“Best Massage I've Ever Had”

Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa
Ranked #8 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
“Best Massage I've Ever Had”
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed at The Grosvenor Pulford Hotel with a friend for a girly weekend. The hotel was difficult to find even with a satnav but once I had arrived everything else was amazing from start to finish. The Kasia Spa was excellent, the gardens beautiful (although the pagoda could have used a tidy up). The relaxation room was lovely as was the waterfall lounge. However it's crowning glory was the amazing full body massage I had. I left feeling both relaxed and as if all my muscles had been worked. The staff were very attentive although how to get service in the conservatory is a little confusing. We were unsure whether to ask at the spa desk or go through to the brasserie in our dressing gowns.

Our hotel room was on a balcony overlooking the fountain and was a really beautiful part of the hotel. The hotel is a mix of traditional and Mediterranean decor. The fountain area would be a lovely place to sit with drinks. The room was clean, nicely decorated and comfortable. The WIFI connection was very good.

We booked a table at Nelson's Bar when we checked in and arrived early. We had drinks at the bar but probably could have asked to be seated as it wasn't full. We decided to order quite a few starters and sides between us but we underestimated the size of the portions-very generous! The food was all lovely, especially the mini Cumberland Sausages!

I would definitely stay at this hotel again and I would recommend it to anyone.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
Glasgow, Scotland
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Stayed in this hotel while on sight-seeing trip to Chester and trip to Chester Races. Brought our dog. Hotel is very comfortable and informal with excellent reception staff. Very glad we'd booked a superior room as it was large and well supplied with toiletries. Couldn't believe that the dog was welcomed in the bar and casual restaurant. The outstanding gardens are a feature of the hotel and much appreciated by the dog - and us. Was good to leave the car in the car park and use the bus which stops almost at the door to visit the old town and the races. Was very impressed by the immaculate swimming pool and leisure facilities. Our view might have been slightly coloured by the glorious weather while we were staying, but we feel this hotel is real find, and management are to be congratulated on their fantastic staff (especially the gardeners). They even looked after the dog while we were at the races (at a price).

Room Tip: Go for a superior room. Worth the slight extra cost.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank blackeyetwo
Wrexham
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

Went with my wife for an overnight stay which was a last minute booking. Living locally we had both been for weddings and food at Nelsons Bar before so knew what to expect.
Check in was delt with quickly and before we knew it we were swimming in the roman inspired pool with a quick sauna as well.
After freshening up in our well kept room we went for a drink at the bar which was busy but did not feel packed, good atmosphere with plenty of people eating from the bar menu.
We had a table booked for an evening meal, which on a sunday is a carvery only. A little disapointed to begin with but the food was very good and we didnt have to stand in line waiting to be served like you sometime do at carverys.
We both slept well although a wedding party insisted on knocking on our door, as well as others, at gone 1am. Not the hotel fault just a few drunken plonkers!
Breakfast was good too with no complaints.
The only two things we could 'moan' about were the lack of complimentary conditioner in the bathroom and a full length mirror in the room. No big issues really...
Will be back again...

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank curlywotsit
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Room 51 was fab, £205 is a little steep but the room decor and quality is good, but room 51 was a superior room. Amazing free standing bath, rainfall shower, 4 poster bed, flat screen TV, all the things you need. Slight down falls was the air con didn't get cold, and the TV in the bathroom didn't work, but good touches to the room.
Staff were professional and friendly, though paying for the room upfront on arrival was strange.
Gardens are beautiful, spa and leisure facilities all top notch.

A very welcoming hotel, would definitely stay again, as I said before the prices were high but I expect that at a four star hotel. Highly recommend the bars and restaurants.

Breakfast was a buffet one but as good as you can get. Good selection, welcoming service in a light and relaxing restaurant.

Would definitely come back.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dpowers1
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We returned to this hotel having been invited to an evening where the group's chef demonstrated his cooking skills before we ate the results. All very Blue Peter of course"Here's one I produced earlier" Just as well when the salmon is prepared over several days and the beef cooked overnight! If such an evening is repeated I am sure that our party would want to repeat the experience. The chef gave a really interesting insight into all aspects of food in the chain & the knowledgeable wine merchant who provided wines especially chosen for each course added to the interest.
But what really made this an excellent weekend, aside from the luxury of the special room, was the equally excellent staff. There wasn't one who made us feel anything less than VIPs, really seeming to take an interest in our having the best possible experience. Apologies to them for the delay in publishing this report.

Room Tip: The room was one of the most modern and very much geared up to the more discerning, perhaps younger...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

We stopped for two nights and found it to be a lovely hotel. The rooms are nice and the hotel is well looked after. They kindly upgraded our room so my pregnant girlfriend didn't have to climb lots of stairs.

The main restaurant is lovely and I recommend the trio of pork and white choc soufflé.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Samjam20
Western Ireland, Ireland
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Our stay in the Grosvenor Pulford has inspired me to write my first ever TA review and sadly not for the right reasons. My husband, son and I stayed on 4th August and booked the Grosvenor Pulford with the intention of finishing off our 4 night trip to London with a little relaxing treat - some shopping in Chester, a trip to the hotel spa and a nice dinner. We arrived at the hotel later than planned and knew we would have to forego the spa but we were hungry and looking forward to a nice relaxing meal. First impressions of the hotel were good - it's a beautiful building in a nice little quite village so I was really looking forward to our stay. The receptionist who checked us in was pleasant enough but did ask for payment for the room upfront as standard policy - I thought this was odd as they did have my card details from when I made the booking and normally in any other hotel the account is settled on check out. I paid cash and when I asked for a receipt I was told I would get it in the morning when we checked out. We were allocated room 43 and to say this was a disappointment is putting it mildly. We had booked an Executive Double with a child bed and whilst the room was big the decor was quite jaded and was nothing like the picture of an Executive room on their website - in fact it looked nothing like any of the rooms on their website! The carpet felt unclean and almost damp and there was a stale smell. The bathroom was a shabby with a stained toilet seat, grouting in the shower needed refreshing and the down lighters in the room were really badly fitted with a very slapdash appearance. Our room was on the corner so apart from a sliding patio door there was a small window on the side but with only an old style arm to hold it in place so I did not feel secure leaving it open all night as it was over my child's bed and easily unlatched from the outside. The rooms beside us that had no side window seem to only have a patio door and no window to leave open overnight if required. There was no safe, air-conditioning or fridge in the room and sound insulation between our room and the one above seemed non-existent as we could hear every single footstep of the person stomping from one side of the room to the other and we could clearly hear their TV well in to the night. We had a long day travelling and didn't want to make a big fuss and ruin our last night so we decided we would live and learn as far as the room went and made our way out to Nelson's bar for dinner, which the hotel bills as a "Gastro Pub". This is a nice old style room with lovely original feature windows and was probably one-third occupied when we arrived. The menu is quite basic really - sandwiches, panini, then the usual main course offerings of fish and chips, burger, steak, Thai green curry etc, which are all fine if done really well but that's not the case here so calling Nelson's a gastro pub is ambitious to say the least. The biggest let down of all however is the terrible service. In print on the inside bottom of the menu where the nibbles, starters and sandwiches are listed it says that orders should be placed at the bar and as we were going straight to main courses I did not see that notice (I did look on the front and back of the menu for any indication) and there was one waiter in the room serving only some tables so this was very confusing. When the person who I assume was the restaurant manager passed us I ask him and he abruptly said as he continued to walk by that we need to order at the bar. When I approached the bar there were a couple of people already waiting, one lady in particular seemed a bit irritated by the wait. The barman looked quite disinterested and didn't offer any "will be with you in a minute" or acknowledgement that he knew we were waiting to order. It seemed really odd to have a waiter serve some tables but to ask others to order at the bar and yet only one bar man was serving both drinks and taking food orders. Eventually another barman appeared who took time to stand and joke for a minute with the first barman and he then proceeded to walk passed us to serve someone who just walked in. Eventually it was my turn to get the barman's attention and he told me he would need to swipe our room card to place the order or I had to pay up front for the food. I went back to the table to get our room card and he then told me that it was the folded paper card that held the room card that he required so I then went back to the table to get my purse to pay for the mains. This coupled with the payment up front request at reception didn't set a good tone as it seems a little suspicious on their part and I also felt that now they had our money there was no recourse for us or incentive for them to care about the service or standards. The meal arrived and my son's burger was barely warm although it was cooked through and similarly the lamb shank ordered by my husband was not hot, he also complained about tiny serving of mash. They were both so hungry that they ate anyway. I had the haddock which was a good size and hot but was watery and had absolutely no flavour. The restaurant manager approached to ask how the meal was and we told him as nicely as possible and in fairness he did offer my husband another lamb shank but his appetite had depleted by then. Interesting we overheard another diner at a table near to us who seemed to be a regular call the manager over and tell him that the food was not hot enough. The girl who cleared the tables did not talk or smile the entire time despite our polite "thank yous". I had popped in to Ciro's Brasserie in the hotel to look at their menu and the manager in there was very nice and welcoming and we really regretted our decision to try the "gastro pub" instead. Considering the terrible service in the bar we decided not to relax there and have a couple of drinks as originally planned and instead went back to our room where we discovered that despite their claim that WiFi is available throughout the hotel there was no signal in our room for either the WiFi or our phones! After a very stuffy and uncomfortable night we got up early for breakfast before heading off on our return journey but again both the service (no one in this hotel apart from the receptionist or Ciro's manager seems to smile at all) and the quality of the food were terrible - runny scrambled eggs, sausages that oozed grease (deep fried I think) so we filled up on toast which we had to get the staffs attention to ask for as there were no offers of tea/coffee refills or anyone checking if we needed anything else. After spending 4 nights in a 4* in London that cost us only £8 per night more than the Grosvenor Pulford but with far superior service, room standard and breakfast it's hard to see how the Grosvenor Pulford justifies charging GBP155 per night for such poor quality. My son said it was the worst hotel he ever stayed in and I have to agree. Definitely not worth GBP155 per night and definitely a big disappointment for our last night. When checking out the receptionist asked me if everything was okay - my response was "just okay" and she didn't enquire further. We really didn't want to spend the last night of our trip complaining and tried to put a smile on our faces for the sake of our boy. Definitely not a 4* experience and I don't understand the high rating on TA.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family