“Excellent Location”

Holiday Inn Express Chester - Racecourse
Ranked #17 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Booked a Sunday night here in February.
Perfect location on the outskirts of the city centre.
Located right on top of the Racecourse with Free parking the hotel is only 2-3 minute walk from the city centre or 1 minute walk to City walls.
We arrived 2 hours before check in time but the hotel was happy for us to park for free whilst our room was getting ready.
The room itself is spacious and offers shampoo, towels, hairdryer and a t.v along with the usual kettle with tea and coffee.
The shower was powerful.
Breakfast has lots of options with sausage, scrambled eggs and beans as the only hot option but cereals and pastries were a plenty.
If i returned to Chester i would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the racecourse not the road as it was loud with the window open
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Scoullar, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chester - Racecourse, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express, Chester race course.

I'm delighted to see you enjoyed your time with us here at the hotel but also enjoyed our beautiful city.

I'm pleased to see you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast and thank you for your overall score of 4 stars

We hope to welcome you back to Chester in the near future

Steven

Reviewed 3 February 2014

Excellent location, free wifi, free parking.
Found three problems with the room on arrival - shower broken - door lock broken - hair dryer broken - all three problems fixed within 30 minutes.
Helpful, cheerful and pleasant staff.
Excellent cooked breakfast.
So very convenient for Chester City Centre.
Our first visit to the venue but certainly not the last.
Highly recommended

Room Tip: Some slight railway noise at the rear of the hotel but good double-glazing reduces the sound and it...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Scoullar, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chester - Racecourse, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

Dear Lawrence

Thank you for your recent review of the Holiday Inn Express, Chester Race course.

Firstly please accept my apologies for the problems you had when arriving to your room, although I am pleased to see all 3 problems we're rectified in speedy time.

I'm delighted to see the rest of your stay was enjoyable and thank you for your comments regarding the team - I shall pass this on whom I'm sure will be thrilled.

I'm pleased to see the last trip will not be your last and we look forward to welcoming you back here.

Emma Rose
Senior Duty Manager

Reviewed 31 January 2014

We stayed for four nights from Monday 20th Jan.
We where by given a room on the small quiet corridor, so had no issues with noise. You could hear the trains, but it is very near the line, so wasn't surprised.
The staff where all loverly, polite and so helpful.
Breakfast was fresh and good.
Free hot drinks all day for residents is as great idea, the hot chocolate was a treat after walking the walls.
Our room was warm, clean and comfy. Thee bathroom was clean with a nicer big shower.
We only had one issue. On our last night, as I got into bed, a big corkscrew type wire spring scratched by leg. It had come through a hole in the mattress. I wasn't hurt, just a red mark. I reported this to reception there next morning, she could not have been more concerned, asking if I wanted to put it in the accident book, I declined. I just wanted to makes sure nobody was hurt.
We'd stay again, great hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room.

Dear Lorrain

Thank you for your recent review of your stay at the Holiday Inn Express Chester Race course.

Please accept my sincere apologies with the issues regarding the mattress, Thank you for bringing this to our attention, I will have this matter rectified immediately.

I'm delighted to see you enjoyed your time with us. Thank you for your comments regarding staff, I shall pass this on to the team and I'm glad to see you enjoyed our breakfast. We cook all our hot items fresh every day and use fresh products.

The hot chocolate is my favourite also!!

We hope to see you again in the near future and thank you for your overall score of 4 stars

Emma Rose
Senior Duty Manager

Reviewed 29 January 2014

We stayed for two nights in January. The hotel is in a great location next to the racecourse, just a few minutes walk from the city walls and town centre. We had a standard room on the second floor, which overlooked the car park and part of the race course. The room was fine, quite compact, but clean and tidy. It was nice to have a sofa to sit on rather than just the bed. The bathroom was small but very well designed with a door that could be shut two-ways, to make the toilet separate from the rest of the bathroom if needed. The bathroom and shower looked in need of a little TLC in places - there was some mould staining on the grouting. But that's a minor quibble. The shower itself was excellent, plenty of hot water and high pressure. Towels were fluffy and I was really impressed that they had proper big bath sheets, rather than the tiny towels you often find in chain hotels.

There was some noise from the road at night, and the walls are quite thin so if you have noisy people above you (as we did) it can be irritating. I was ok, though, as I had my trusty earplugs (I don't leave home without them!). The bed had a soft mattress, which I'm not personally keen on, but the pillows were very comfy.

Breakfast was a serve-yourself buffet, with the usual cereals, fruit, croissants, pastries, and a hot choice of sausages, beans and scrambled eggs, all of which were very good. The addition of some muffins would have made it perfect for me!

Staff were courteous and helpful. The unlimited supply of hot drinks, with proper milk, was a big bonus for us. This, plus inclusive breakfast, free Wifi, free parking and the central location makes this hotel very good value for money compared to other hotels I've stayed at in Chester.

Room Tip: Try to pick a room at the rear, overlooking the racecourse. It's worth joining the IHG Member...
1  Thank SueW_67
Reviewed 29 January 2014

The primary purpose of a hotel room is to provide a night's sleep. Arriving at about 2.15 p.m we were allocated a room overlooking the racecourse and close to the railway. Rooms were still being made up after what had clearly been a busy Saturday night so perhaps arriving later might have resulted in one further from the railway and not having to struggle past cleaning trolleys with a suitcase. We could hear the trains quite clearly. The room also had an interconnecting door - something I hate as it virtually guarantees noise from the neighbours. However on a Sunday night we hoped there wouldn't be any. It was tempting to ask for a room change but we wanted to go and walk the walls before the daylight disappeared so set off. Returning to the room later we could hear our neighbour talking on their mobile phone and other noises probably from different rooms. You will definitely need your ear plugs here. Fortunately I had remembered mine and did get a reasonable night's sleep. Our neighbours had either asked to move rooms or were considerate about the noise later on.

The room was clean. adequate lighting, not a lot of space at the end of the bed. All of the reception staff were excellent (although we weren't given a city map, perhaps you had to ask) and keen to give advice on restaurants. Breakfast not full English and for coeliacs not a massive choice. Dont try to drink the chocolate from the machine, it was revolting. The location is very good. The bath sheet was generous. The curtains were capable of keeping out light. Easily adjustable shower and a single mixer tap at the sink for Americans. No body wash in the shower dispenser, something we discovered only when the first person got in the shower. As we had some of our own we didn't bother reporting this until we left, we were told some would have been brought up if we'd phoned down.

I wouldn't stay here on a Saturday night because of the poor soundproofing. The management should brick up some of those interconnecting doors and clean rooms away from the railway first.

Room Tip: ask for a room away from the railway
1  Thank buzzard2000
Reviewed 27 January 2014 via mobile

Couldn't fault our stay, our room was on the 3rd floor overlooking the racecourse, there is a railway line very close to the hotel but it didn't bother us in the slightest. The hotel is only a 5 min walk into the centre of beautiful Chester & the free parking is a bonus. We found all the staff to be very friendly, in particular Emma who works nights. The breakfast was very nice with plenty of choice. Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Scoullar, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chester - Racecourse, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Dear Tracey

Thank you for taking the time out to review your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express, Chester race course.

I'm delighted to see you enjoyed your time with us. Thank you for your very kind comments regarding staff I shall pass this on to the team who will be thrilled to see and a special well done to Emma.

Thank you for your overall score of 5 stars and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Steven Scoullar

Reviewed 21 January 2014

Stayed here one night (Sunday) & used points to pay but the rooms were available for about £40 anyway so very cheap (on race days I think the rooms would be a lot more).
Pretty standard room but nice fluffy towel. Looked newly decorated, very comfortable, nothing to complain about, free wifi.
We did hear traffic noise as we were on the side facing the road but this wasn't too bad. The train line is right behind the hotel on another side but we didn't hear any train noise at all.
Located quite well within the racecourse grounds, free parking onsite once they check you have a booking.
Breakfast is free & perfectly fine, nothing fancy but hey, it's free! nice fresh fruit salad was good, some hot food & pastries......all quite adequate.
Walking up the road a little you hit the city wall & you're into the old town so location is great
It's all about compromise. The Grosvenor is right in the middle of the old town but you'd be paying a lot more for it.
We used the tripadvisor app to find a nice restaurant: Sergio's for dinner - not everything's open on a Sunday night & this place was lovely. The #1 restaurant on TA (a steak restaurant) is about the closest - about a 5 min walk up the road.

Would definitely stay here again - excellent value.

Room Tip: We were room #120 on the road side (think even numbers are probably road side) - 3 floors of rooms o...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Scoullar, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chester - Racecourse, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review the Holiday Inn Express Chester Racecourse.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate the 5 star rating.

We are very lucky with our location having such a beautiful city on our doorstep, I thrilled you managed to experience it fully.

I am glad you enjoyed your breakfast and have passed your comments onto the breakfast team.

I am delighted you enjoyed your meal at Sergio's, we also have three restaurants two on site and one in the city centre offering 10% discount of all food and drink for our guests. We also offer discounts for a number of local restaurants all within walking distance, for any recommendations we are always happy to assist.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Kind Regards