“Good location, shame about the breakfast” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Chester - Racecourse

Holiday Inn Express Chester - Racecourse
Ranked #17 of 45 Hotels in Chester
York Yorkshire
“Good location, shame about the breakfast”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2011

My work takes me to hundreds of hotels all over the uk, and have sampled many different breakfasts, but the breakfast here is very poor, even worse than Travelodges.
Its suprising for an american owned hotel chain to have such poor standards, it is "complimentary" but its neither a good continental or a poor english, just a bun fight !
I have booked a golf weekend stay here later this year, but will not be eating here.
They should give the option of discount for the breakfast, rather than dissappointing many guests, and their looks of disbelief at whats on offer.
The rooms are fine, clean and equipped with tea,coffee etc, but a bit small, the location is good and the car park is large and free.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
ExpressChester, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chester - Racecourse, responded to this review, 9 July 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review of The Holiday Inn Express Chester Racecourse.

Unfortunately brand standards prevent us from serving a full English breakfast however our free breakfast now consists of the following-
* Scrambled eggs
*Baked Beans
* Sausages
* Fresh Danish pastries
*Hot drinks & chilled fruit juices
* Cheese Portions
* Bread Rolls
* Cereals
* Yoghurts
* Assorted jams and toast
*Grapefruit segments

Our breakfast is free to all guests staying with us and therefore we are unable to offer a discounted rate for people who choose not to have breakfast with us.

I would love to invite you back to the hotel to try our newly improved breakfast.

Should you require accommodation in the future please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I shall do my best to offer a discounted rate.

Once again thank you for you comments.

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
  • Greek first
Darlington, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2011

Stayed at this hotel for 2 nights, very pleased with the location, the standard and decor of the hotel was in line with a 3 star and normal to what you would expect from a holiday inn express. Had been happy with our stay until we found out that we forgot some essential toiletries. A plaque in the bathroom wall did state that if we forgot some items of toiletries, the reception could provide them at their compliment, so, I thought, great. Went to reception, only to be told that they had to be paid for at a machine! What a lie. The next thing that happened was even worst, our key card suddenly stopped working when we went back to our room, went down to reception to get it sorted, no explanation or apologies as to why it wasn't working. Went back to the room, still NOT worked! Had to go back down again, same receptionist, still no apologies or explanation, another member of staff decided to step in and typed something on the computer and came up to the room with us to make sure the card worked. Thanks gods It did. I thought that was enough trouble for the day, at check out, was presented with a bill for the room by that same unhelpful member of staff when it had already been paid for at time of booking. The receptionist decided to go get help, then they worked out that there wasn't a bill to pay for after all. I was at this point had enough and requested for an apology, She rudely replied, 'You paid the website(hotels.com), not us.' I said,how were we supposed to know what goes on in the background?! This receptionist was unsuitable to work at the front desk, there was no eye contact, no smiles, no apologies when something's gone wrong, no customer service to speak of, very very disappointed. Puts us off booking with Holiday Inns again.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Elaine1128
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us at the Holiday Inn Express Chester Racecourse.

Since your stay we have carried out staff training and spoken to the member of staff mentioned. This service is not acceptable and nor is it the service we tolerate.

We use all reviews as a learning tool and ensure we as a service maintain high standards and thank you for your constructive criticism.

I hope everything was resolved through our guest relations process and we as the management team dealt with the issue accordingly.

We would like to welcome you back to the Holiday Inn Express Chester Racecourse in the future and we hope to be able to regain your confidence with us.

Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2011

It was a Holiday Inn Express....a motel after 7 days of B&B's and small inns! We love the places we stayed at previously, but it was like a blast of home right when we needed it.

Reception clerk Georgina (sp.) gave us a very warm and personal welcome, immediately making us feel good about our choice! Noting how tired we looked, she asked if we wanted dinner in and produced a sheaf of menus. "They will deliver here to the hotel", she pointed out. My husband and I looked at each other and instinctively chose Chinese at the same time. Something we hadn't done during our 2 week trip yet. Georgina was thrilled--"oh they are the best, and that's what we're having here for tea!" I'll organise it, and when it comes, you can just come down and pay for it and fetch it back up." We agreed that was a marvelous plan and dragged our bags via elevator to the first floor.

About 20 minutes later, Georgina called saying our dinner was here, so my husband went down to get it. Georgina had "sorted it out" to our food in a open box (about 6"high) with plenty of napkins, utensils, and crockery from the hotel. We were blown away by her simple kindness in this whole process. She could have just handed over a bag with the food....

Before we went to bed, there were noises in the hall...children literally running amuck. They knocked hard on the door, repeatedly, until I looked out and opened it. The child handed me a brochure for somewhere local....I went out to see what else was going on, and followed a trail of hotel brochures to the stairs and looked at the trail all the way down to the ground floor. I took the elevator down to let Georgina know about this (the hotel was spotless!) and found a half-eaten apple in the pot of a large plant and another on the bottom stair. When I told Georgina this little story, she was horrified and sent someone to clean everything up. The culprits were sitting at a table nearby, so they were quickly dealt with as well. I was very impressed by the immediate action, and pleased that the children, no matter how ill-mannered, were still treated like children.

Our room was very nice....just what we wanted--homogeneity! Nicely decorated in soothing colors of dark blue and white, bed, couch, desk witrh internet access, 2 sets of curtains over windows that opened (ours in the US rarely do in motels/hotels of this sort). By this time we knew the heat would go at 2300 (I don't think it ever did....) and that we had a lovely warm quilt, so no worries.

The bathroom was rather futuristic, with a sandblasted glass door, blue lights over the shower and at floor level as well as white lights over the sink, and plenty of space for personal items. The shower was of good size, worked well....warm water.....ahhh!!

Breakfast the next morning was what we would call a buffet breakfast and we helped ourselves to the plentiful choices and tasty hot foods to fortify for the day to come.

Nice hotel, all the basics and some extra comforts and glam....and with people like Georgina....I have to highly recommend this hotel!!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for you fantastic review regarding your stay with us at The Holiday Inn Express Chester Racecourse.

We are delighted to read any review from our guests especially when it is full of praises. I am so happy you enjoyed your stay with us and it is much appreciated that you have taken the time to post your comments.

It is also good to see a specific individual has made your stay so pleasant, your comments will be passed on to the whole team and I am sure this will increase the morale even higher especially the individual mentioned within your comments.

As mentioned we try and use our guest reviews as a learning tool and ensure we make the correct alterations as well as keeping the things our guests love.

The whole team at the Holiday Inn Express would love to welcome you back again soon.

Should you need any accommodation in the future please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2011

we stayed for 1 night in January and found it to very good, we only paid £66 for the room and there was myself, hubby and 7 years old. The room was a little on the small size with the sofa bed but it was very clean and the staff were friendly.
There was an ice machine so we were able to chill our drinks.
It is very close to the centre so excellent for shopping and our meal in the evening.
Breakfast was also excellent with no shortage of anything, the sausages and scrambled eggs were delicious and there was plenty of everything else.
All in all a lovely experience and a lovely weekend i would deffinately stay there again!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review the Holiday Inn Express Chester Racecourse.

I am delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your time with us and that you would definitely return.

Regarding the room size, all of our rooms are the same size however we do have 2 larger double rooms which are perfect for a family as it gives them that little extra space. I recommend when booking in the future request the larger double rooms and we will do our very best to accommodate you as we fill it is important for our guests to feel comfortable.

Thank you for the positive feedback regarding breakfast we are limited to what we are able to serve due to brand standards however we have recently improved the selection of items by introducing cheese portions, bread rolls and baked beans.

Once again thank you for your positive feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Express Chester Racecourse soon.

When booking your next visit please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Merthyr Tydfil, S Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2011

After reading reviews was a little worried, Room was excellent, hotel was excellent and Staff were lovely.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review regarding your stay with us at The Holiday Inn Express Chester Racecourse.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your positive comments and I am delighted you enjoyed your stay.

Your comments will be passed on to the rest of the team which I am sure they too will be delighted.

Should you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2011

My partner and in stayed at this hotel for a short 2 night break. Staff friendly when actually found. 9/10 there was no staff on reception. Good location, only 5 min walk from town centre. Rooms were very small but ok for 2 nights. Breakfast was terrible, we went into town and ate there instead as the only option was a small pastry or egg and sausage. As i booked and payed in advance, when I arrived they told me they had done a pre-accept ( or something to that effect) and froze an extra payment in my account. So I advise to pay on departure and not in advance

• Stayed January 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking to the time to review the Holiday Inn Express Chester Racecourse.

We use every review as a tool to ensure we meet all guest’s expectations. I am appalled to read that you felt there was no staff presence during your stay as this is not acceptable and is not the standards we strive to achieve. Staff training has been given to all members of staff and the whole reception team have attended a "Welcome Host" course. All members of staff are now aware that staff presence is one of the most important services we can offer to our guests.

Unfortunately brand standards prevent us from serving a full English breakfast however we have altered the recipe of our scrambled eggs and also now introduced baked beans, cheese portions and bread rolls to the free continental breakfast we offer.

Many hotels take pre authorisations from the guest’s cards prior to the guest arriving, as this gives the hotel some security as to any extra purchases made during your time with the hotel. I apologise that this has not been explained to you on check in, this has been addressed with the team.

I hope this has not affected your opinion of the Holiday Inn Express Chester Racecourse and we hope you choose to stay with us again in the future.

Stourbridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2011

We stayed here for a night to visit Chester Town and Chester zoo.

The hotel was nice and clean and quite modern, staff very helpful. Rooms were big enough and had a range of tv channels with tea, coffee making facilities.

Bath room was good size, very clean. and you get a free breakfast in the morning and free hot drinks and orange.

The hotel is a 2 minute walk into the town and is actually on the racecourse.

would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

May I firstly thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at the Holiday Inn Chester Racecourse.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate your positive comments.

We now offer a Chester Zoo package for £99.00 which is inclusive of bed, breakfast with hot offering, car parking, Wi-Fi, Zoo tickets and VAT.

Should you require any accommodation in the future please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Once again thank you for you positive comments.