“Glad it was only for one night!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Chester - Racecourse

Holiday Inn Express Chester - Racecourse
Ranked #17 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Chester, United Kingdom
“Glad it was only for one night!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2013

Firstly I must admit that I booked this hotel for its proximity to Chester city centre, the free parking and because i got it at a reduced rate of £45. Upon arriving at about 5pm, I was sent to a room, which hadn't been cleaned from the previous guests. There was no real apology from the reception staff, they simply said "are you sure!" And then allocated a new room. The room was clean and fit for purpose, there was some mould around the shower, but nothing too bad. Or so I thought!!! Upon getting in to bed the mattress was so worn that you literally rolled into the middle of the bed, the corners and edges actually rolled upwards as soon as I lay down. It was the most uncomfortable nights sleep I have ever had, and I usually sleep like a log. This wasn't helped by the train track that runs right by the hotel and the early deliveries and skip emptying, that all happened before 7 am. If I had of been staying another night I would have complained, however there were other people doing this when I checked out! Ok for 1 night and if you want to be walking distance from Chester.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Lyndsey S
Scoullar, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chester - Racecourse, responded to this review, 19 February 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time out to review your recent stay with us, first let me apologise for the service you received upon check in, I have taken a note of this and will be speaking to the persons involved. This is not our usual approach to helping our guests.

The hotel management have also inspected the issues raised regarding the bed and this bed has now actually been replaced. I am disappointed that this issue was raised by yourself and not our Housekeeping department and would like to thank you for bringing this to our attention.

All deliveries have been told on a number of occasions not to deliver until after 8am however this cannot always be guaranteed by the suppliers. We apologies for the inconvenience this has caused.

once again I do apologize for the poor service you recieved and hope you return to the Holiday Inn Express Chester Racecourse to receive the true experience we have to offer.

Operations manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
  • Greek first
Lincoln, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2013

Stayed for just one night. Never stayed at a holiday in but thought id give it a go. Cost £85 for a double room including breakfast and free parking.

The location of the hotel is good. Just 2 minutes walk from the city centre.

The room was small but clean. Had usual things like tea and coffee (no biscuits), tv. No wardrobe though, just a small rail with no hangers. Bed was extremely uncomfortable and extremely soft sprung. Bathroom was ok but shower gel provided ran out after one shower. It was one of those refillable Dove ones that obviously hadn't been topped up.

Breakfast was interesting. Tables were dirty. Some plates were dirty. It was self service and very canteen like with plastic blue trays. There was a choice of cereals, pastries and hot food. Although billed as a 'full breakfast' there was only beans, sausage and scambled egg. All of low quality. Hot drinks and fruit juices were available - however fruit juice seemed quite watery.

Overall, it served a purpose of a reasonably cheap place for us to stay. However I think next time I'd pay the extra £20 and stay in the centre of town at one of the nicer hotels I have stayed at previously.

Dear guest

Thank you for taking your time out to review your recent stay with us. Please accept my apologies for the lack of shower gel in your room and poor mattress, I have made a note of this and will be speaking to housekeeping about the problems. Thank you for raising the issue to us, we value your opinions as this helps us better our services.

I am disappointed to hear breakfast was not up to standard either and will make sure that this is sorted with immediate effect. We do state on all booking sources that rates are inclusive of bed, breakfast with hot offering, car parking and wi-fi. Due to brand standards we are limited to what we can offer however all comments are sent to head office as we are keen to improve our breakfast offering to meet guests needs. Currently we offer additional things on our breakfast which are not considered brand standard and we ensure all of our products are of high quality and locally scourced.

Once again please accept my apologies and I hope this will not put you off visiting the Holiday Inn Express, Chester Racecourse again

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2013

Location of the hotel is fab but thats about as far as it goes. The room was a reasonable standard nothing special. The reason for the poor review comes down to the awful breakfast, there were a lack of tables available for the amount of people staying in the hotel. The breakfast selection was absolutely terrible, we were looking to nice full english (pretty standard in most hotels) there were beans and eggs available only!!! there wasnt even any bacon!! The cups for the coffee were dirty and there was no milk.
Free wifi?? Nope!! When I came to check out I smiled at the guy and he didn't even make to effort to smile back!
I've stayed in other holiday inns across the country and this isnt the normal standard you normally get. Very disappointing.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking time out to review your recent stay here at the Holiday Inn Express, Chester Racecourse

As we are an Express hotel our brand standards limit us to what we can have on our breakfast. It does state on all our booking sources that our breakfast is continental with 3 hot offerings of sausage, scrambled eggs and beans. We have also added extra continental options to ensure there is plenty of choice for our guests to eat. I apologies about the dirty cups being put out, I have made a note of this and will be taking action with immediate effect.

We are currently under going a major refurbishment that is giving us limited seating, this is due to be completed by the end of March 2013

All our bookings come with free breakfast, car parking and free Wi:Fi. We do have some problems getting signal in a small area of our hotel that is due to be looked into in the coming month. You can also get the free Wi:Fi in our reception area.

We rely on our guests to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your comments. These are of great importance and allow us to monitor our service.

Thank you again for taking time out to review your stay and i hope this does not put you off visiting us in the near future

Gaerwen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2013

I stayed here in a weekend in February for 1 night. I was staying in a family room on the second floor. It had an amazing view over Chester Racecourse. The bed and the sofa-bed were very comfortable and I had an excellent sleep. The room was cheep and Great Value for money. The breakfast was excellent and there was also an excellent choice. The staff were very polite and helpful. It was only a 5 minute walk to the city center. I would stay here again and I would recommend to anyone!

Room Tip: Ask for a room looking over the racecourse.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Scoullar, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chester - Racecourse, responded to this review, 18 April 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time out to review your recent stay with us.

I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed your time with us and thank you for you kind comments regarding the staff and rooms, I will pass this on to the team.

I'm pleased to see you enjoyed your breakfast with us, we think it is very important to start the day with a good meal and all our breakfast items are sourced from local farms so come in nice and fresh.

Once again thank you for your review and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Isle of Man
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2013

We were on the1st floor. The room was extremely clean and comfortable. Breakfast was plentiful although there did not seem to be enough tables for 2 if others take up a table for 4 you felt you couldn't really share it.
The hairdryer broke which I reported on our way out for a meal. There was a replacement there when we returned.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Scoullar, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chester - Racecourse, responded to this review, 22 April 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your time with us at the Holiday Inn Express Chester Racecourse.

I am delighred you enjoyed your stay with us and have rated us 5 star, it is much appreciated.

We have recently undergone a £100,000 refurbishment of the bar lounge, reception and breakfast area which has added more seating and looks great. We are now able to cope with the demand for breakfast and I would love to welcome you back soon to see the new area.

Kind Regards
Operations Manager
Telford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2013

Staff here were great, went beyond the call of duty with a problem i had. We had a family room on the 3rd floor and was big enough for 2 adults and a baby. Car park is very good and is about 5 min walk to the centre, brillant for a night out or weekend shopping!!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Scoullar, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chester - Racecourse, responded to this review, 16 February 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time out to review your recent stay with us.

I am delighted to hear our staff here at the hotel went above and beyond to help you out with your problem, We think it is very important to help guest out no matter how big or small the situation maybe. I will pass on your kind comments.

We look forward to seeing you again hopefully in the near future

Bangor, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2013

We paid £40.00 for a family room which included breakfast and free hot drinks. Room was a little small and basic but clean which is more than what we expected for the money. Parking free in central Chester which is really good. Only niggle was that you could hear the wind howling in the night. I think that if you had noisy neighours in the next room you would hear it so maybee not for fri or sat night if you are on a family break. Would certainly go again worth every penny. Staff were friendly and the little one loved playing in the lobby and would recommend the fat cat up the road for food.

Room Tip: ask for a room at the back as you can see the racesourse.
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking your time out to review your recent stay here at the Holiday Inn Express, Chester race course.

I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for kind comments regarding rooms and the staff. I'm sorry to hear you had problems with the window, I'll have a look in to this, there may have been a problem with an open vent.

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future and once again thank you for your review

operations manager