“Broken toilet seat, staff fighting with the chef , porter ended up cooking”

Gateway to Wales Hotel
Ranked #34 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed 7 November 2011

Room was ok, could have been cleaner, found the odd hair in the bathroom ! yuck, toilet seat was broken and was missing screws to hold the cistern down. location a bit of a wild west place, so traveling out by car essential. ended up going out for food as chef had been sent to a 'meeting' ahem ! after a public barney with staff, evening had a limited boil in the bag menu cooked by the maintenance guy for an exorbitant price. Staff pleasant and welcoming. stench of dampness obviously after substantial flooding was very evident. We Had planned to hang about and swim and eat and drink but made our escape and only slept there . Very Disappointing.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
MattKnight, General Manager at Gateway to Wales Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2011

Thank you for your responce during your stay with us 11 months ago. I have looked into your comments and the subsequent correspondence and feel that your comments are simply a case of you seeing something else from some very innocent circumstances.

-Our Head Chef was at a meeting on the day you stayed with us, nothing at all sinister in that.
-One of our fully qualified and talented chef's has another job and has simply come into work in his uniform from his other job. Our maintenance staff would never ever cook food in our kitchen
-Our food could never, ever be discribed at 'boil in the bag' our team of award winning Chefs, headed by Flintshire Chef of the Year cook all of there dishes from scratch, we may have offered a reduced menu, but this was due to the time of year and the hotel being quieter than normal.

I am sorry that Days Hotel didn't offer everything that you were looking for, but I do hope this would not deter you from staying with us again when in the Chester / North Wales area.

Kind regards

Reviewed 6 November 2011

We have used Days Hotel Chester North for a large number of events and business meetings over the last four years. Matt and the staff at the hotel are great to work with and become part of the team when organising your event. The convenient location and ample parking makes it a great central point to meet for both the North West and North Wales.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Ruth L

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent vist, I am delighted with your comments and we hope that you will return again and again to Days Hotel.

Kind regards

Reviewed 1 November 2011

I used their function room for my 21st party. I had 60 guests for a sit down meal and then a disco after. Its a beautiful room and is a good size... it fit my 60 guests in perfectly with space between the 9 tables. Matt (The manager) was very helpful and made sure that my 21st was perfect. I hired the room for free (as long as you ensure that a lot of money is spent at the bar), the DJ charged a good price and was really good. He played what ever song we wanted and if he didn't have it, he downloaded it there and then. The food was gorgeous and all the staff were polite. They provided napkins to match your colour theme, a table plan and place name cards. My family were allowed to go before hand to set up the room how they wished. I had the best 21st party and would recommend Days Hotel Chester North to anyone for a party or function. I didn't stay at the hotel so can not comment on that part. Thank you so much to everyone who worked to my make the evening perfect ... Thank you.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Hannah H
Reviewed 1 November 2011

We had to attend a wedding in Chester & since there was no availability in the wedding hotel, ended up staying in Days Hotel. It cost £69 for one night. I expected it to be of the same standard as Premier Inn or Travel Lodge but was disappointed. The room & the bathroom was clean. Inside the room, there was a door which looked like it was leading to the adjacent room but was locked from the other side. This was very strange & I had never seen anything like this before. The double bed was small for 2 people. The bathroom heater was making a noise when we returned. The edges of the heater & the shower looked rusty. On a positive note, the staff at the recpetion was courteous & there is good parking facility.
Advice: I would book this place only if there is no availability in Premier inn or travel lodge.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nishmist
Reviewed 30 October 2011

I've stayed here a few times on business, and for the price charged I can't fault the hotel.

The rooms are nice and what you would expect for a £70~ a night price bracket. I wouldn't say the restaurant was award winning, but I provides decent food and the price is OK.

Very good wi-fi connection and a free guest computer (don't see this very often now, but when you only have a work laptop with you, they can be very useful for looking at personal emails).

Breakfast has always been fine, it would be nice to have fried eggs available on the hot buffet, but that's not a major thing.

The hotel is next to a very busy motorway, and you can hear it. This doesn't bother me because I live next to a major road anyway, but if you have trouble sleeping with road noise then this not the hotel for you.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
MattKnight, General Manager at Gateway to Wales Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor, I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope that you will consider us again on your next visit to the area.

Reviewed 30 October 2011

Myself and my husband stayed here for a short break we had a room on the first floor which was clean spacious and just what we were looking for. The reception area was light clean and has leather sofas to sit and relax with a glass of wine.The restaurant food was great value for money. breakfast was buffet style with good quality products.Leisure club is great and also incudes garra ruffa.A great hotel with friendly staff.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 30 October 2011

We arrived at the hotel for a weekend away with the kids on half term and checked into a family room which was interconnecting a double room and a twin,The rooms were very clean and just what we were looking for. The leisure club was great for us all to relax and the kids to have fun in the pool. We ate in the restaurant which was great value for money breakfast was served there too. Only 10 mins from chester which has plenty of things to do. We will return again next year.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family