“OK VFM”

Gateway to Wales Hotel
Ranked #34 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed 8 September 2009

Some of the reviews for this hotel are quite poor. Though its not the best hotel I have ever stayed in it certainly isn't the worst and as I paid a £55.00 room rate I'd say it rates above a travel inn. There is a leisure centre. I found the room to be clean and quite spacious. Shower good, plenty of hot water. Staff helpful and food that I ate was nice, basic hotel food but none the less it was OK. Be warned if they are busy you will have to book a table I went down at 8.00 and there were no tables, I was offered room service at no extra cost so accepted the offer which suited me in any case.

If your on buisness and just want a comfortable hotel taht's value for money you could do much worse..........Others do mention the main road which is actually an M road! It is busy but if you close your window it dulls tHE noise to a low hum, no help in the summer months I suspect so bring a fan in case!!!! Or ask for a room on teh other side of the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business

Reviewed 1 August 2009

The Hotel looks great in the photos but when you are in the room there is no draws to store clothes only one wardrobe two chairs an LCD TV with channels all over the station spectrum not in any order and a max of 6 at most. The TV is too high on the wall in room 221 and when sitting on the bed you can't see the TV, Room 213 the TV is smaller but simular problem. The bath rooms are dirty they have black mould on the shower the shower tray and on the ceiling. the beds are clean and the sheets but the iron in the room is dirty along with the Iron board that had stains, not were you want to put a clean shirt. OK for one night only. But when in the bar pay for drinks in cash they seem to mess the billing to rooms up. Also check what you ask for as I asked for a J2o and lemonade and I got orange cordial and lemonade. Also the windows don't seem to fit well and you hear road noise all the time as next to main road into wales.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 May 2009

I tried to book two rooms at the Gateway to Wales because my daughter was entered into an ice skating competition at Deside ice rink. After entering all of my data for the stay I found I could not book two rooms at once and the system shot me back to the original screen. I tried again and just booked one room. What I didn't know was that it had reset the date for the room to that day. When I called to confirm the room two days later I was told that I had been a 'no show' and would be charged for both the rooms (which I couldn't book together ....hmmm) I had been ill and hadn't really looked over the details - which I admit did state that the room booking was somehow changed to the date I booked not the date that I entered. The woman did not offer me anything and just kept repeating that I did not have a room booked for Friday and that I was a no-show. I did try to explain that I had been ill and but that was to no avail. In the end I had to book at the Crabwall Manor for my husband and 2 children while I ended up in hospital - I was really ill but there was no leeway from the Gateway to Wales! I will relate my story to other skating families and offer up the Crabwall Manor as a better and more sympathetic alternative!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family