“What an amazing place”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Chester
Frogg Manor Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #36 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed 13 January 2009

Frogg Manor!!! The most truly fantastic place we have ever been. To celebrate my husbands 40th and not wanting a 'typical hotel' ..... I booked the Tree House (Lady Guinevere suite) in the garden. On arrival we were greeted promptly and shown to our room. The room was amazing..offering a full range of toileteries, aftershaves etc...(even wellies and brollies were provided!!!) They have thought of everything! It was a dream experience when the stars twinkled on the ceiling.
Excellent food and superb service. Quirky with a difference would best describe Frogg Manor...we cannot wait to go back! Thank you to Jennifer and all the staff for making us feel so welcome! The Roebucks!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank shelley873
There are newer reviews for Frogg Manor Hotel & Restaurant

Reviewed 11 January 2009

We stayed at Frogg Manor for a birthday treat - we arrived mid afternoon on Saturday and was immediately shown to our room -Nelson just off reception. The hotel does not appear to have central heating but each room has a small electric heater - our room was large and the heater way too small to heat it especially as the en suite bathroom only had a heated towel rail. Our room like the rest of the hotel was nicely furnished - the bed was very comfortable and the linen clean. The general standard of cleanliness was not brilliant, dust on all surfaces, cobwebs around the fireplace, dirt on the carpets. Our main problem with the room and in fact the whole hotel was a sense of claustraphobia from the ornaments; the pictures; the dried flower arrangements; the fake trees; the magazines; the books; the furniture - how they pass a fire hazard inspection is beyond me!
The food was lovely in the restaurant but the wine very expensive. Our breakfast was included in the room rate and was a basic cereal and toast; we did feel 15 pounds each for a full English was way too expensive.
So, if you like querky bordering on bizarre you might like this all I can say is that it wasnt for us!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chieffrogg, Owner at Frogg Manor Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2009

This reviewer is not very observant, apart from the nit picking (cobwebs, you do get those
in 17th Century buildings). The suggestion that the hotel does not have central heating,
the review should see my heating bills. We do in fact have electricity, gas, solid fuel and oil
fired central heating. The room occupied by the reviewer has two solid cast iron finned radiators, each 6ft by 2ft. Admittedly they are out of sight, behind the curtains. Maybe the
outside temperature that weekend of minus 6 degrees centigrade was a factor. Anyway,
the electric radiator is provided for supplementary heating. This lack of observation probably explains why the reviewer did not notice, that out of some ten separate floral decorations throughout the public areas, only two are silk and those in dark colours away from the sun.

Regarding the comment on prices we have had similar comments before. Suffice it to say, a car is a car, but a Merc. is a different price to a Larda.

Finally a quick viewing of our web page pictures would have given a representative image of the décor and antique furniture. As we say in our publicity pre amble “not for all tastes”. This reviewer obviously favours the more modern, spartan, minimalist décor.

Reviewed 28 December 2008

We had our wedding reception at the Frogg Manor and all of our 8 guests stayed over. This hotel is fantastic but not for everyone; it is not some faceless 5 star, it is quirky, unusual and different to any hotel we have ever visited. The property itself is like an Agatha Christie novel from the 40's on acid. The rooms range from incredible to nice with the Lady Guinevere (tree house) being possibly the best hotel room we have ever stayed in. The food is impeccable and the staff are really friendly. John, the owner, is very direct, a brilliant cook and possibly insane (in a nice way). Thanks Frogg Manor for making our wedding celebration so special and memorable. We will certainly choose Frogg Manor again for our anniversary celebration.

• Stayed: December 2008
2  Thank Heidihig
Reviewed 24 December 2008

My daughter go married yesterday and we all stayed at Frogg Manor for the one night. Can't fault the service it was perfect every time they saw our glasses getting empty they were over enquiring if we needed refills without being pushy nicely done.

Food was to die for and if anyone else says different then they had better stay at one of those faceless hotels without any charater.
this place is magical and their wasn't one thing over looked there was all manor of things in the bathroom cabinet, that if you had forgotten even a toothbrush there was a spare one for you even found a boxed pair of tights in the sewing box I found this hotel to be perfect even down to the candle lite smooking shed which even had a fire in to keep you warm god bless you john you thought of everything we found out that you are dog friendly too and that will bring us back in the summer.

My daughter and her new husband stayed in the tree house which is specially done up for honeymoon nights that was out of this world everything catered for them both even a consterlation projecter in the room which was very pretty. all I can say is john and his wife have worked there socks off to get this quirkey place just right lol Erika

• Stayed: December 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Pollygranit
Reviewed 8 November 2008

We had planned our weekend at Frogg Manor weeks ago and had so looked forward to it. The friends we went with have stayed before and absolutely love the place, but our experience was ruined by the rude manner of the owner. In all fairness the hotel is wonderful,and the food is superb, the staff we met were lovely, but the owners manner spoils all that. We had heard he was eccentric, which would have been fine, but their is a world of difference between eccentric and downright rude. Our first experience of the owners manner came as we checked in. We stood at the desk for some time as the owner sat working on something, he knew that we were there but didn't acknowledge or greet us, not even a ' won't be a minute' or 'be with you in a sec' , After a discreet cough from me he did turn around and we checked in and were firmly told that we needed to be on time or early for our evening meal reservation the following evening as they were expecting a party of more than 60 people, fair enough, no problem we thought, but the way it was said had my husband and I glancing at each other in disbelief. There was no smile, no welcome, we were just made to feel a nuisance. Also he certainly made his point of us having to pay for each and every item at breakfast - again not a problem in itself -just the manner of delivery. We decided to ignore it and get on with our weekend and went on to be impressed by the rooms and the magnificent food we ate that evening. The next morning we wanted to call our friends who were also staying at the hotel but we needed their room name, so I called reception - as you do - the owner answered ( not by saying Hello or Good Morning, just a curt 'yes' ) and I politely asked for the name of their room, he then gave the wrong room name, told me abruptly that he hadn't time for this as he was preparing breakfasts and put down the phone! I was stunned! I sat with the phone in my hand for several seconds, absolutely incredulous at this treatment . I decided not to mention this to my husabnd so as not to ruin the weekend for all four of us. We later went down for breakfast and were shown to a table by a waitress,. Several minutes later another couple were shown to a table. Shortly after the owner came in and handed menus to the couple who came in after us, then he came over to us and announced abruptly and loudly that we were far too early and would have to come back later. (People were eating at a table behind me and it was well after 9am) My husband later told me that the group of people on the table that was occupied looked incredulous at the way he spoke to us . Humiliated, we left the restaurant with faces flaming. We hadn't arranged a time to have breakfast, though he did try and tell us that we should have in the conversation that followed in the reception area. By this time my husband had quite rightly had enough of this treatment, but as we were staying with friends we were going to bite our tongues and just go elsewhere for breakfast - we had only stayed 1 night of our 2 night reservation - but when we were passing through reception on the way to our room, the owner caught us up, there followed a brief disagreement which resulted in him telling us that he didn't like our attitude and to P**S off! Funny, I thought he was the one with the attitude problem, we had been on the receiving end of it since arriving, but maybe he is doing us all a favour by letting us spend our hard earned money at his hotel, that is certainly the impression we got. Well if you are prepared to be made to feel a nuisance for being a guest(?????) and you don't mind being verbally abused and subject to foul language you may well love the Frogg Manor experience, but as people who like to be treat with at least a little respect ( and I don't mean the cap doffing kind ) we would not recommend anyone who likes service with a smile to grace this place with their presence. The world is full of wonderful hotels of which this could so easily have been one, try somewhere else. Teach the frog some manners!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with friends
3  Thank LaineyLancashire
Chieffrogg, Owner/Manager at Frogg Manor Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2009

There are always two sides to any story and this story is no exception. Since this reviewer has expressed herself in a long and detailed report the response needs to be similar, even though it all adds up to a storm in a tea cup. In the first instance, I did not, use strong language to BOTH, but I did use strong language to the reviewers husband and for which I have no regrets or apologies.

The crux of this matter was the breakfast experience all other references to service and my attitude have been given to add colour to this story. On arrival the reviewer is correct when saying she was attended to immediately, I did have my back to her being engrossed in attending to a reservation email, but her assumption that I was aware of her presence is wrong, in fact I was not aware of her presence until she coughed perhaps because my hearing is slightly impaired due to my 73 years. Neither does she mention that I was not alone, my PA was also present and was engaged on the telephone. So the reviewer was quite correct, she was kept waiting…… for all of about 30 seconds. The reviewer also does not mention that she and her husband were staying over night in a complimentary room part of a special offer which among other things excluded breakfast. On arrival it is important that persons staying on this special offer understand the terms and exclusions relating to this special offer for complimentary accommodation. I make no apology for spelling this out in Headmaster fashion. However I do apologise for being some what abrupt when she telephoned prior to breakfast. The call did not come through to reception but direct to the kitchen where I was cooking breakfast. Hot oil and pans in one hand are not conducive to telephones in the other, so conversation tends to be necessarily abrupt, so I did tend to be somewhat terse at the intervention and so advised the incorrect room in my haste.

I now come to the crux of the matter. Breakfast is served by pre-orders between 9am and 10.30am the breakfast menu offers a wide choice of items and consequently to avoid delays residents are requested to pre-order their chosen items and complete a breakfast order form prior to retiring, quoting their required breakfast time. Copies of the breakfast menu are included in the room information folder, the breakfast menu is also an attachment to the room tariff on our web page and further all residents are given a copy of the breakfast menu following dinner. The reviewer and her husband were staying with two other residents were given a copy of the breakfast menu following dinner. Their two fellow residents completed a breakfast form for 10am but the reviewer did not. On the following morning a party of 8 residents had booked for 9am and a party for 4 at 9.15am. Whilst I was preparing breakfast for these residents I was advised that the reviewer and her husband had arrived in the restaurant. Because of the circumstances of attending to the pre-orders and with only one waitress and myself on duty they were not attended to for at least 10 minutes, at which time I left the kitchen to take their order for breakfast to find
the reviewer and her husband were in the process of departing from the restaurant. I endeavored to explain to both about pre-orders and the breakfast order form but all I got from the husband was an aggressive hairy chested response.

Reviewed 5 October 2008

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 October 2008

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chester
The Boathouse & Riverside Rooms
#2 of 44 in Chester
The Mill Hotel
The Mill Hotel
#12 of 44 in Chester

Been to Frogg Manor Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!