“Short break” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #17 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Beckermet, United Kingdom
“Short break”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

We booked this hotel as we were having a short break to see the Christmas light switch on and visit the Winter Wonderland. The hotel was easy to find and within 5 minutes walk to the town centre. However, after being greeted by a very friendly receptionist, and enjoying a delightful meal in the nearby White Horse pub, we were disgusted to find the duvet cover had a 2ft tear, which we didn't see until we went to bed. As it was late, we decided to turn the duvet over and made a complaint the following morning. The duvet cover was changed by the time we came back from our day out. When we came to checkout, our bill contained an additional bar bill which we didn't have. The receptionist this time (not the same one that greeted us on our arrival) was reluctant to remove the additional costs of the bar bill, even after we said she was the one that had served us the previous night (she also remembered serving us!!!!). We only had one drink!!!!!!! We won't be staying there again!!!!!!!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Scoullar, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chester - Racecourse, responded to this review, 7 December 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review the Holiday Inn Express Chester Racecourse.
I am disappointed to read your stay was ruined due to the housekeeping issues and the error on check in.
I would like to assure you that when you informed me of the tear in the duvet, I instructed the Head Housekeeper to investigate this further. When I was handed the duvet I immediately requested a meeting with our Linen suppliers as this is not acceptable. The relevant action was also taken against the housekeeping department as this linen should never have been used.
Unfortunately the mix up with the bill was human error and the following training has been carried out with the team to ensure this does not happen again.
I am extremely disappointed you will not be returning to the hotel, as I would love to invite you back to provide you with the true experience we have to offer.
Kind Regards
Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
  • Greek first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed here following a funeral the location is amazing although the bed was too soft every time either of us turned over it woke us up all okay until we checked out. Despite bring told on the Thursday night that all rooms had been paid for when we went to check out although we had booked and paid online for three rooms it turned out that they had only taken payment for one despite us having receipts for the rooms the man "Stephen the only Stephen here " was rude unhelpful and decidedly unpleasant although he was proved right this man was unbelievably rude I will never stay at this hotel again and would not recommend it to any body else it is a shame as this chain is usually good shame on you Stephen.

• Stayed November 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest
Firstly may I apologise if you felt I was rude in any way during your check out process.
Unfortunately an error was made during the online booking process, which is ran separately to the hotel. As you are aware one room had failed to be paid for prior to arrival unlike the remainder of the rooms booked.
I am sure you understand we have procedures in place and we must follow them to ensure bills are settled correctly, after showing all receipts to the bill payer and contacting both banks he too agreed one room was yet to be settled.
I repeatedly apologised for any inconvenience caused and assisted fully trying to resolve the situation as quickly as possible. On departure the bill payer and another guest from the party shook my hand and apologised.
I am sorry that this has ruined your stay and you feel as though I was rude however I hope you understand I had to follow procedure thoroughly.

Rhoose, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

Stayed here for a 2 night visit to Chester.. Hotel was easy to find & locate free car parking next to Chester Race-course,Check-in was excellent & we were given the room type & location I requested when booking our 2 rooms. Rooms were good & clean & everything you would want from an Express Hotel... Free breakfast was included & everything was provided as described on Holiday Inn website & we all enjoyed it in a relaxed & friendly atmosphere.. Check out was spot on.. Their were 4 in our group & we were all pleased with the hotel location to town center (5 minute walk) all the staff were friendly & helpful,also the drivers of the golf buggies that provided free evening transport to the "White Horse" restaurant situated on the Race-course & a 2 minute ride away..& well worth a visit as we went both evenings..We cannot fault this hotel & will return again,well done to all staff ..!! :-)

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Scoullar, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chester - Racecourse, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time out to review your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express, Chester racecourse

I'm delighted to see you all enjoyed your time with us and thank you for your kind comments regarding staff. I will pass this on to our team I'm sure they will be delighted with this.

I'm pleased to see you visited our onsite restaurant The White Horse and enjoyed your time there.

Once again thank you for your review and we hope to see you again in the near future

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

We arrived on Sunday afternoon, with a 'some t.v.s are not working' & so the room we are allocated has it been checked, she didn't know or perhaps care.
Fortunately for us it did, however the in room phone didn't, neither did the hair dryer.
When we reported both problems using our own phone, - dialling in from outside!
We got a very abrupt housekeeper, who went on to accuse us of not using another hairdryer which she went on to search for, whilst we are trying to get dressed / ready ,a.n. o. dryer that she was adamant was in the room!!
This we pointed out should have been checked before we took the room, and asked for our privacy to be respected, in other words 'leave the room'.!
Breakfast, was poor, little & cold food, by this same house keeper who we felt was using retribution for the hair dryer incident.
If the breakfast is complimentary then it should be hot, plentiful and clean, or not at all!
The room was dimly lit, the hot plates - cold and the floor messy with spills not being mopped.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chester - Racecourse, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Dear Suzi197,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I can assure you that your comfort and satisfaction are of utmost importance to us and for that please accept my sincere apologies if your stay was negatively affected by the service you received from our hotel. I appreciate you bringing this matter into our attention as this is our best resource for improving guest satisfaction. This feedback will be shared with the appropriate people that can help us make a difference to ensure our valued guests' needs and expectations are met in the future.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
North Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

Rooms clean, well-appointed, with odd numbers having view of racecourse. Short walk to Chester centre, Sleep quality could be affected by the proximity of the railway - not a problem if you don't mind sleeping with the windows closed. Chester is a fantastic city with unique streets-in-the-sky called The Rows. You can also walk the city walls. I would put it above York and on a par with Edinburgh as a "must-see". The down side: There are some very dispiriting monstrous carbuncles of buildings just outside the centre and one egregious example in the middle of The Rows in Watergate St. Shame on you, city councillors, planners and architects!

Room Tip: Odd numbers, upper floors for views of the racecourse.
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review of the Holiday Inn Express, Chester racecourse.

I'm pleased to see you enjoyed your time with us and thank you for all your kind comments

We hope to see you again in the near future

Whitchurch
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

This hotel has few surprises because it is what it is, a place for Widget salesman to spend a few nights with a Boss they don't like. That sadly does seem to be its major role but it is not the complete picture. It has some very important plus points being genuinely a short walk to the centre of Chester with all of it's shops. It has a large and good car park so stay here and you do not need to drive to see the local attractions. Also, it is warm, clean, bright and runs well enough plus at £49 for a night with breakfast, it was very good value indeed. I rather like its bland efficiency because I went there to see Chester rather than a wonderful hotel experience and if you seek that, you never stay in the middle of most cities!

Good points...location, price (although the normal rate starts at £89.50 and that I would NOT pay), car park, simplistic but efficient service and a good breakfast with as much as you want to eat and actually very nicely prepared..well except for the awful Kingsmill branded bread which was like eating brown felt. Our room was near both the road and the railway line but far from being noisy, it was very quiet with only the traffic gently swishing past if you bothered to notice.

Downsides... It is tired...it is a "58" registered Ford Mondeo Zetec diesel of a hotel..it all works, it is still comfortable, it does all you need but it is getting a bit faded after 150,000 good miles. It needs a freshen up..new ideas and a repaint...or just make it look like their other hotel at Preston South where all is now superb. It will happen but maybe this winter/spring please???

So...if you plan an overnight just to see Chester for a day or two, this hotel is all you need..it is very good and at a discounted price, probably the only one to go for..maybe.

Room Tip: Overlooking the car park/racecourse might be an idea but we never were bothered by noises even in th...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chester - Racecourse, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
Dear HoratioQBirdbath,

Thank you for your review and for enumerating the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. I am pleased to know that our location suited your needs and breakfast up to par with your expectations. Whilst I am pleased with the good comments, I truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. I am sorry for the shortcomings you have experienced during your stay with us. As we continually strive for excellence in customer service, we maintain the ideal of keeping guest satisfaction as our top priority. This feedback will be shared with the appropriate people that can help us make a difference to ensure our valued guests' needs and expectations are met in the future.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Morpeth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

I was checked in by a very friendly helpful lady. My room was small but perfectly formed. It was clean, well equipped, bright and inviting. It had everything I needed for a 2 night stay for my daughters graduation. When we realised we were short of some paper work my daughter needed for her graduation the lady behind the reception desk couldn't be more helpful, she printed our required documents with no charge. Breakfast, Wifi and car parking were included in a nights stay making this hotel excellent value. I would definitely stay here again and I would recommend it. It's in a perfect location for a car free break, with only a 5 minute walk into the city centre.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Scoullar, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chester - Racecourse, responded to this review, 8 December 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review the Holiday Inn Express Chester Racecourse and your time with us.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and thank you for the four star rating, it is much appreciated.

Your kind comments have been passed onto the staff, in particularly the member of staff on duty who assisted you.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Kind Regards