“Good value hotel with good location”

Holiday Inn Express Chester - Racecourse
Ranked #17 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Good value hotel with good location”
Reviewed 8 February 2012

I tend to use the holiday inn express chain quite a lot for work as I always find they are pretty good value and certainly of a higher standard than the usual premier inns and travel lodges...
This hotel was no exception. Good price, great location, clean and well sized rooms. Free parking too which is always a bonus. Also it is literally on the race course and about a 2 minute stroll into the city centre so location wise it could not be better. I will use again when next in Chester

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 January 2012

The staff from check in to check out where lovely and really friendly. There was lots of parking available and we didnt need to leave the car keys which was brilliant as we took out 2 year old with us and kept lots of things in the car e.g. toys, push chair etc. The room was nice and big and very clean my partner loved the 32 in tv, we was near the railway line but the trains where really quiet and our son loved watching them go by. The breakfast was nice although not a big selection but we where full. I would definatly stay here again and the location is fantastic

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank claire H
Wickham Bishops, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 January 2012

I booked this Hotel for a group who were singing at Chester Cathedral. We were given a fair price which included free parking and the Holiday Inn Express breakfast which now includes a hot albeit limited buffet. Nevertheless it was perfectly adequate. The staff were all polite and helpful.

The winning factor was the location an easy 10 minute uphill stroll to the City Centre.

One couple had a problem with noise from machinery on the roof and were immediately given a reduction in their price. Not ideal but at least the gesture was made. If visiting Chester on a budget again I would not hesitate to book this Hotel.

Room Tip: try to avoid rooms on the second floor which are all connecting rooms and noise travels easily throu...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Bouff
Royston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Mu mum and i stayed here last year as it had ample parking and offered a breakfast and a great location for shopping. Its an OK hotel - nothing fancy, just your basic room, clean and tidy. A bit noisey so didn't sleep well. The breakfast was little ropey but you can just walk into chester and get something there. Its good value for money for what you get in a tourist city.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
Scoullar, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chester - Racecourse, responded to this review, 8 January 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your time at the Holiday Inn Express Chester Racecourse.

I am disappointed to read your description as an ok hotel. We are a Holiday Inn Express which is known as a budget hotel however at the Holiday Inn Express Chester we feel it is important to offer the best service possible along with the best quality products.

Our breakfast is all branded products, along with fresh free range eggs, fresh pastries, and sausages sourced from our local butcher. We also offer more than our brand standards stipulate.

I am sorry to hear you had noise issues during your stay, did you at any point contact our 24 hour reception team as i am sure this problem could have been rectified straight away.

I hope the noise issues have not affected your opinion of the Holiday Inn Express Chester Racecourse.

Should you require any further accommodation in the future please contact me directly, I would be more than happy to allocate you a quiet room on a private corridor over looking the racecourse.

Once again thank you for taking the time to review your stay and I look forward to welcoming you to the Holiday Inn Express Chester Racecourse.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 December 2011

stayed here 28 dec great rooms bargain double and sofa bed £49 inc buffet breakfast loads to eat rooms are clean and modern shower great staff helpful and friendly would stay again and recommend great choice

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 123jag123
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review the Holiday Inn Express Chester Racecourse.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and you kind comments will be passed onto the team who I am sure will be thrilled.

I am glad you will recommend the hotel and I hope I am able to welcome you to Chester again soon.

Isle of Man
Reviewed 29 December 2011

Good Holiday Inn Express which, according to the notice in reception, is operated by the racecourse as a franchise. Located on the edge of the centre of Chester and it is certainly possible to walk into town.
Rooms are clean and functional. Bathrooms contain only a shower with no baths as per other HI Expresses.
The HI Express continental breakfast has expanded is recent years and now includes several hot items.
Parking is free in the Racecourse car park. When arriving, they should have your details and will wave you in.
There was a party going on in the room next door to us during one evening and my wife had to contact reception serveral times. The receptionist did attend and ask for the volume to be turned down and at 11pm they left for a night on the town. We had our revenge in the morning!
You can get a 10-20% discount at the 1539 restaurant over in the racecourse. we took the offer up and were not disappointed with the food. It is only a five minute walk to the restaurant, but on a dark and stormy night it can be a bit of a slog! There is a lift up to the restaurant when you arrive, but it was dark and empty when navigating the racecourse grounds with several gates shut. We will know for next time!
Other dining options include the Watergate Inn, which we did not try and the Fat Cat chain pub/restaurant which has good offers on. Both of these were on the street when heading into town.
Overall great choice for Chester with maybe the only central hotel with free parking?

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Dear Guest

I am thrilled to read any review especially when it is positive. Your comments will be passed onto the team who I am sure will be thrilled.

I am keen to use all reviews as a tool to enhance what the Holiday Inn Express Chester Racecourse has to offer, making the relevant changes whilst keeping the things our guests love.

Unfortunately the Express brand mainly only supply showers as this differentiates us with the Holiday Inn brand.

I am glad you enjoyed our breakfast and as hoteliers we are keen to enhance this further and are continuously pushing this forward with our head office, hopefully one day we will be able to offer more hot options.

I am sorry to hear that you experienced problems with noise next door and can assure you that we do not accept this sort of behaviour and this should have been dealt with straight away and not on the seventh visit to the room. I have provided the relevant training to the night’s team to ensure that this problem is rectified sooner in the future.

I have also passed on your comments regarding 1539 and the problems you had navigating your way to the restaurant as I am sure they will find this useful.

Once again thank you for your kind comments they really are appreciated.

Should you need accommodation in the future please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Lancashire
Reviewed 28 December 2011

Stay here with confidence, bargain prices and great simple, clean rooms with flat screen TV and power showers. The staff are very friendly and helpful and the hot and cold drinks in the lobby are complimentary, though obviuosly included in the price. The breakfast is great ignore the moans and groans from other reviews you get fresh Orange, Apple juices, chilled water, milk, choice of four cereals, huge mixed fruit bowls, yogurts, several styles of Coffee and Tea and as much scrambled eggs and sausage as you can eat with beans, cheese, Toast, white and brown, marmalade, jam etc if you want it. The only complaint, if it is one, is the place is so warm, nearly all the patrons were sweating profusely, they really like to keep you snug here for sure!!!!! They did turn the heat down, with a smile when asked! Book here without worry, its right on the racecourse and only a five minute walk to the start of the town centre shops.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank fats_and_als
Dear Guest

I am thrilled to read you kind comments, and I am glad you enjoyed your stay.

You comments will be passed onto the team who I am sure will also be delighted.

I use each review to ensure we keep the things our guests love whilst making the relevant changes.

Our breakfast has developed over the years and at the Holiday Inn Express Chester Racecourse we feel it is important to use fresh local products and are keen to develop it further. We are however limited to what we are able to offer due to brand standards. Hopefully one day we will be able to offer more hot options.

Your review will help many bookers and I would like to thank you for your kind comments.

I hope I am able to welcome you to Chester again soon.

Should you need any accommodation in the future please do not hesitate to contact me directly.