“Pleasant One Night Stay”

Holiday Inn Express Chester - Racecourse
Ranked #17 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This was a very pleasant one night stay. I had managed to book the wrong type of room having stated on my Priority Club reservation that there was only one guest when there was of course two. The gentleman reception kindly changed the room from a twin to a double, without a fuss. The room was clean and comfy, and it was on the road side of the hotel. This was a little noisy from about 5am with the early trains, and then the noise built up all the way until rush hour, however it wasn't intrusive. The breakfast was plentiful, and if you wanted the hot option it was hot not tepid as in some hotels. Service was excellent and all the staff were very polite and helpful.
This hotel is about a 5min walk from the city centre with all its shops and restaurants. The hotel is great if you are on a budget or a flying visit as we were. There are better hotels in Chester if you want a romantic stay, or a more comfort, however this hotel is comfy at a price and a very reasonable price too.

Room Tip: Ask for a room over looking the racecourse.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,393)

Reviewed 8 May 2014

It is a basic hotel however all the staff I met were really helpfull rooms are small but adequate and clean, the view over the racecourse is awesome would definitely stay again on race day you cannot get a better location in chester..

Room Tip: Ask for the view
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Emma R, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chester - Racecourse, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Dear George041

Thank you for your recent review of the Holiday Inn Express, Chester race course

I'm delighted to read you enjoyed your time with us and thank you for your kind comments regarding staff.

Thank you for your over all score of 5 stars and we hope to see you again in the near future

Front of House Manager

Reviewed 7 May 2014

Stayed here recently for 2 nights. Nice hotel with a good buffet breakfast, hot and cold items, free tea and coffee available all day. Nice room overlooking the car park and racecourse. Everything was clean, bed very hard though. After 1st night we asked if they had a mattress topper but they said no. But they did put us duvet under the sheet and it was a lot better, slept a lot better the 2nd night. We found the hotel to be quiet, some people did bang their room doors though.

We had a meal at the White Horse restaurant on the racecourse and got 10% discount as we were staying at the hotel. The food was very nice and good service.

Hotel is in a great location, 5 minute walk into town. Would definately stay here again on our next visit to Chester.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Lonny

Thank you for your recent review of your stay at the Holiday Inn Express, Chester race course.

I'm please to read you had an enjoyable time with us and that you enjoyed our breakfast.

I'm sorry to read you didnt have a very comfortable nighst sleep on your first night put I am delighted to read that our staff went the extra mile to ensure your second nights stay was more comfortable for you.

Thank you for your overall score of 4 stars and we hope to see you again in the future

Front of House Manager

Reviewed 29 April 2014

This hotel has a noise problem. You get the choice of noise from the train line, generator or road. You choose. I tried asking for a different room but the male receptionist was pretty off hand (needs customer service training and fast) and told me that it was a city centre hotel and to expect noise. (I've stayed in plenty of city centre hotels and not had a problem).
The design is noisy too with doors that slam loudly, a lack of soundproofing so that you can hear guests next door having normal conversations (thanks to the adjoining door)
Great location but better places to stay just as close,
Breakfast is pretty basic with only sausages, scrambled eggs and beans (as well as the usual cold stuff). Premier Inn was miles better

Room Tip: ask for a room away from the generator, train line and road
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chester - Racecourse, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Dear emmaLeeds,

Thank you for your candid review of our property. I am pleased that our location was suitable for your needs. However, I would like to apologize if the noise levels experienced were a disappointment. We take all reviews negative or positive very seriously and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Pam G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Stayed overnight whilst the food and drink festival was on. Great location for that and for the short stroll into town later. Not a very personal hotel staff are very clinical but to be expected. Rooms lovely and clean. Breakfast good. Only thing was my booking said check in anytime but when i tried at 12 they told me to come back at 2pm. Nice touch with the creme eggs on the pillows for easter.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ginam84
Emma R, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chester - Racecourse, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Dear Gina

Thank you for taking the time out to review your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express, Chester race course.

I'm pleased to see you had an enjoyable time with us.

Please accept my apologies for the mix up with check in. Our check in time is from 2pm onwards and does state this on our website.

Thank you for your overall score of 4 stars and we hope to see you again in the near future

Front House Manager

Reviewed 25 April 2014

I wanted a bed for a staff night out. This hotel certainly delivered!
Great location, Comfortable bed, Good value, Free car parking, Bar open until 2am, Free wifi! Called my taxi for me which arrived very promptly. Staff on reception where very nice.
Overall a pleasent stay. Thank you

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 25 April 2014

When booking this hotel for a family get together, I took into account that it was and Express and that it was within easy walking distance of the town, On arriving we were greeted by a very nice reception staff who were very helpful, although no one told us that they had a rugby team on the premises, this is where the experience went totally out of the window, the room was adequate but nothing inside the room to signify that we were platinum priority members, no water, chocolate or anything other than what everyone had. after a pleasant walk and meal in the town, we went back for a good nights sleep, only to be woken by the Rugby players returning after their night out, they bumped, banged and slammed doors till 4am, no sleep was to be had. then the security managed to get them to quieten down, breakfast next morning was a bit of a bun fight what with the amount of people staying, but it was adequate.
Then another day sight seeing and a nice evening meal in the town, and when returning to the Hotel heard the security talking to the Rugby players asking for cooperation in behaving well, this they did, thank you Mr security man, however all the doors in the hotel have very harsh closing dampers, and banging was heard from all the doors. but a better nights sleep, The room was fine the bar was adequate, had I not been with my Brother and Sister, we would not have stayed the second night, The question is would I stay here again, well, if the door closers were fixed and if I was warned about teams of people who could be noisy etc. then possibly, but on what I experienced. no.
We were only offered a 30% reduction for the first night of our stay, which I accepted but later thinking about it, this was not in keeping with Holiday Inn.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chester - Racecourse, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2014

Dear Bigbigroy,

Thank you for being an IHG Rewards Club Platinum member and for leaving us a feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to help us improve our guest services.

I am disappointed to hear that your stay with us was not what you expected. I am really sorry that our staff has not provided any recognition of your Platinum status. I understand how this may have left you frustrated and I can assure you this experience is not representative of the service we expect to provide. Further, I sincerely apologize for the noise challenges you have encountered. Although we cannot account for the actions of our other guests, we can work to smooth uncomfortable situations to make all guests feel comfortable, safe, and welcomed. I have taken note of your valuable comments and rest assured, these will be used to monitor and improve the quality and services we offer to our guests.

Your patronage and support to the hotel are very important to us, as such, rest assured that your comments will be used to consider improvements. We hope that you give us another chance and allow us to redeem your faith in our products and services.

Dhan M