“If desperate only!”

Ranked #31 of 44 Hotels in Chester
liverpool
“If desperate only!”
Reviewed 1 November 2011

We had to attend a wedding in Chester & since there was no availability in the wedding hotel, ended up staying in Days Hotel. It cost £69 for one night. I expected it to be of the same standard as Premier Inn or Travel Lodge but was disappointed. The room & the bathroom was clean. Inside the room, there was a door which looked like it was leading to the adjacent room but was locked from the other side. This was very strange & I had never seen anything like this before. The double bed was small for 2 people. The bathroom heater was making a noise when we returned. The edges of the heater & the shower looked rusty. On a positive note, the staff at the recpetion was courteous & there is good parking facility.
Advice: I would book this place only if there is no availability in Premier inn or travel lodge.

1 Thank nishmist

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Peel, Isle of Man
Reviewed 30 October 2011

I've stayed here a few times on business, and for the price charged I can't fault the hotel.

The rooms are nice and what you would expect for a £70~ a night price bracket. I wouldn't say the restaurant was award winning, but I provides decent food and the price is OK.

Very good wi-fi connection and a free guest computer (don't see this very often now, but when you only have a work laptop with you, they can be very useful for looking at personal emails).

Breakfast has always been fine, it would be nice to have fried eggs available on the hot buffet, but that's not a major thing.

The hotel is next to a very busy motorway, and you can hear it. This doesn't bother me because I live next to a major road anyway, but if you have trouble sleeping with road noise then this not the hotel for you.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
MattKnight, General Manager at Gateway to Wales Hotel, responded to this review, 2 November 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor, I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope that you will consider us again on your next visit to the area.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2011

Myself and my husband stayed here for a short break we had a room on the first floor which was clean spacious and just what we were looking for. The reception area was light clean and has leather sofas to sit and relax with a glass of wine.The restaurant food was great value for money. breakfast was buffet style with good quality products.Leisure club is great and also incudes garra ruffa.A great hotel with friendly staff.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2011

We arrived at the hotel for a weekend away with the kids on half term and checked into a family room which was interconnecting a double room and a twin,The rooms were very clean and just what we were looking for. The leisure club was great for us all to relax and the kids to have fun in the pool. We ate in the restaurant which was great value for money breakfast was served there too. Only 10 mins from chester which has plenty of things to do. We will return again next year.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2011

Myself and my partner stayed at this hotel whilst on a short break away. We booked the hotel through laterooms.com we chose the hotel as the facilities looked really nice and something that would resemble a 3 start hotel, however on arrival we was shocked to find out otherwise.

On the hotel website they state that the hotel is in a quite area between chester and northwales, really it was located at the side of a VERY BUSY motorway which ment that sleeping with the window open was vertually impossible, lorries were going past all night. As for the room, it was nothing like it had been previously advertised on laterooms and on the hotels website, on the hotel website it actually looks like a classy hotel in chester- this could not be further from the truth as it was a basic B&B that i would expect to find in blackpool! When reading the website the hotel really prides themselves on their beds-once again this couldnt be more wrong as me and my partner had backache in the morning, it was more like sleeping on a wooden plank rather than a comfortable bed! the bathroom needed redoing as most of the bathroom ceiling paint had come away from the wall! The shower curtain was veru dirty and clearly needed washing. the power shower was nothing like a power shower as the water pressure was ridicilously low.

we went down to the "award-winning" restaurant on our second night and the prices were just ridicilous, I would expect to see these kind of prices in a michelin started restaurant not a small hotel on the side of a busy motorway. The breakfast was not worth £7.50 as it didnt even have the usual English breakfast ingrediants such as fried eggs, mushrooms. Also the restaurant looked nothing like advertised on the website or in the brochures in the hotel.

when looking on the website of the facilities are clearly falsley advertised as they look nothing like the actual hote. The gym facilities are also very very small,and the pool resembles a small kiddies paddling pool rather than a swimming pool. the jacuzzi in the corner was vertually falling apart, the water was absolutely disgusting, it was opaque!

we had been told that there was sky tv in the room, once again this was a lie! we had 4 working channels in our room and one of which had been taken out of SKY as it looked like a sky tv channel all the others were just digital tv.

i would not stay here again as it was absolutely appouling!

Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
MattKnight, General Manager at Gateway to Wales Hotel, responded to this review, 30 October 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write your review of your experience with us recently here at Days Hotel Chester North. I am disapointed to read that your stay wasn't everything that you expected and for this I apologise. Your comments are not indicitive of the comments we receive generally as you will see from other Tripadvisor comments, which means we will focus on the points that you have raised and improve on our service.

Thank you once again for your valuable comments and we hope that you would consider us again in the future.

Matt Knight

Travellers are raving about these Chester hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 October 2011

On the up side
Excellent WiFi connection, possibly the best I've ever seen in a cheapish hotel. Also the room and bathroom were generally clean.

On the down side
1. My room had twin beds inexplicably, despite requesting a double. Squeezing an adult male frame into a hotel chain's toy single beds is always an underwhelming sleep experience.

2. My room overlooked the hotel's swimming pool, by which I mean room window-5 yards of courtyard-swimming pool window. Gazing out over the gateway to Wales surely doesn't mean a Deeside fella's ample bum in Speedos.

3. The food. Frightening that this can still be possible with Jamie and Gordon on the telly so much. Spaghetti Carbonara (which was way over a tenner, mind) was literally noodles and bacon with cold cream and cheddar cheese dumped over it. Garlic bread was a bread roll shoved in a toaster. Breakfast was equally grim.

Overall very poor, and (if you know what I mean) just not cheap enough to get away with being this ropey.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
MattKnight, General Manager at Gateway to Wales Hotel, responded to this review, 22 October 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on the site regarding your recent stay at Days Hotel. I am disapointed to read that the hotel and especially the food did not live up to your expectaions. As you can see from recent comments, we pride ourselves on offering great food, great service and at a great price.

Please contact me directly and we can discuss in detail your stay.

Kind regards

Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 October 2011

Used this hotel as a base for exploring Chester,North Wales and Liverpool and was really impressed with the friendly service,nothing was too much trouble for the staff and was always greeted with a smile!I booked on a DBB special and have to say the food was fantastic on all 3 nights I ate in the restaurant and as for the breakfasts,there was a great choice and freshly cooked!!
After reading some of the reviews I thought that my room would be noisy with traffic but never heard a thing....
All in all I would definately return to this hotel the next time I am in the area!
Credit to all the staff,keep up the good work!!!!!!

1 Thank Judith W