“Very agreeable”

Ranked #17 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Very agreeable”
Reviewed 14 March 2012

Hotel is located just a 5 monute walk from the City centre and is a part of the racecourse itself. The reception area is bright and airy and we were checked in by a very friendly and helpful young lady.
The rooms were as expected, very clean, very serviceable and a very good bathroom. The bed was comfortable and a good night's sleep ensued.
The breakfast was also acceptable and the fact that you help yourself to a buffet and the fact that there are many reminders to make sure that you "use the trays provided" and "ensure you place your tray in the rack provided" was not a problem.
We paid £45 each for bed and breakfast, parking was free and this is always a bonus in a city centre location. The person on reception at check out could do with a bit of smiling lesson, surly is not good in a customer service job. Who is doing who a favour here?
Hoever, a very nice stay all round and this hotel will be used again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Scoullar, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chester - Racecourse, responded to this review, 18 March 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review regarding your stay with us at the Holiday Inn Express Chester Racecourse.

I am delighted to read you enjoyed your stay and that you will definitely use us again.

I am sure many people will find your review useful, and I am keen to ensure that we maintain the good standards we offer whilst learning from each review.

I am disappointed to read your check out wasn’t as friendly as your welcome and I have spoken to the staff as this is not acceptable.

I look forward to welcoming you to Chester in the near future.

Kind regards

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (358)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Royston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 March 2012

Booked online fo 2 nights 10th and 11th March. Free Car Park and quick check-in - Room on 2nd floor was better quality than Premier Inn and Travelodge. The location of the hotel is perfectly placed for a short walk into town, a walk around the city walls or even a visit to the racecourse as the hotel is overlooking the course. The 1539 restaurant which is on the racecourse is recommended by the staff of the hotel and if you present your room card you will get 20% discount - the food and service was excellent and we were made to feel very special. Breakfast was included in the price of the hotel which worked out to £130 for 2 persons 2 nights. If we were to return to Chester we would return to both hotel and restaurant.

Dear Guest

Thank you for reviewing The Holiday Inn Express Chester Racecourse.

I am delighted to read you enjoyed your stay and that you will use us again when next in Chester.

I am thrilled that you feel that what we offer is good value and I keen to ensure that the standards remain high and our guest expectations are met. Each review assists us to make the relevant changes whilst keeping the things our guests love.

I have passed your comments onto the Restaurant Manager at 1539 who I am sure will be delighted to read your kind comments.

I look forward to welcoming you to Chester in the future.

Langford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 March 2012

We recently attended a wine tasting evening at the Chester racecourse, arranged by Laithwaites. As the Holiday Inn, was situated perfectly for this venue, we booked to stay there the one evening. First impressions were very good and we were checked in smoothly. We were given a first floor room, but I preferred a higher room overlooking the racecourse and our request was granted. The price of the room was very reasonable, by booking in advance on-line. I was quite suprised, but it was actualy cheaper to book through the Holiday Inn website itself, rather than other competitive hotel sites. It was spacious with an additional sofa bed, as I had requested. The double bed was comfy and the pillows, although perfect for myself, were a little soft for my husband. The room appeared clean, though although there were no manger issues, could possibly have benefitted with a really good bottoming at some point, including the paintwork. Nevertheless, it was quite adequate for our one night stay, which was a hugh success. There did appear to be quite a lot of noise in the night, which after investigation, seemed to be from the generator outside, but this was quietened by closing the window. After the wine tasting, we had booked a table at the 1539 restaurant on the racecourse. The meal and decor was lovely and if you are staying at the Holiday Inn hotel, they actually discount your meal by 20%, which made it even better value. Breakfast was quite adequate and a final look around Chester, which is an easy 5 - 10 minutes walk to the centre, topped off our break away nicely. I would definately recommend this hotel for it's location and attentive staff and hope to visit again.

Room Tip: Try for a room overlooking the racecourse, but not by the generator
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review The Holiday Inn Express Chester Racecourse.

Thank you for your kind comments, I will also passed your comments to the Restaurant Manager at Restaurant 1539 who I am sure will be thrilled with the review.

I am keen to use each review as a tool to enhance what we have to offer and keep the things our guests love. I appreciated the comments regarding the paint work and a full inspection has been carried out and the areas that needed painting have now been painted.

I am delighted to read you will return to the hotel, and i look forward to being able to welcome you back to Chester in the future.

Birmingham
Reviewed 10 March 2012

Rooms very comfortable with fairly new fixtures and fittings etc! Free parking added bonus and a short walk into the city centre, perfect base for a city break. Breakfast not bad either but limited cooked breakfast. Breakfast was self service. Great value for money! Would stay again! Recommended!

• Stayed March 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for reviewing the Holiday Inn Express Chester Racecourse.

I am sure many people will find this review very useful.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay and you would stay again.

Unfortunately brand standards only allow us to offer scrambled egg, sausages and baked beans as hot breakfast. This is what keeps us separate to our sister brand The Holiday Inn. As hoteliers we pass all comments regarding breakfast to our head office as we would like to see this develop even further.

Once again thank you for your review.

Bradford
Reviewed 9 March 2012

We chose the Holiday Inn Express in Chester for two reasons: - Price and Location.

If you have stayed in a Holiday Inn Express before you know what you are going to get. The rooms were of a good size with free WIFI, flat screen TV and tea and coffee facilities. The bathroom was shower only which was a disappointment for my wife who prefers to take a bath. The shower was hot and powerful. The rooms were clean but when we looked under the bed it looked like it hadn’t been vacuumed for sometime.

The location is excellent, only 5 minutes walk from the centre. Some rooms have views of the racecourse but ours was at the opposite side overlooking the public school’s lacrosse field. There is a free car park which is a bonus.

Breakfast consisted of cereals, juices, tea, coffee, toast, pastries, scrambled egg, sausage, beans, fresh fruit salad and yoghurts. This was all self service and you could go back as many times as you want and ran from 7.30 until 10:30. We did have to wait for items to be replenished on both days we stayed there. The scrambled egg was a bit bland but overall not bad..

We stayed for two nights but if you were staying any longer there was not a great deal of space to hang clothes. Just one open rail which just enough space to hold my wife’s and my clothes for the two nights.

We would stay again

Dear Guest

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn Express Chester Racecourse.

I am delighted to read you kind comments and glad your enjoyed your stay.

I am disappointed to read about the cleanliness under the bed, housekeeping have a routine every day and this should be included in that routine. I have spoken to housekeeping and asked them to inspect each bedroom and to ensure that the standards are raised.

I thank you for bringing this to my attention and I am thrilled to receive any review as we can use it as a tool to enhance our product and ensure that the guest’s expectations are met.

Once again thank you for taking the time to review the Holiday Inn Express Chester racecourse.

I look forward to welcoming you to Chester in the future.

London
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Cannot understand any negative reviews of this hotel, we had a fantastic stay! We arrived with myself, my wife and young children for a long weekend in Chester. Upon arrival, the staff couldn't have been more helpful, they were really polite and friendly, something which seems to be in short supply in certain establishments these days!

When we arrived, we were welcomed by the receptionist, hotel was really clean and pleasant. When we asked for any recommendations of what to see, where to go etc, we were given so many options we would have had to stay for a week or more!

The room was great, nice and cosy, everything working, no mess or dirt everywhere, above the standards you would usually expect in a budget hotel! Breakfast was really good, great selection of cereal and pastries, and handy to have hot options too, a pleasant surprise which was not expected!

At the Racecourse, we were told about the onsite restaurant 1539, which we ate at on our first night, the food was great, really appetising with loads of choice, could not fault it!

If you want a fantastic stay in Chester, then this place has got to be near the top of your list!! Fantastic location only a 5 min walk from the City Centre, and central to loads of places of interest, the Zoo is definitely worth a trip!

Thanks to all the staff at the Holiday Inn Express, they really made our weekend special by catering for our every need, nothing was too much hassle and always done with a smile on their faces! If only all Holiday Inn Expresses were this good!

The only shame is we can't put Six Stars instead of Five! Can't wait to visit here again though!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Mike L
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review.

I am thrilled to read your review and would like to thank you for your kind comments.

it is great to know you feel what we are offering is good value and recommendable.

I have passed your comments on to the team, who I am sure will be delighted and will boost the morale even higher.

I have also passed your comments onto the Restaurant Manager at Restaurant 1539 who will be thrilled with your comments.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Chester in the future.

Kind regards

Shrewsbury
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Absolutely appalled at this hotel. We arrived early and left our bags & suitcases in a ‘safe and secure room’ (which turned out to be a laundry room) while we went out shopping as we couldn’t check in until 2pm. We were told our bags would be fine here so we didn’t worry as the hotel had a good reputation. We returned later in the afternoon to check in and collect our bags and to our horror, all of our bags were open, our clothes and other items were pulled out and on the floor, and an unknown white powder was covered over all our bags, inside and out. Luckily nothing had been taken. But why somebody thought they had the right to rummage through our bags and leave them unkempt is beyond me. This is very unprofessional for such a popular hotel. We were shocked and disgusted at this violation and wanted an explanation straight away, but the receptionists had no clue what had happened. They told us they would check the CCTV but the next day they still hadn’t. It seemed not as much help as we’d hoped went into finding out how this happened and why. They gave us no charge for our rooms but this still didn’t help the thought that someone had been touching our belongings and looking for something – my friend was so distraught she couldn’t stop shaking. My advice – NEVER leave your bags with this hotel in an unsupervised place. Better yet – DON’T STAY AT THIS HOTEL!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
7 Thank DingSarah
IHGCare, Guest Relations Case Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chester - Racecourse, responded to this review, 16 March 2012
Dear DingSarah,

I am deeply sorry the experience you had at the hotel. You were not charged for your rooms, and be assured that security of our guests is of utmost concern to us.

Katie J