“City Centre Gem.”

Holiday Inn Express Chester - Racecourse
Ranked #17 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed 16 July 2011

Booked as a 'chill out' finish to a theme park holiday we selected this hotel primarily for location. It is central in Chester, has parking and is easy walking distance from the town centre. We found it easily and checked in. The Receptionist was efficient, though not warm and welcoming! But we were quickly processed and up in our room. I was concerned due to the proximity of the Railway line, but to be honest barely noticed it during the stay. The room wasn't the most spacious Express room I've stayed in, but was satisfactory for purpose, and was light and clean. First nights sleep was woken early however by workers on the racecourse moving vehicles under our window. Possibly a van or forklift, as one of the annoying reversing beepers kept going off, and there was banging and clattering of metal boxes /bins being moved. However I hadn't realised that above the room window, stretching the entire length is a large vent which was open! Closing this the next night resulted in a great improvement and we didn't hear a thing! Something to check if you stay!

Breakfast is provided, and although basic was one of the best I had in my whole fortnights trip. Sausage, egg and beans were well cooked and tasty. Cereal and grapefruit. Yogurt if you want. Thge only thing that wasn't bang on was the mini danish's which were in a 'hot box' and baked solid by the time we were eating. Hardly a major problem!

The Breakfast area / bar is light and spacious and the morning staff were much cheerier than the previous night's receptionist, but every bit as efficient. The domestic staff had our room immaculate by the time we returned from shopping / sightseeing and we enjoyed a pleasant drink in the bar.

We didn't eat at thr Racecourse resteraunt. The city centre has a vast selection of top notch eateries which we wanted to try, but its menu was good, if pricy.

My only regret is that we didn't stay here for our last night, instead moving to the Holiday Inn A55 Chester West as I (wrongly) thought a city centre hotel wouldld't be as restful before a (long) drive home. I was mistaken, had a dreadful night instead. I should have stayed!

Room Tip: If you have children and they are in the sofa bed, watch you don't stub your toe on the end of i...
1  Thank DisneyParisfan
Scoullar, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chester - Racecourse, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review the Holiday Inn Express Chester Racecourse.

I am delighted to read your positive comments and I am pleased to see you would return.

Firstly I hope you enjoyed your theme park holiday!

I feel it is important to use each review as a learning tool and ensure we make the alterations needed whilst keeping the things our guests love.

I would like to apologise for the noise caused by the Chester Racecourse staff, the time in which work is carried out at the hotel has now changed to ensure the noise issues are limited. I am glad you enjoyed our breakfast offering; unfortunately we wish we could offer a full English breakfast however we are limited to what we can offer due to brand standards, however I am glad you enjoyed it.

I am disappointed to find that the receptionist didn’t welcome you as they should have and the comments will be used to ensure the correct training is carried out.

We also have two larger rooms which we try and allocate to long stays and families, given them more space during their stay. Should you ever stay with us in the future please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will ensure you are allocated one of these rooms.

Once again thank you for taking the time to review the Holiday Inn Express Chester Racecourse.

Reviewed 15 July 2011

We had 2 nights at the hotel, everything was prefect from our arrival on reception till our departure, the staff were very helpful and friendly, very polite, with attention to detail, this Hotel was a gem. On the downside we would have preferred a restaurant or bar snacks in the evening, as like others have stated 1385 restaurant at the racecourse offers guests a 10% discount, but it is still very expensive. The Breakfast Selection was as good as a 4 star hotel, only suggestion as well as Grapefruit Segments, Orange Segments should be offered as Coronary patients like myself, the acidity in Grapefruit is a big No, so choice is limited. The bedrooms were clean and well presented ,and were cool, even though it was warm outdoors, some even have views of the Racecourse. Can`t wait for our return later in the year

Room Tip: avoid near railway line
13  Thank ianexamsBournemouth

Dear Guest

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn Express Chester Racecourse.

I am thrilled to read you are already looking to return later this year.

Your comments will be passed onto the team and I am sure this will boost their morale even higher.

Unfortunately our brand standards limit us on certain things such as offering bar foods and what products we are able to offer at breakfast. I feel it is important that we look at each review and use it as a learning tool to ensure our guest’s expectations are met.

Our onsite restaurant 1539 does offer the 10% discount to our guests and your comments regarding the price will be passed onto the Restaurant Manager who I am sure will take into account your comments.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Chester later this year, if you haven’t already made your reservation please feel free to contact me directly when your are ready to book.

Reviewed 14 July 2011

We booked in advance and paid £54 for a room for 2 adults and 2 children including breakfast. Our room was well designed and ideal for our group. The only thing which was a slight problem was that there was no bath in our room. This was okay on a one night stay but would have been a problem with my three year old if it had been longer.

Brilliant location for a nice stroll into Chester and beautiful surroundings close to the racecourse.

Free parking which is particularly important in Chester as parking is VERY expensive.

Good service at the bar, free wifi in communal areas, reasonably priced drink/ snack machines and an excellent breakfast considering the price. I'm really surprised by some of the comments on here regarding the breakfasts... I honestly don't know what people expect for the money. We thought it was great - hot pastries, fruit, choice of juices, scrambled egg, sausages, cereals, yoghurts etc. - wonderful. There is also an outside seating area which I didn't expect to find, and was a pleasant surprise.

We didn't find the staff particularly knowledgeable about the wider area but sometimes this is the case in even the very best hotels so I can't really complain.

This would be our first choice hotel for any future trips to Chester. We also stayed at the Chester Hilton Doubletree, and this is another excellent option if you are looking for a spa, although it is three times the price!

Room Tip: Ask the hotel if there are any rooms with baths - if you need one
1  Thank Janet78

Dear Guest

I am glad to read that we would be your first choice when returning to Chester. I think it is important to read each review and use it as a learning tool to ensure we make the correct alterations whilst also keeping the things our guest love.

Thank you for the kind comments regarding breakfast and your stay. Unfortunately brand standards prevent us from offering certain things such as a full English breakfast, baths, and room service. Breakfast has recently been improved offering baked beans, cheese portions and bread rolls.

Once again thank you for your positive comments and we look forward to welcoming you to Chester in the future.

Why not take advantage of our Zoo package next time and have a great time at Chester Zoo?

Should you need any accommodation in the future please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed 10 July 2011

I’ve stayed at this hotel several times now, not by choice, and continue to be disappointed by it. It’s surprising how two hotels in the same group can be so different - see my review for the Holiday Inn Express at Ayr.

This hotel can be noisy if you have a room facing the quite busy main road at the front, but even rooms at the back, whilst having a lovely view over the racecourse, have a railway line quite near.

Breakfast is also a little disappointing, especially when the hotel is busy. I know this group only offer a limited option, which is fine IF it is of reasonable quality - again this particular hotel could learn from others in the group.

My main issue however is the lack of a nearby restaurant. The hotel recommends one at the racecourse, and even offers a 10% discount, but it is still VERY expensive, and the menu will not be to everyone’s taste. The alternative is a five to ten minute walk into he lovely town centre of Chester. HOWEVER the walk is up a quite isolated street, on which I have felt a little uncomfortable at times, particularly in the dark, and I’m a “big city person”. Also it is just far enough to get you very wet if it is raining.

If I’m travelling on business, and arrive mid to late evening, all I want to do is drop my bags in my room and have something to eat without the hassle of having to go out again. It seems more important to this hotel that tell you they keep the bar open until 2am.

I’m sorry to have to say that I have asked the company who use this hotel if they can find me an alternative hotel next time I visit Chester.

Room Tip: Try for a room at the back or a "corner room". These are quieter and have the best views.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank JAHNorthEastEngland

Dear Guest

I am saddened to read your are disappointed with the hotel, I feel it is important to read every review and use them as a learning tool to ensure we can make the correct changes as well as keeping the things our customers love.

Regarding the noise you have experienced during your stays. We are aware that the road can cause noise issues especially during the summer if the window is open, and therefore always try and allocate the rooms as best as possible. We do have a limited number of rooms set back from the road over looking the racecourse whilst also being away from the railway. On booking should your request a quiet room we will do our very best to meet the request and allocate you one of these rooms.

As you are aware the Holiday Inn Express brand does limit us on certain things such as bar snacks, however our Restaurant 1539 based next door at Chester Racecourse does provide all guests with a 10% discount off food and drink. I appreciate the comments regarding the price and these shall be passed to the Restaurant Manager who I am sure will take them into account.

The hotel also has many contacts with take away services and a member of the reception team is always happy to assist you with recommending the best places and placing the order. The hotel is also more than happy to supply you with an umbrella should you choose to visit the city centre in bad weather.

I would love you to accept my invitation to return to the hotel, and hope you can give us the chance to redeem your confidence with the Holiday Inn Express Chester Racecourse.

To place your next reservations please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed 30 June 2011

We thoroughly recommend this hotel. It is located within easy walking distance of Chester City Centre and has plenty of safe parking. We were also impressed with the hotel staff who were very helpful and responsive to our requests. It also has free wifi internet access, unlike most other UK hotels. During our stay we were under pressure preparing for a family funeral and the hotel staff provided us with help on a number of occasions which went well beyond their remit. We will return!!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marsland2000
ExpressChester, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chester - Racecourse, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2011

Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review the Holiday Inn Express Chester Racecourse.

Your positive comments are most appreciated and will be passed on to the team. I feel it is important that staff are made aware of all reviews for training purposes and morale. I am sure your kind comments with boost the morale of the team.

I am so pleased you had a pleasant stay under the circumstances and would be happy to welcome you back to Chester in the future.

Should you require any accomodation in the future please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed 28 June 2011

Checked in by friendly attentive staff, who obliged me by making up the sofa bed for the teenager traveling with me. Hotel is modern, spacious & clean with a large FREE ground floor car park surrounding it, overlooking the race course, just outside the medieval walls of Chester. It only took 5 mins to walk right into the city centre.

Bedroom is small but modern and fully equipped. Flatscreen TV with HDMI inputs so we could review our photographs on the big screen and it was spotless clean. Free Wifi in the room was great for updating family on Facebook. Worthy of 4 stars in my opinion.

Great value stay with breakfast buffet included. Sausage and scrambled eggs were the only savory hot options, there was space for 4 items, maybe it would be nice if they added bacon and hash browns? There was also cereals, juices, hot Danish pastries, bread and toast etc...but overall it was excellent, clean, and replenished regularly.

I have also stayed in their Lincoln Express by Holiday Inn last month, and if that standard is kept across the board I will use that brand all the time, it was simply brilliant.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends

Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review of The Holiday Inn Express Chester Racecourse.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and your positive comments will be passed onto the team. We are always glad to see people’s comments as we can learn from them and develop whilst also keeping the things our guests love.

It is much appreciated you feel we are worthy of a four stars and glad you enjoyed the facilities and breakfast. I would like to point out just recently we have improved our breakfast offering to also include bread rolls, cheese portions and baked beans.

Once again thank you for your recent comments and I am sure they will motivate all of the team.

Should you require accommodation in the future at Chester please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed 26 June 2011

The hotel offered great value for money on a recent business trip to the area. The room was clean and well presented. Its location in Chester (part of the beautiful racecourse) was extremely handy for the old town restaurants as well as hitting the road in the morning. I would definitely stay here again - thank you!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing to stay with The Holiday Inn Express Chester Racecourse.

I appreciate your kind comments regarding the hotel and the positioning. We are pleased to recieve any review especially if it is positive, it is great to know what we are offering is what our customers need.

We would be happy to welcome you back on your next stay.

Once again thank you for your positve comments and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Should you require any assistance booking with us please do not hesitate to contact me directly.