“Great Kebab House”

Cuisines: Turkish
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Opening Hours:Mon - Thurs 5pm till 10pmFri - Sun 12 noon till 10pm
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Visited this place for the first time yesterday. It should be called the Turkish Kebab house rather than BBQ but that's another point. Before going there I had a drink in the Cottage where I bumped into a friend who advised "you don't need a starter in there"..... Of course I did not listen and I had a starter and a main.......I struggled to finish the main. The food was very good if a bit limited in choice but then it is a Kebab house so what do you expect. The lamb chunks I had were perfectly cooked and both dishes were very nice. The main portions were "ample", I will go again so enough said!. The staff were attentive but one of them had an obsession about keeping the door closed which was really not needed when an old lady was trying to get out of the place. Apart from that the whole experience was very good.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,281)

Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I visited Istanbul BBQ after reading fantastic reviews and wanting to try something different. We visited on a Saturday evening , I would book.
We ordered the hot mezze to share which was out of this world.
Food was very fresh and cooked to perfection.
For our mains I had the chicken cluck which was absolutely amazing it was a shame to have to leave a little as I was full from the starter. My husband had the Iskender kebab which once again was cooked to perfection. He had to leave a bit too as he was full but the waitress offered to box both our leftovers up for us but as we were going on a night round Chester we didn't bother.
Restaurant itself was immaculate the staff were very helpful and nothing was too much trouble.
The prices were good we had a hot mezze starter to share , a bottle of wine and both ordered of the speciality menu the bill totalled £54.00.
Would def recommend a visit to this restaurant when visiting Chester

1  Thank Unitedkingdom4
Reviewed 9 August 2014

I've eaten in many Turkish eateries and i've had a fair few Iskender Kebabs but the one i had at Cafe Istanbul topped them all. Iskender Efendi who invented the 'Iskender' kebab would have been proud. The most succulent and tender lamb, chicken and a generous helping of Adana kebab all smothered in a rich yoghurt and chilli sauce. The pilaf and salad were well seasoned and generous in portion aswell. Our starters of borek and sujuk were ample and tasty and we should have taken the advice of the friendly waiter who said be careful of ordereing starters if you intend to take on the Iskender. He was right but i thought it was very honest of him to suggest forgoing starters. Not many waiters would have done that.

1  Thank princecharming77
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

First time visit to this restaurant after many friends raved about it and we were not disappointed. The restaurant was spotless, the staff were attentive and very friendly and the food was amazing! We had chicken and lamb kebabs and they were freshly cooked over coals and they tasted amazing! If you are in Chester make sure you visit!

Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

We recently had a meal here for my birthday and my partner and I were blown away by the quality of the food, we both had the Iskender which was one of the best meals we've ever had, the staff were very efficient and friendly and couldn't do enough for you, this is a gem of a place and I urge anyone to give it a try, you won't be disappointed.