“Lucky escape”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Chester
Frogg Manor Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #35 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Malaga, Spain
“Lucky escape”
Reviewed 4 February 2012

We were celebrating a special wedding anniversary, booked for Frogg Manor. We told the owner we would arrive between 5 and 6pm, on arrival at 5.30, reception was deserted. Eventually we found someone who called the owner who complained we were too early! The room was cold, the radiators were turned off and a small electric fire used as heating, not what I would expect for a hotel charging £128.00 a night. My husband decided to have a long soak in the bath, big mistake luke warm water. The owner was contacted and he told us that three people had bathed and we would have to wait 20 minutes for more water, we told the owner we were very disappointed and we were leaving, he did not express any concern. Beware.....

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Ann0152
Chieffrogg, Owner at Frogg Manor Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 23 February 2012
I remember this couple, Mr & Mrs Dennis Broster who stayed Friday 3rd February 2012 and having read their report I consider it spurious in the extreme. (1) The couple actually arrived 4.25pm and at that time advised they would be down for dinner at 7.30pm for 8.00pm dining. The couple made no contact after arrival until 7.35pm when Mrs Broster came down from the room and addressed the bar manager and demanded that he accompanied her back to the room, where she complained that the top of the plastic liquid soap dispenser was loose. The bar manager found that when the soap dispenser had been refilled the screw top plunger had not been secured, this he rectified. During his visit to the room he mentioned and Mrs Broster confirmed that despite the extremes in the outside temperature that night, in excess of minus 10 degrees, the room temperature was cosy and warm. We had indeed added an space heater to complement the central heating in view of the extremes in outside temperature. Whilst the bar manager was in the room she did say that there seemed to be no hot water and was advised that maximum demand from other rooms was the cause and that 20 to 30 minutes the water would be back to temp. However since they had been in occupancy for over THREE HOURS and this was the time we were now expecting them down for dinner, I find it odd that she has stated that her husband was requiring to take a long soak and also since they had been in the room for over three hours her comment on the temperature of the room can not be considered valid and as previously mentioned, this whole report is spurious.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2012

When i booked this dump i was told that if i dined there the room for the night would be free, on arriving the proprietor then informed me that this rate was for a different part of the week and should i wish to stay he would reduce the room rate to £90 as long as we dined there. As this was a treat for my wife and did'nt want to dissapoint her i wrongly decided to stay for the night. Having seen how messy the reception was the alarm bells should have started to ring, the room was cluttered with wires to lights bodged under carpets the room smelled musty, the tea bags in the draw i can only guess how long they had been there along with a jar of coffee that was a quarter full, the evening meal was disgusting and served in what i can only describe as a dilapidated greenhouse, we ordered chicken only to be told there was only one piece, so i had to order somthing else from a very limited menu, the vegetables consisted of one half of a carrot one piece of asparagus which was mushy and was well passed its best. the rest of the meal we should have not bothered to eat. We asked to see the treehouse room and could not belive the state it was in, the proprietor had not bothered to service this room after the last guests had left which by the state of the room was some time ago, the room needed a good clean the bed had not been made or sheets changed even the crockery was still there complete with the remains of the coffee in the cups. the bar area had xmas decorations still hanging from the ceiling and from the amount of dust on them they must have been there for 20years, every part of this place is a mess, we were the only people staying there i can understand why,

Room Tip: Dont go here
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
10 Thank John R

Travellers are raving about these Chester hotels

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 January 2012

What can I say this is without the quirkiest place I’ve ever been, having seen it advertised on late rooms at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon at a bargain price we took a quick look at the website http://www.froggmanorhotel.co.uk and decided to give it a go and booked to stay that very evening. As we pulled up outside my initial thoughts were OMG! what have I done and they didn’t improve as I stepped though the big red door in to the reception area which was chaotic to say the least, We were greeted by the owner were payment was agreed and shown to our room the Sherlock Holmes Suite quite possibly the strangest room I’ve ever slept in but instantly comfortable and weirdly wonderful. We quickly unpacked and went to check out the bar. There does not seem to be anywhere that does not have something weird a wonderfully strange to look at from wooded African carved frogs to cuddly stuffed animals in masks. Every room is packed with different things to draw your attention and the 30s and 40s music being played just somehow make this place a wonderful experience that I would highly recommend but be warned you will need an open mind and if you’re looking for a super clean dust free controlled environment that the travel lodges and big chain hotels pitch on TV then The Frog Manor Hotel is not for you. We also booked to Eat in the hotel restaurant and although it is quite pricey the food was amazing both my wife and I had the Fillet Dipped in Crushed Black Peppercorns as a main cooked to perfection it melted in the mouth, I had the Steamed Black Pudding “Winston Churchill Style” and my wife the Salmon in filo pasty which she told me was amazing, told me as I didn’t even get the chance of a taste as she enjoyed it so much, and then a fantastic cheese board and a glass of port all of which was exceptional. We then returned to the comfort of the lounge with roaring fire and comfy chairs for more after diner drinks before going on to the Bar and Dance floor with big video screen and a great selection of music from the 70’ & 80’ where were rocked the night away to the early hours, breakfast was pre ordered the night before for a time that was acceptable to us in this case 10am most acceptable. The entire experience of the Frog Manor Hotel & Restaurant was brilliant and we look forward to a return later in the year when budget will allow.

Room Tip: Look at there webiste every room is different and amazing.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank soscom
PJSmart
Reviewed 27 January 2012

We are fortunate enough to live fairly close to Frogg Manor, and have enjoyed the hospitality three times so far, and EACH time, the food has been excellent, and I can't stress enough...excellent. If you like steak, particularly steak that is always cooked exactly as you order it, and is so tender there is no need for a steak knife, you'll enjoy yourself here.

The rest of the experience really does depend on whether you 'get it' or not, and how open minded you are about what constitutes a good night out. Yes, the décor could be classed as shabby, but could equally as well (and possibly more fittingly) be described as cosy. It's shabby, quirky, some might say quintessentially English.

The last visit (two days ago) I took a fairly open minded couple of American friends, and they adored it, because of the stereotypical view of 'Olde England'. The owner/chef John went out of his way, in all manner of ways, to make our evening pleasant, and he succeeded.

To quote my American friend, 'that is not only the best meal I have ever eaten in England, it may just be in the top three or four meals I have ever eaten anywhere'.

If you want a spotless, soulless gin palace - please don't go. If you want a unique atmosphere, and stunning food, knock yourself out.

Room Tip: The tree house, just book the tree house.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank PJSmart
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 January 2012

A heavenly review - literally! I treated my husband to a stay in the Guinevere Suite (Tree House) for his birthday. What an experience! The sumptuosly furnished suite took our breath away. When you have finished admiring all the nooks and crannies and beautiful decor. had your fill of the huge widescreen T.V. and other entertainment features, you can lie on the huge bed, switch off the lights and be transported to Heaven via the solar system projector which literally turns the ceiling into the milky way - wow!!! If it hadn't been for the lure of John's wonderful food and the chance to dance into the wee small hours, we could happily have spent all our time in the tree house. Another unforgettable experience from our favourite hotel. Thanks,
John!!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 January 2012

We have been several times and it is consistent to say the least. Food is good - quite normal but served with a portion of "mad". Not quite sure how to put my finger on it. I do not protest or complain, and I would not want it to change. You sit there wondering who all the other customers are. A one off that must be tried. An annual occasion for me. We have stayed in the log cabin in the garden. Over priced and pretty shabby but again, you sort of expect it. We will be back!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Smallcar
The City of Aston!
Reviewed 4 January 2012

In 2010 I had Christmas lunch here with a family group of around 12. We had a wonderful day. Looked after and fed like lords, and happy to a man. Christmas Day at Frogg Manor is not cheap, but it isn't wherever you may go.
It was good enough for us to feel we had to do it again in 2011 - and we didn't regret it. If you have problems with eccentricity, then you should not go, but if you value real character you have to try it!

Room Tip: See the website. You will not be disappointed. They have some celebrity regulars!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chester
Carden Park Hotel
Crabwall Manor Hotel & Spa
Crowne Plaza Chester
Crowne Plaza Chester
#10 of 44 in Chester

Been to Frogg Manor Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!