“Beautiful hotel”

Ranked #6 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Arlington, Texas
“Beautiful hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

We stayed here August 6-10. The rooms were clean, the beds were comfortable, the staff was friendly and helpful. What more could you want. Well maybe air conditioning in August.

We were visiting Chester and a travel agent found us this hotel. I was glad we had a car because it is not in Chester, its about 10-20 minutes outside of Chester, depending on traffic. The grounds of the hotel and spa are lovely. The hotel is very nice. The restaurant inside the hotel is a little pricey but very good food and excellent service. Breakfast is served in the restaurant and it was very satisfying. The bar is everything you'd expect from an English pub. My daughter was lucky enough to get an appointment at the spa and she loved it. The only thing lacking was air conditioning. I'm sure that this is not a problem 10 months out of the year. But in August, the rooms are a little sticky even up to midnight. They do provide a small oscillating fan in the room. That said, I'd stay here again, even in August.

Here are my suggestions to consider in staying here. First, have a car. My boys took a cab ride back from Chester on Friday before midnight and Saturday after midnight and their Chester pub crawl. It cost them $10 and $15, pounds. My boys can also vouch for the friendly and efficient room service after midnight and the great sandwiches they serve. Next, it has a beautiful spa and you should take advantage of it so book ahead. If you make the mistake of waiting till you get there like me, you'll find the appointments are few and far between. But it was August, the height of their vacation season. Still, I think the spa is a very popular attraction and doesn't want for customers so, book ahead. Take into consideration the lack of air conditioning. It really wasn't a huge issue because the nights were cool and pleasant.

The hotel and its grounds are beautiful and well kept. The food was good. I could definitely stay here and never make it into Chester and be very happy with my trip. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
Bury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed for two nights for a pamper and races hen do. I was blown away by the spa. It was absolutely gorgeous and huge. The staff were brilliant and made you feel so relaxed. I really enjoyed the treatments and the afternoon tea. I couldn't get over how beautiful the outdoor spa gardens were either and how much you got for your money. We stayed in a normal twin room which was really nice too with everything you need. The hotel is about 10 mins away from Chester Races in a taxi. The hotel staff were really helpful in booking us taxis and looking after us and you got free wifi. If definitely go back and really want to try out the spa again.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank katyeb84
Derbyshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

This is one of the best hotels I've stayed in, all the staff are great, friendly and helpful. The room was amazing, we did have a superior room though. It was well decorated and spacious. The breakfast was really nice. Buffet style, which I like better. The spa was beautiful and also the pool area was good for those not going to the spa. Truly a great hotel.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Niall1b
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

Recently stayed here for a spa and overnight package deal with my partner which I booked through the Wahanda website. The package included a treatment each full use of the spa plus a nights stay at the hotel. We arrived at 9am at the Kasia spa check in was easy and the staff were lovely. After filling out a form we were given a tour of the spa and facilities I was very impressed the spa was spotlessly clean even down to the changing room and everything seemed very organised. After getting changed we had some time in the 'waterfall room' which is the waiting area to sit in before treatments and were given a fruit tea and had time to relax we then had little sit in the relaxation room which was nice and you could have fresh fruit and chilled water as nice as the room was it was only small and only had 4 recliners and we didn't get the chance to return as it was always full this is a bit of a downside to the spa the room just doesn't provide enough space for its guests. We then spent some time in the Asian sensory gardens which was very nice we didn't stay long as we had to get back to the 'waterfall room' as our treatments were due we couldn't spend to long out here but we did return for a little bit later on as it was really nice. Whilst waiting for treatments to begin we were offered more fruit tea! We both had the energising massage we were both taken to our own individual treatment rooms with a therapist each, my room was near the 'waterfall room'. The treatment was amazing and the best massage I've had it included a back scrub, massage and head massage the therapist was really nice and great at her job using the right pressure and asking if everything was ok, the room I was in was nice, relaxed and very peaceful. My partner ended up in a room down the stairs and although the treatment was good it was kind of cut short not only was my partner taken in just after me and had further to walk therefore the treatment started after mine, it was over about 5 to 10 minutes before my treatment was and quite a bit of noise could be heard from trolleys being moved and some banging which I would imagine would take away from the experience. We waited in another area that consisted of a bench and a water feature to relax a little and then we decided to head to the pool, jacuzzi, sauna and steam rooms. This area is separate from the spa very clean and well maintained although I did feel the changing rooms for this area seem a bit tired but again very clean. The pool area is also used by hotel guests and gym members as well as spa guests and although the pool is quite big there isn't much space around the pool to relax only having 5 recliners for guests which it doesn't take long for there not to be much space for people. All in all the spa looks very good but there is a lack of space for relaxing and the spa itself doesn't actually have much in it only consisting of a couple of small relaxing areas, a Haman room and the treatment and changing rooms as the jacuzzi as well as the steam room and sauna are in the separate pool area I do feel the spa area needs these things also!

After we had finished in the spa we decided to have afternoon tea in the spa cafe sandwiches were ok and the cakes were really lovely although I feel the scones should have had clotted cream with them as the cream that was provided seemed to be more like a squirty cream. As I don't like tea I ordered coffee with my afternoon tea which I would have thought would have been given as a pot of coffee as this is what normally happens but I only received one cup which I thought was a little tight considering it came to almost £15 per person!

We checked into the hotel and the check in staff were really nice the guy explained everything to me and was nice to chat to I was also informed our stay included breakfast which I hadn't realised so that was a nice surprise. When booking through Wahanda I had to phone the spa so I could book our treatment and whilst on the phone there was mention of a room upgrade etc when we arrived to our room we were not entirely sure what kind of room we had, it wasn't too bad quite small but seemed fairly comfortable with everything you needed although there wasn't any aircon but they did provide a fan. The room we had was one of the rooms that surrounded the court yard (room 6) and we were on the ground floor so felt we were a little exposed and wondered how much we would be disturbed by people outside and smokers and as I said it was nice but didn't seem anything special to call it an up grade but I didn't question it as I was slightly confused as although my confirmation from the hotel/spa said superior upgrade my Wahanda confirmation only stated standard room. We also noticed the walls seemed quite thin and anyone in the corridor could easily be heard however the hotel generally seemed quiet so we didn't worry too much about this. We tried to have a sleep after having a quick drink in Nelsons and going for a walk around the grounds which was nice with trees, flowers, and a pond, as we wanted a rest before going for dinner but we found it impossible to relax because above us there was constant banging that sounded like someone was going to come through the ceiling. I went to reception to ask if there was any work going on above us and the woman on the desk was really nice she said there wasn't but from the system could see there was a family above us. Now I feel problems can arise in hotels through no fault of their own but the way problems are handled proves how good a hotel is, I was told they would move us to another room in another part of the hotel on the top floor where we wouldn't be disturbed and our next room was amazing it was in the old part of the hotel was lovely and big and was so quiet it was old fashioned but very nice and in keeping with the building and well maintained as well as very clean! It also had aircon. The bathroom was amazing with a free standing bath and we had a lovely quiet night,thank you so much for the move. The hotel also provides complementary wifi in the rooms which is great and it was a pretty good signal.

Our evening meal was in the hotels restaurant Ciro's as with the rest of the hotel the staff were lovely and so friendly we were shown to our table and our orders for drinks and food were taken quick and efficiently the food was really nice and really good sized portions. We had the mussels for starters, the beef for the main and our coffee at the end included a homemade cookie all very nice. Throughout the evening the staff were very attentive and so friendly. It was all really good value for money and very reasonably priced.

After our meal we got a drink from Nelsons were we drank earlier the bar is nice and cozy and again great staff. When we went in the afternoon we sat in the bar and it was nice and relaxed. In the evening we took our drinks into the sitting area in the hotels reception which was nice to sit and was nice and cozy.

The following morning we went down for breakfast as room service would have a £5 tray charge for each breakfast which we thought was a bit steep seeing as most hotels will only charge for one tray charge. Breakfast was in the breakfast room which is through to back of Ciro's. It was a buffet, help your self style and it was all really nice food and you could have as much as you wanted, the staff again were great as they took our orders for toast and tea/coffee.

Over all our stay was nice with just the odd problem that was dealt with really well.

I would like to return but the general high prices would put me off and if I am being honest as nice as the hotel is I have stayed in nicer for a much cheaper price, however it is worth looking out for deals online!

Room Tip: Large suites in old part of hotel are best for quiet nights sleep but do cost more
2 Thank David0ff82
Liverpool
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

My partner and I stayed in this hotel for a night after using the Spa as part of a package deal. We both had a massage booked at 10:15 and arrived at the spa for 9:00. We were welcomed in by staff in the spa, who were very friendly and chatty. The spa itself was lovely. It was clean and well maintained. We usually use Doubletree by Hilton Spa, which itself is great, but nowhere near as clean and as well maintained as this spa. That was the first thing we noticed on arrival.

Once we had filled out consultations forms we were told to remove our shoes, which we thought should have happened somewhere a bit more private than opposite the Reception desk with other guests looking over their shoulder. Not a major problem though. We were then given slippers and given a tour of the spa and it's facilities by a lovely member of staff called Sarah. It was good to be given the tour, again this isn't offered at Doubletree.

We were shown to the spa's male changing room and once changed were given some fruit tea before going off to enjoy the facilities. The facilities, once again are clean, well maintained and relaxing. The only downside is that the relaxation room had only four recliners. The room was constantly full. More recliners needed and a bigger room. This was the same at the pool....only five recliners and at one point the pool was very busy with hotel guests, spa guests and gym members. Again though, pool area was very clean and clearly looked after. The pool changing room needs a bit of TLC though- wouldn't liked to have had to get changed in there!

The massages both my partner and I had were brilliant. We agreed that the massages were probably the best we've ever had. Great pressure and also included a little head massage too! The only complaints I have, is one: my massage was roughly 5-10 minutes shorter than my partners and I don't think I got the full 40 minutes (didn't realise til much later on). And two: whilst having my massage some kind of maintenance work was taking place close to the room (men talking loudly and banging) for about 5 minutes. There was also the sound of trollies being pulled across the bumpy stone floor. Not very relaxing, but that said, this does happen in doubletree too. A great massage though and I would return for another for sure.

In my opinion, the spa area should have it's own sauna, steam room and jacuzzi as it was annoying having to walk through reception to enter the pool area to use these facilities. It was always very busy too as it was full of hotel guests using them. The actual spa (not including the pool area) had very little in it for exclusive use by spa visitors- spa area had only hamman and two small relaxation areas.

Afternoon tea was gorgeous and I would definitely recommend! The Asian garden was also nice and relaxing. All in all a great spa and we hope to return.

The hotel itself is lovely, with four star service from all the staff. I'm not sure the hotel itself is four star, but staff and customer service are first class. It does benefit from quiet, relaxed countryside surroundings and has a bit of a garden to walk around, as well as the Asian themed garden in the spa.

After checking in, we had issues with our first room and this was dealt with very well. We had a noisy family above us and it sounded as if the children, who were banging on the floor, were going to come through the ceiling. Not sure that part of the hotel is soundproofed very well as we could here people talking in other rooms and in the corridors. Not sure you'd get much sleep during the night here either, as the main smoking area is situated in a courtyard right outside these rooms.

Reception dealt with the situation by moving us and they even upgraded our room. We were delighted and pleased that our complaint was dealt with very well. We also had a problem with the TV in the new room (room 78) Again, this was dealt with very well. What else can you ask for? Problems do happen but it's about how they are dealt with. The whole staff were pleasant and couldn't do enough to help! The new room was old fashioned but clean and comfortable. It was very spacious and quiet too. Don't know how people have complained about this room!

We used both Nelson's bar and Ciro's restaurant whilst at the hotel. We used Nelson's for drinks- reasonably priced with friendly staff. Again, same in Ciro's-great staff, especially impressed with friendliness of manager Andrei. Food was amazing and well priced. We also ate in Ciro's for breakfast, which was buffet style and this also was brilliant!

We would love to return to use the hotel (as well as the spa) but feel the prices for the hotel stay itself will deter us. It is very expensive for a night's stay. Maybe we'll look out for another spa and stay special rate!

Room Tip: Rooms are expensive, but if you need a quiet room pay the extra for one not in the newest part of th...
2 Thank Paulos_C_23
Wrexham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

stayed overnight after my cousins wedding, its a bit pricey but we loved the place. the staff were fab and helpful, food was lovely. shame we couldn't have afforded to stay longer and used the facilities.

Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed at The Grosvenor Pulford Hotel with a friend for a girly weekend. The hotel was difficult to find even with a satnav but once I had arrived everything else was amazing from start to finish. The Kasia Spa was excellent, the gardens beautiful (although the pagoda could have used a tidy up). The relaxation room was lovely as was the waterfall lounge. However it's crowning glory was the amazing full body massage I had. I left feeling both relaxed and as if all my muscles had been worked. The staff were very attentive although how to get service in the conservatory is a little confusing. We were unsure whether to ask at the spa desk or go through to the brasserie in our dressing gowns.

Our hotel room was on a balcony overlooking the fountain and was a really beautiful part of the hotel. The hotel is a mix of traditional and Mediterranean decor. The fountain area would be a lovely place to sit with drinks. The room was clean, nicely decorated and comfortable. The WIFI connection was very good.

We booked a table at Nelson's Bar when we checked in and arrived early. We had drinks at the bar but probably could have asked to be seated as it wasn't full. We decided to order quite a few starters and sides between us but we underestimated the size of the portions-very generous! The food was all lovely, especially the mini Cumberland Sausages!

I would definitely stay at this hotel again and I would recommend it to anyone.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends