Holiday Inn Express Chester - Racecourse
Ranked #17 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed 31 January 2014

We stayed for four nights from Monday 20th Jan.
We where by given a room on the small quiet corridor, so had no issues with noise. You could hear the trains, but it is very near the line, so wasn't surprised.
The staff where all loverly, polite and so helpful.
Breakfast was fresh and good.
Free hot drinks all day for residents is as great idea, the hot chocolate was a treat after walking the walls.
Our room was warm, clean and comfy. Thee bathroom was clean with a nicer big shower.
We only had one issue. On our last night, as I got into bed, a big corkscrew type wire spring scratched by leg. It had come through a hole in the mattress. I wasn't hurt, just a red mark. I reported this to reception there next morning, she could not have been more concerned, asking if I wanted to put it in the accident book, I declined. I just wanted to makes sure nobody was hurt.
We'd stay again, great hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Scoullar, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chester - Racecourse, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

Dear Lorrain

Thank you for your recent review of your stay at the Holiday Inn Express Chester Race course.

Please accept my sincere apologies with the issues regarding the mattress, Thank you for bringing this to our attention, I will have this matter rectified immediately.

I'm delighted to see you enjoyed your time with us. Thank you for your comments regarding staff, I shall pass this on to the team and I'm glad to see you enjoyed our breakfast. We cook all our hot items fresh every day and use fresh products.

The hot chocolate is my favourite also!!

We hope to see you again in the near future and thank you for your overall score of 4 stars

Emma Rose
Senior Duty Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,354)

Reviewed 29 January 2014

We stayed for two nights in January. The hotel is in a great location next to the racecourse, just a few minutes walk from the city walls and town centre. We had a standard room on the second floor, which overlooked the car park and part of the race course. The room was fine, quite compact, but clean and tidy. It was nice to have a sofa to sit on rather than just the bed. The bathroom was small but very well designed with a door that could be shut two-ways, to make the toilet separate from the rest of the bathroom if needed. The bathroom and shower looked in need of a little TLC in places - there was some mould staining on the grouting. But that's a minor quibble. The shower itself was excellent, plenty of hot water and high pressure. Towels were fluffy and I was really impressed that they had proper big bath sheets, rather than the tiny towels you often find in chain hotels.

There was some noise from the road at night, and the walls are quite thin so if you have noisy people above you (as we did) it can be irritating. I was ok, though, as I had my trusty earplugs (I don't leave home without them!). The bed had a soft mattress, which I'm not personally keen on, but the pillows were very comfy.

Breakfast was a serve-yourself buffet, with the usual cereals, fruit, croissants, pastries, and a hot choice of sausages, beans and scrambled eggs, all of which were very good. The addition of some muffins would have made it perfect for me!

Staff were courteous and helpful. The unlimited supply of hot drinks, with proper milk, was a big bonus for us. This, plus inclusive breakfast, free Wifi, free parking and the central location makes this hotel very good value for money compared to other hotels I've stayed at in Chester.

Room Tip: Try to pick a room at the rear, overlooking the racecourse. It's worth joining the IHG Member...
1  Thank SueW_67
Reviewed 29 January 2014

The primary purpose of a hotel room is to provide a night's sleep. Arriving at about 2.15 p.m we were allocated a room overlooking the racecourse and close to the railway. Rooms were still being made up after what had clearly been a busy Saturday night so perhaps arriving later might have resulted in one further from the railway and not having to struggle past cleaning trolleys with a suitcase. We could hear the trains quite clearly. The room also had an interconnecting door - something I hate as it virtually guarantees noise from the neighbours. However on a Sunday night we hoped there wouldn't be any. It was tempting to ask for a room change but we wanted to go and walk the walls before the daylight disappeared so set off. Returning to the room later we could hear our neighbour talking on their mobile phone and other noises probably from different rooms. You will definitely need your ear plugs here. Fortunately I had remembered mine and did get a reasonable night's sleep. Our neighbours had either asked to move rooms or were considerate about the noise later on.

The room was clean. adequate lighting, not a lot of space at the end of the bed. All of the reception staff were excellent (although we weren't given a city map, perhaps you had to ask) and keen to give advice on restaurants. Breakfast not full English and for coeliacs not a massive choice. Dont try to drink the chocolate from the machine, it was revolting. The location is very good. The bath sheet was generous. The curtains were capable of keeping out light. Easily adjustable shower and a single mixer tap at the sink for Americans. No body wash in the shower dispenser, something we discovered only when the first person got in the shower. As we had some of our own we didn't bother reporting this until we left, we were told some would have been brought up if we'd phoned down.

I wouldn't stay here on a Saturday night because of the poor soundproofing. The management should brick up some of those interconnecting doors and clean rooms away from the railway first.

Room Tip: ask for a room away from the railway
1  Thank buzzard2000
Reviewed 27 January 2014 via mobile

Couldn't fault our stay, our room was on the 3rd floor overlooking the racecourse, there is a railway line very close to the hotel but it didn't bother us in the slightest. The hotel is only a 5 min walk into the centre of beautiful Chester & the free parking is a bonus. We found all the staff to be very friendly, in particular Emma who works nights. The breakfast was very nice with plenty of choice. Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Scoullar, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chester - Racecourse, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Dear Tracey

Thank you for taking the time out to review your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express, Chester race course.

I'm delighted to see you enjoyed your time with us. Thank you for your very kind comments regarding staff I shall pass this on to the team who will be thrilled to see and a special well done to Emma.

Thank you for your overall score of 5 stars and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

Stayed here one night (Sunday) & used points to pay but the rooms were available for about £40 anyway so very cheap (on race days I think the rooms would be a lot more).
Pretty standard room but nice fluffy towel. Looked newly decorated, very comfortable, nothing to complain about, free wifi.
We did hear traffic noise as we were on the side facing the road but this wasn't too bad. The train line is right behind the hotel on another side but we didn't hear any train noise at all.
Located quite well within the racecourse grounds, free parking onsite once they check you have a booking.
Breakfast is free & perfectly fine, nothing fancy but hey, it's free! nice fresh fruit salad was good, some hot food & pastries......all quite adequate.
Walking up the road a little you hit the city wall & you're into the old town so location is great
It's all about compromise. The Grosvenor is right in the middle of the old town but you'd be paying a lot more for it.
We used the tripadvisor app to find a nice restaurant: Sergio's for dinner - not everything's open on a Sunday night & this place was lovely. The #1 restaurant on TA (a steak restaurant) is about the closest - about a 5 min walk up the road.

Would definitely stay here again - excellent value.

Room Tip: We were room #120 on the road side (think even numbers are probably road side) - 3 floors of rooms o...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Scoullar, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chester - Racecourse, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review the Holiday Inn Express Chester Racecourse.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate the 5 star rating.

We are very lucky with our location having such a beautiful city on our doorstep, I thrilled you managed to experience it fully.

I am glad you enjoyed your breakfast and have passed your comments onto the breakfast team.

I am delighted you enjoyed your meal at Sergio's, we also have three restaurants two on site and one in the city centre offering 10% discount of all food and drink for our guests. We also offer discounts for a number of local restaurants all within walking distance, for any recommendations we are always happy to assist.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 20 January 2014

We stayed here on a Sunday for £45 which was amazing value considering the free parking, breakfast and unlimited hot drinks. We were checked in by a very pleasant lady who told us that she had allocated us a room on the Racecourse side of the hotel, gave us a city map and told us where the nice restaurants were for dinner. The room and bathroom were very clean and we even had three pillows each! Contrary to some of the other reviews, we didn't hear any noise, I thought the hotel must be empty and was therefore surprised to see so many people at breakfast in the morning. The breakfast was good, lovely fruit salad, nice choice of pastries, yogurts and cereals and my husband enjoyed the hot food. Staff very pleasant and efficient, we shall certainly be back as it is also very convenient for the town.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Scoullar, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chester - Racecourse, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review of the Holiday Inn Express, Chester race course.

I'm delighted to read you enjoyed your time with us. Thank you for your comments regarding staff, i'm pleased to see them going the extra mile for our guest. I shall pass this on to the team who will be thrilled.

I'm Pleased to see you enjoyed our breakfast and thank you for your overall score of 5 stars

Reviewed 19 January 2014

great location 5 min walk to city centre free car parking which is a bonus
rooms ok pretty basic but serves its purpose
breakfast was lovely really enjoyed it
would defo stay again at the right price we paid 55 for the two of us and that included breakfast

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express, Chester Race course

I'm delighted to see you had a good time with us and enjoyed our free breakfast.

Thank you for your overall score of 4 starts and we hope to see you again in the near future

Operation Manager