeded to walk passed us to serve someone who just walked in. Eventually it was my turn to get the barman's attention and he told me he would need to swipe our room card to place the order or I had to pay up front for the food. I went back to the table to get our room card and he then told me that it was the folded paper card that held the room card that he required so I then went back to the table to get my purse to pay for the mains. This coupled with the payment up front request at reception didn't set a good tone as it seems a little suspicious on their part and I also felt that now they had our money there was no recourse for us or incentive for them to care about the service or standards. The meal arrived and my son's burger was barely warm although it was cooked through and similarly the lamb shank ordered by my husband was not hot, he also complained about tiny serving of mash. They were both so hungry that they ate anyway. I had the haddock which was a good size and hot but was watery and had absolutely no flavour. The restaurant manager approached to ask how the meal was and we told him as nicely as possible and in fairness he did offer my husband another lamb shank but his appetite had depleted by then. Interesting we overheard another diner at a table near to us who seemed to be a regular call the manager over and tell him that the food was not hot enough. The girl who cleared the tables did not talk or smile the entire time despite our polite "thank yous". I had popped in to Ciro's Brasserie in the hotel to look at their menu and the manager in there was very nice and welcoming and we really regretted our decision to try the "gastro pub" instead. Considering the terrible service in the bar we decided not to relax there and have a couple of drinks as originally planned and instead went back to our room where we discovered that despite their claim that WiFi is available throughout the hotel there was no signal in our room for either the WiFi or our phones! After a very stuffy and uncomfortable night we got up early for breakfast before heading off on our return journey but again both the service (no one in this hotel apart from the receptionist or Ciro's manager seems to smile at all) and the quality of the food were terrible - runny scrambled eggs, sausages that oozed grease (deep fried I think) so we filled up on toast which we had to get the staffs attention to ask for as there were no offers of tea/coffee refills or anyone checking if we needed anything else. After spending 4 nights in a 4* in London that cost us only £8 per night more than the Grosvenor Pulford but with far superior service, room standard and breakfast it's hard to see how the Grosvenor Pulford justifies charging GBP155 per night for such poor quality. My son said it was the worst hotel he ever stayed in and I have to agree. Definitely not worth GBP155 per night and definitely a big disappointment for our last night. When checking out the receptionist asked me if everything was okay - my response was "just okay" and she didn't enquire further. We really didn't want to spend the last night of our trip complaining and tried to put a smile on our faces for the sake of our boy. Definitely not a 4* experience and I don't understand the high rating on TA.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
12  Thank Annette1904
Reviewed 4 August 2014

It was a while ago that my partner and I stayed here when they had only just finished the first wave of refurbishments. We were lucky to be allocated one of the newly refurbished rooms, and it was lovely. Bathroom in particular was finished to a high standard.

The best thing about the hotel for me was the food. We ate in the gastro pub part in the evening, the portions were massive! And the breakfasts were amazing, very tasty.

The lady on reception when we checked in was really friendly and helpful.

We didn't have any treatments but did use the gym and pool, which was lovely - especially the jacuzzi.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andy H
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Very welcoming and the bar area is spacious with comfortable seating . The bar menu is varied with a good choice of inexpensive snacks . Not rushed at all the service is good and is ideal for meeting up for coffee lunch or even a business meeting . I have also used the spar here and it is excellent.

Room Tip: I gave not stayed here as I live about 20 mins away but it is one of my favourite places to eat
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for our mini honeymoon in July, having upgraded to a superior room. Can't really fault this hotel. Room was lovely and a nice touch a card and chocolate hot milk drink stirrers left for us. Bottle of bubbly I had ordered was waiting for us.

Great location - we parked the car up for the duration and used the regular bus service with smart leather seated buses to get to and from Chester.

We eat in Nelsons Bar the first night and service was excellent and the portions surprisingly large. Very satisfied.

Used the pool and found it clean and pleasant. The changing rooms were ok but could do with a bit of an upgrade, just a little bit tired. But otherwise we loved this hotel and hope to return again soon for another chilled break away.

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 31 July 2014

My wife and I went for one night to celebrate our 10th Wedding Anniversary and we may have to go for our 11th.
We were immediately upgraded on arrival and were impressed with the warm greeting at reception and the room itself.
My wife enjoyed treatments in the Spa which itself seemed to be everything you would look for. I used the gym and we both had a dip in the pool. All of the leisure facilities were clean and well maintained.
Dinner in the restaurant was excellent as was the service. Breakfast the following morning was also good.
We have been to a lot of spa hotels and would have to rank the Pulman up with the best. Pretty faultless.
We will definitely return.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple