“A complete shock....and not a good one”
Review of The Weighing Room - CLOSED

The Weighing Room
Cuisines: Bar
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Brought together through food and drink, we are proud to serve craft beer, wine, cocktails and simple, great locally sourced food. Social dining is our philosophy, craft beers are our passion. Come and join us in our home in the heart of Chester
Chester
“A complete shock....and not a good one”
Reviewed 18 January 2014

Chester racecourse as the owners if you are reading please sell this now before you lose any more money. Or if this is a bankruptcy ploy to shut and re-open please do it quick.

I can only imagine this is the reason for this as the new 'décor' (if this is indeed what you call it) smacks of a business wanting to close its doors. What was once a place with huge round tables with sheek table cloths, comfy and classy leather chairs and chandeliers hung from the ceiling is now basically nothing more than a room that bares resemblance to a skate board park with horrible graffiti walls, metal tables, cheap Ikea stools and light bulbs hanging down from metal girders.

I asked for a drink at the bar. They had got rid of 'Boddingtons' and not bothered to replace it with anything so we were stuck with overpriced drinks. We were told that the drinks were due to be massively reduced and cater for a more student clientel. Again not sure who is churning these ideas out but the inevitable sale of the place or even closure is soon on the horizon

Didn't eat. Read the menu, wouldn't want to. I have to say that every version of this place, from the early days when it was called 'No.10 Commonhall Street' to the trendy Pelican and even through the 'tapas' days of The Weighing Room prior to this 'refurb' (again I say this loosely), the food has always been consistently good. So even more horrified to learn that the choice is now hot dogs.

The entire atmosphere of the place is now wrong. We were sitting watching people walk in and literally turn around and walk back out. The place was deserted, even the DJ looked bored. I would normally put this down to a cold, rainy night in January but I have never seen this place quiet and bars 20 yards away were full. The change has produced radical results for all the wrong reasons.

I have no doubt that there is going to be a vein of people that will like this as place as a novelty. There is nothing like this in Chester. Will it be enough people to sustain it though....absolutely not. Can't even imagine this radical change will even suit students merely for logistical purposes as it's the other side of the city from where they live and study.

All in all this whole place is like the phallic drawings in the gents toilets....a bad idea. Chester residents if you are a regular here or popped in for a drink now and again and liked it....you're going to hate it. Visitors to Chester....pop in for the experience by all means but it used to be 100 times better.

Will I be back.....no way. Not until it' sold again anyway.

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank marko5Chester

cheshire
“Oh no ! What have you done ? ”
Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

Great if your 16 and wanting to spend your cash on overpriced drinks .

Has had a refit !!! It's awful. IMO .

Cold , empty and lifeless. Great if your u 18 it looks like a 1990 youth club .

Will not be returning

2 Thank alelol
Llandudno, United Kingdom
“Shopping lunch”
Reviewed 16 December 2013 via mobile

Came here whilst out shopping in chester, had been in the past but didn't realised it had changed. They only have hot dogs or pizza on the menu now which is a shame as the food was lovely last time I came. The hot dog I had was nice but would have liked something else as it didn't go very well with the wine I was drinking.the girl that served was very friendly.As I had already sat down I thought it would be too rude to leave so I just ordered the cheapest meal on there! There was another table that left as they obviously wanted other food. Probably won't go again as I felt to old for the place as they have even spray painted /graffiti work all over the walls so probably more suited to a younger crowd now. Shame really as you can see from the old photos on here it was lovely as it was so you will be shocked with the transformation;((

Visited November 2013
“A refreshing change to a historic city”
Reviewed 22 November 2013

A funky and fresh new bar that has everything we were looking for. Amazing cocktails with different and exciting food that was served to us from order to table in 15 minutes....i will definitely be bringing my lunchtime meetings here with high end clients, it's certainly a place to impress!
Who wants over rated tapas and wine when you can have a dirty dog and a cocktail!

It's so good to see something different in a city centre full of boring branded restaurants that offer cold and over priced food which are over run by kids parties and where you have to scream for decent service from unorganized staff!

I will definitely be making this place my local!

• Visited November 2013
UK
“A Turn for the Worse”
Reviewed 22 November 2013

A group of us ate here two months ago and loved it so we booked again for a colleague's leaving party. I wasn't even there when I knew we were in trouble. One of the party rang to tell us that the menu had changed and instead of delicious and creative tapas style dining, they'd replaced the menu with hot dogs and pizza and buckets of beer.

When we arrived I was pretty shocked to see the once rather classy interior defaced with mock graffiti and the music so loud it was almost painful. We left without eating or drinking anything. When I exclaimed (rather too loudly) "What were they thinking of?" I was told by a man who clearly worked there "We're thinking of making some money".

"Not from us" I said and we all walked out to find somewhere with a proper menu.

Maybe it'll be a hit with the young and stupid who want to pay silly money for sausages. But it was a major disappointment for us.

Visited November 2013