“good fun and intrigue”

The Chester Tour
Ranked #3 of 21 Tours in Chester
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: All tours are led by fully qualified Blue and Green Badge Guides.A guided tour of Chester is the best way of seeing the city and there is a tour at 10.30am every day of the year. Tours generally last for approx 1.5 hrs so even if you are in Chester for a few hours make the most of your time here and let one of our experienced guides show you all the highlights of this beautiful city. A variety of sightseeing tours and themed walks are available all year round for both groups and individual visitors. Public tours run daily throughout the year (some tours are seasonal and availability should be checked prior to arrival). All tours are available all year round to private parties and groups but must be pre-booked.
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We had friends coming from Lancashire for a chilly evening and food so we booked a family ticket (£17)and a 2x tickets (£8 each.) Large group of us were split into 3 with about 20 ish people in each. We all went off, as a group, in our separate ways.
Our guide, Rodger, dressed as a grey monk, was knowledgeable and interesting. He had a quiet voice and you had to really move into the group to hear him, but he was entertaining. The tour was not about many pub ghosts, which I have experienced around Chester before, but about leaving you thinking about whether something was possible and so very intriguing. Was that the case? Could that really happen? Did they die like that?
Great history knowledge too with many local facts. A good walk around little nooks and crannies in Chester as well as a good walk around the city and some of the walls.
We had 2 children with us; 8 and 12; the youngest wasn't too impressed but the oldest really enjoyed it. We as four adults, all loved it. An interesting way to spend a friday evening around Halloween and Bonfire Night.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

If your looking for a way of entertaining your teenagers at Halloween I cannot recommennd highly enough the Chester Ghost Tour.

I took 3 x 14yr old boys who are at that awkward age between child and adulthood.

Well what can I say ? Not only was it fascinating hearing some of the history of the City of Chester and its past residents but also thought provoking enough to set the minds a wandering and you glancing over your shoulder. The atmosphere created and story telling skills of our guide was second to none. At times we could actually imagine ourselves in the moment. Brrrr . Its always tricky entertaining teenagers but I think the conversation the tour provoked in the car on the way home said it all. It was a big hit with us all !

2  Thank RosieRobertson
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I had a thoroughly good time on this tour on Saturday, and a completely different experience! Yes, we were divided into 2 smaller groups at the beginning, otherwise it would have been like herding cattle. I was in the other group but we all met at St John's Church near then end of the tour and I would say the group was as big as it was at the beginning, I loved it and had a great time and would thoroughly recommend it.

2  Thank NikxWild
Reviewed 19 October 2013

I got the impression that we were causing a bit of problem by turning up to this walk! Picked up the tickets as instructed, arrived at the right location and was then subjected to head count because they couldn't take more than 50 people per night. Having arrived at 54 a few times, the two women then attempted the impossible task of working out what half of 54 was and eventually split us down the middle.
We had a large(ish) group of people ranging from 20 to 50 with one child who we were reminded over and over again was twelve years old - hashtag: joshua. The tour guide introduced herself a few times, forgetting that she had already informed us that she was Christine and continued to present to whole tour to us like children. 'Now, what do you think of that?' and ''So, what do you think happened next?'
We were positioned in ways that made viewing the buildings she was talking about quite difficult. At one time we were ushered into a service road and had to crane our necks to see the two of the buildings.
Unfortunately, not one 'story' was an account of a ghost. It was just the story of how each person had fallen in love, been heartbroken and then died. There was little in the way of paranormal.
When she produced que cards to relate a story there seemed to be no beginning, middle or end and the names and dates seemed to confuse her. In fact, the entire dialogue was played out as if she was reciting stuff in her bedroom mirror but missing all of the factual/well known stories linked to the locations we visited.
Half way through the tour a few people dropped out but considering she struggled counting to 50 at the initial headcount, it was little wonder that she acknowledged everybody as present at the end of tour - god forbid any of us were sucked into a parallel universe or dragged to the fires of hell because she would have been none the wiser.
The highlight of the tour was the coffin in the church wall, that was left to our imagination as she had forgotten to being a torch powerful to attract a moth!
I've read the Historical Tour as a huge success but if you want all that the ghost tour promises to evoke, I'd recommend goggle and having a look at the places yourself.

3  Thank DubVersion
Reviewed 19 October 2013 via mobile

Just got back from the Chester Ghost Tours with my other half and my brother who I have come up to visit.

The poster shows a great view looking across the east gate bridge at night setting the scene for a scary tour. Christine our guide dressed in a black velvet gown with black umbrella looking the part. The tour doesn't even go up on the bridge let alone talk about it, you don't even touch the roman walls and stand well away from all the buildings that are talked about.

This is the most un-interesting and factless tour I have been on, and wish I gave my £8 to the juggling man who needed the money.

Reading from cue cards to back up her facts, stories with no enthusiasm, and people deciding to walk off half way through because it was frustrating for them. Each story came across as though it was being made up as she went along, stuttering and pausing. It became obvious that everyone felt the same. What have we paid for here. Trying to point out a wooden grave up high in St Johns church but a weak torch that couldn't reach it.

The stories miss key information that is well known and is more a basic history lesson with someone dying thrown in to make it relate slightly.

I am so disappointed with this tour and really would think twice about spending £8 on this.

2  Thank Stu_Med