“Best food, great staff”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Description: Postcode is CH4 8BJ
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Ignore the one poor review ... if you want a fancy pants restaurant where the staff simply serve you and then leave you alone, go somewhere else. If you want great food, great prices and some interaction, you will love this place. It is family run and the 'boss' will happily plonk herself next to you, ask about your day and tell you about hers. The chefs are top notch, so the food is amazing everytime.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Another fantastic meal at my favourite Indian restaurant, food as always excellent, staff friendly and helpful.

1  Thank Dee M
Reviewed 25 March 2014

After visiting the Saltney Tandoori on Saturday I felt that I needed to add a comment to say how much I enjoyed both their food and the warm and friendly staff. I was really shocked to see the recent comment on how poor everything was. I find this hard to believe considering my experience and the other great reviews this place has had. I actually I feel that this is completely disproportionate and I'm sure that if they experienced all those problems their staff would've done everything to try and put things right. The women who served us was very attentive and friendly and me and my friends were made to feel relaxed and welcome. We visited them at their busiest time with both sitting in customers and takeaway orders and the phone was going constantly - This is usually a good sign for a good restaurant. They did seem rushed off their feet but they seemed to be handling everything rather well and our experience never really suffered because of it. Our food was served in good time and it tasted amazing, in fact, I even commented that it was the best curry I've ever tasted, regardless of where their staff our from. Do you actually have to be Indian to cook good Indian food...?

If there's anything I'd suggest it would be to improve the lighting and the atmosphere. It seemed really bright and stark and we couldn't hardly hear the music. Turn that up a little and the lights down and the place would be as perfect as their food is.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Visited due to the number of good reviews and were very disappointed.
Booked using taste card and were immediately made to feel very uncomfortable.
Seated at the only table which wasn't set properly. Given menus with post it notes stuck to them saying the prices were wrong and to ask for current prices. The waitress (grand daughter of the owner) had no idea the prices were wrong or what they actually were.
Had none of the cheapest wines in stock, which we felt was deliberate as we were using taste card and they wanted us to spend more!
Had to ask twice for the wine and then had to ask again for some glasses!
As for the food.....
The onion bhajis were bright red. We're talking an entire bottle of food colouring in each one!!
Quality of food was poor to average and the quality of meats was very poor indeed. More fat than meat in the lamb dishes. We later discovered the chef is not even Indian. So with the owners being English, there is nobody working here who actually knows authentic Indian cuisine and it shows very clearly in the food being served up.
Service was terrible as the owner kept disappearing to take out deliveries. Presumably there are no taxis in chester?
Had to wait an eternity for her to return to get our bill as her mother who was left in charge had no idea how to do this.
The bar was by this time completely covered in dirty glasses etc as there were simply no staff to clear up.
At £23 for a meal for 2 including wine this was a cheap meal thanks to taste card. However I have to be honest and say it wasn't even worth half that amount

5  Thank NigelM67
Reviewed 3 March 2014

The Saltney Tandoori is an unusual place. On entering, it doesn't look much like an Indian restaurant and the family of owners definitely aren't. But, they are very friendly and offer good service with smiles on their faces. The cook, however, is from Asia and knows his stuff! An extensive menu is offered. All three of us were very happy with our choices...very tasty, perfect quantities and well presented. Come here for the food and not to be dazzled with Indian decor etc. Very good food at very reasonable prices!