Gateway to Wales Hotel
US$93
PremierInn.com
US$217
  • Restaurant
All reviewsdays hotelleisure clubblue planet aquariumsteam room and saunasmall poolnorth waleswell equipped gymwould stay againmain roadcheshire oakslick of paintfriendly hotelvery pleasant staystayed here for one nightdouble roomcourse mealbuffet style
Reviewed 24 January 2014

We stayed here in september. It's very clean, with modern rooms. Polite helpfull staff and a relaxed atmostphere. The pool and suana are clean and free to use. Its not the hight of luxury but its brilliant for the money you pay. Nice relaxing weekend in a great location for a day out. We just booked to stay again this week for a trip into chester and a relax in the pool.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Reading reviews we arrived with trepidation. The drive to the hotel took us through an industrial estate and surrounding area was hardly inspiring though we were not there for the views but for the ease of getting into Chester. The position of the dual carriageway outside the hotel could be a problem if you are a light sleeper. The room we had was clean and tidy, pillows and sheets white, towels fluffy and white. Quite a spacious room tv tea & coffee making facilities iron and ironing board.
We found the members of staff very professional because we needed a bulb on the first night and a hairdryer on the following morning. These issues were sorted promptly but there should have been a hairdryer in the room initially.
We chose the hotel for the use of the leisure facilities. As other guests have pointed out there is some repair work needed by the pool side and this has not been attended to yet and the spa, though a lovely treat needed a good clean. We used the gym, sauna and steam room all inclusive in the price.
I had paid £45 a night but could have paid £38 if I'd have made my decision sooner! I paid an extra £13 for breakfast for my partner and I for the two day stay which we felt was value for money. Good choice of cereals, cooked breakfast offering scrambled eggs. tomatoes, bacon, beans, sausage and hash browns. This was the same both days so don't know if there is a variety of egg dishes through the week. My partner did have one issue with a hash brown that was still frozen and took it back to be reheated. Nit picking a little there were still chips under our table from the previous night.
Free papers were an added little bonus. We never sat in the foyer so can't confirm previous guests comments about seating being shabby.
We both thought that for the price paid and ease of getting in to Chester we could recommend to others. It is 5 miles from Chester, at most 3 miles from a park & ride which is a better option than parking in the city as you could be paying £7 for 4 hours parking. Evening parking rates we found were £4.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank thefastwalker
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Stayed for one night end of December. The place from the outside looks very shabby and run down but on entering the building, the reception area looked ok. Then we went to the room. It was very poor on appearance. It looked like a four year old had painted it, there was paint spattered all over the radiator and skirting boards, no bedside lights, television on the wall was nearly touching the ceiling and made your neck hurt if you tried to watch it, table lamp did not work and bathroom radiator was broken. The room was freezing cold and I mean cold, we had to keep our coats on as you could see your breath. The radiator had not been switched on even though it was Winter! A draught blew through the closed windows which made it worse. Bathroom was in dire need of refurbishment. There were only curtains in the room or a very thick pull down blind so there was no privacy or natural day light, normally there is a net curtain. We went to reception and they gave us a different room. The new room was again cold and draughty as the radiator was off but the bathroom was a bit cleaner, and the room was a slight improvement on the last one. The bed was the hardest bed I have ever slept on, it was like lying on bricks. The leisure facility was pretty grim I am afraid. The pool lovely and warm but around the edges were broken tiles and it was quite dirty. Changing rooms were horrendous. Floors soaking wet and in some areas water nearly an inch deep, one toilet was covered in some kind of soil and dust??? Never seen that before! The benches were wet and slimy and the shower itself was filthy. I was disappointed with the place as I have stayed in Days Inn before and it has always been good. We did not eat in the restaurant as it was overpriced for what it offered and to be honest I was not in the mood for being let down any more that I had been already. I would not stay here again nor would I recommend it.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Janinnwales
Reviewed 31 December 2013

I booked this hotel due to its good reviews and the leisure spa it offers to all visitors however when me and my boyfriend went to try the spa we were less than impressed. The pool was ok, it was warm but not deep and had half of the tiles around the sides coming away, but we made do and had a swim. The jacuzzi which I had hoped to use, was empty with a sign saying out of order, as was the sauna. The steam room was good and the gym looked nice, although we didn't have a chance to try it. The rooms were good for the price. The restaurant was dead and there is hardly anything on the menu, so I would recommend eating outside.
I'd say overall a bit of a let down after so many good reviews, and believe me I'm not picky, just really not for a young couple.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn
Grahame C, Hotel Manager at Gateway to Wales Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review regarding your recent stay at our hotel. Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us and we will utilise your response by continuing to focus on making each and every guest experience the best it can be. We hope to be of service to you in the future.

Kind Regards,
Grahame Carrington | Hotel Manager

Reviewed 30 December 2013

We have stayed here at least a dozen times over the last 8 years or so. Our visits usually being weekend breaks away a couple of times a year. When we first visited the hotel it was back in the day before it became days inn and was simply known as The Gateway to Wales hotel. We have always sung the praises of this place from the friendly helpful staff to lovely clean comfortable rooms, great food and best of all the leisure club.

Staff are still very friendly but I am sad to say though having just returned from a 2 day stay we will not be returning which is a real shame. I don't know what's happened whether it be management change or cut backs or quite what but we were shocked and disappointed at how a once great hotel is no more. The whole place needs a serious makeover. The sofas in the reception area are tatty and dirty, and the cushions/seats have been turned inside out, presumably as they are so grotty? The beds which were once so comfortable are now dreadful, and feel the springs digging into you. The noise from other guests slamming doors was more noticeable this time too. Finally, the leisure centre. . This used to be so lovely but it is now dirty. The floor edging around the pool is broken up and missing in parts. The jacuzzi and steam room were both out of order too. I am really sorry to say but having spent many a weekend at this hotel we won't be back, we will be finding somewhere new in the future. Shame, always loved this place. Days inn owners take note. . You need to put some money and time into brining this hotel back to what it once was.

• Stayed: December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review regarding your recent stay at our hotel. Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us, In addition, please know that your comments and issues will be addressed.

Kindest Regards