“Holiday Inn Express Chester-Racecourse”

Holiday Inn Express Chester - Racecourse
Ranked #17 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed 13 October 2011

The accommodation was friendly, great breakfast, value for money and a great location. Highly recommend. Has views of the Race Cource. Has plenty of parking.

Room Tip: A short walk into Chester town centre.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JohnBHooo
Scoullar, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chester - Racecourse, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review for the Holiday Inn Express Chester Racecourse.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay; your review will assist many future bookers.

Should you need any further information please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed 9 October 2011

Stayed for one night as my husband was running the marathon. Had a family room (double+double sofa bed). Sofa bed was a bit hard but ok and more space than we have had in other hotels. Room was clean and we had no problem with noise.
Location great, easy walk into town.
Bar enough (big tv so older kid could watch xfactor while little one went to bed!).
Breakfast good. Staff really helpful and friendly. Would certainly stay again.

• Stayed: October 2011
Scoullar, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chester - Racecourse, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2011

Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for your recent review regarding your stay with us.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay and hope the race went well.

Thank you for your kind comments I am sure they will help any future guests and will increase the team’s morale even further.

Once again thank you the review and should you require any further information in the future please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed 9 October 2011

A very nice hotel next to Chester racecourse, yet only a few minutes walk from Chesters lovely city centre. The hotel was spotless, the staff very friendly and efficient. A good experience all round...

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review the Holiday Inn Express Chester Racecourse.

I am delighted to find you enjoyed your stay and hope we are able to welcome you to Chester again in the near future.

Your kind comments will be passed onto the team and I am sure they too will be thrilled with them.

Should you need any accommodation in the future please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed 7 October 2011

The location of the hotel was great. Only a few minutes walk to the city centre. Free parking was a bonus too. I do not expect absolute silence considering a city centre location but in the car park is a recycling factory which has a permanent loud humming noise and on my first night was either sawing or grinding until 2.30am. This was really loud and even closing the window and suffering the heat in my really hot room made no difference. There is also a main trainline literally a stones throw from the hotel window with a train at least every 10mins at all hours. The room looked clean but when I used the shower the water did not drain away. When I checked the plughole it was so bungged up with hair Im not supprised it didn't work. There is no way a cleaner could have accidently missed this. They also missed the stain on the sheets.
We were also unable to get in our room 2 days in a row because the key card did not work. This meant on both occasions waiting for the lift and then waiting for the receptionist to put my card into a machine so it would work again. Although the room was small compared to a premier inn, and so was the bed and wardrobe, the tv was a good size. Other good points were a free ice machine in reception and the breakfast was very nice. The staff were also very friendly.

Room Tip: Take a fan as the rooms are very hot and the windows barely open. Also take some ear plugs.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

I am disappointed to read your review and find that there seems to be some errors made in your comments we do not have a recycling factory on site and this could be very misleading to many potential clients and does not paint a true picture of the Holiday Inn Express Chester Racecourse.

The humming noise you may have heard is in fact from a freezer which is located on the far side of car park; the generator for this is also on a timer and is only switched on between 8am and 9pm.

I would like to apologise for the issues you had with you key card unfortunately we had a problem with the software which is ran by an external company and we had an engineer looking into this during your stay.

I am ashamed to hear about the cleanliness of the shower drain as this is a daily job carried out by Housekeeping and I shall be investigating this personally.

I would like to thank you for your kind comments regarding the staff and some of the hotel facilities, I am keen to read all reviews and use them as a learning tool to ensure we make the correct changes whilst keeping the things our guests love and expect.

Reviewed 2 October 2011

Excellent location to explore Chester from, only being 5 minutes from Chester Rows, and slightly quicker to the city walls. Parking is free which is a massive plus as not many hotels in Chester offer this!

The room was very clean (twin) although compact (no wardrobe, open hangers?) had a lovely TV with freeview. The desk would have benefited from a mirror (for make up purposes!) Bathroom was clean and a reasonable size, shower was powerful.

A little frugal on condiments - only 2 teabags, 2 milks and 2 sugars in the room - gave loads more when I went down and asked, but was annoying in a twin room not to have more than 2 milks and 2 sugars!

Breakfast was fine - selection of hot food (beans) and cold food such as fruit. Orange juice wasn't real juice but was a fine selection considering its included in the room cost for all guests.

Another massive bonus was the free wifi in the hotel.

Our room was overlooking the race course, which would be excellent if you were staying for the races (217)

All in all, I enjoyed my trip to Chester - and would stay at the here again!

Room Tip: room 217 over looks racing tracks!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family

Dear Guest

I am delighted to read you enjoyed your stay and would be happy to stay with us again in the future.

I believe that all reviews are a learning tool and assist each hotel to make the relevant changes whilst keeping the things our guests love.

I am sorry you had to come down to reception and request more condiments as the housekeeping should ensure there is a suitable amount for our guests prior to arrival. I have passed your notes onto the Head Housekeeper and hope this problem is resolved.

I am glad you enjoyed you stay with us and your kind comments will be passed on to the team as I am sure they too will be thrilled with your positive feedback.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Chester in the future.

Should you require any accommodation in the future please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed 27 September 2011

We were part of a four couple party which stayed at this hotel for three nights recently. As a group we go somewhere every year, as one of the males is a railway enthusiast, we have to have a rail travel component. So we call ourselves "The Railway Children". Ho ho ho!
We were looking for a reasonably inexpensive hotel within easy walking distance of all the city attractions in Chester, and this hotel proved to be very good indeed. It is very new, all glass, chrome, and light wood. The bedrooms are very well equipped, for a hotel at this end of the price range, although there is one big downside and that is that the beds are standard double size. Also, the bed in our room suffered from a common fault, obviously these bedrooms mostly have single occupants, and the mattresses reflect that, one tends to roll together! But it's a fairly small price to pay, everything else is fine, the breakfasts are very good, the service willing and pleasant. The hotel's position is great, about 200 metres from the City Walls, and through them and you're in the city centre!All in all, I would recommend this hotel strongly.

Room Tip: They're all the same!
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends

Dear Guest

I hope you had a great time visiting Chester and I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

The hotel has actually been open for over several years but we have an on going refurbishment plan which keeps the hotel looking well.

We are very privileged with our location being only a 5 minute walk from the city centre and based within the Chester Racecourse.

Your kind comments will be passed on to the team and I am sure this will motivate the team even further and ensure the service you received will continue.

Should you require any accommodation please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed 25 September 2011

Chester is an historic city with a core that doesn't allow much scope for new development. This hotel is about five minutes walk from the edge of the old centre, on the edge of the racecourse. It is relatively new, which may account for the strange architectural fantasies on the frontage and the coloured glass in some of the windows - if you think the sun is shining, check whether it is just the amber glazing before you go outside! The rooms are compact - this would not be a hotel to stay more than a couple of nights because there is so little storage - and I would not be a great fan of its working facilities. My back would not tolerate the desk chair for long and I was not amused by the internet costs - it really is time UK hotels stopped ripping off customers for these and the international chains should be leading the way. The room was clean and I had a great night's sleep despite the proximity of the railway line. Breakfast was particularly good by HIE standards - better than many I have had at the same chain in the US.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review regarding the Holiday Inn Express Chester Racecourse.

Firstly may I thank you for your kind comments regarding the hotel and its location.

I am a little confused regarding your comments regarding the internet costs as we offer all guests FREE Wi-Fi during their stay and have been for a number of years.

I am glad you also enjoyed our breakfast and would love to be welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Should you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact me directly.