“Traditional tapas & great service”
Review of Porta

Porta
Ranked #18 of 555 Restaurants in Chester
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Drinks, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Chester
“Traditional tapas & great service”
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

Always such a pleasure visiting Porta- the dishes are authentic and well prepared and reasonable prices. I've visited lots of tapas bars in Andalucia over the years and Porta can rival many of those. The waitresses are always very friendly and attentive and the place just has a relaxed feel about it.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Lu123

Chester, United Kingdom
“Do they even know what patatas bravas are??”
Reviewed 8 May 2014

If you're looking to eat real, authentic Spanish tapas then this is definitely NOT the place to go. I'm really unsure as to why so many people have raved about this place when all in all my experience was pretty poor. Don't get me wrong, the little bar is beautiful and cosy and the staff are all very friendly but for me it was the food that let them down. I am obsessed with tapas. I love them. So when I orded a few dishes off of their limited menu I was expecting big things. However, I was very disappointed. If you type in 'patatas bravas' into google images you'll see that they are crisp potatoes smothered in a beautiful tomatoey sauce and not Aunt Bessie's roast potatoes drizzled with a creamy but pretty tasteless soup-like sauce. I was also disappointed with the paprika chicken wings that had me worried as they were a little on the pink side. However, I can say that the ox cheek was actually very delicious and I'd definitely have it again. For what they gave us, the food was a little expensive and like I said there was not much choice. Overall I'm sad because I had such high expectations for this cute little bar but in the end I left hungry and unsatisfied.

• Visited May 2014
3 Thank Holly T
“Best tapas in Chester”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

LOVE Porta. Have been twice now and every dish I've ordered has been really authentic and tasty. Love the serving style- when it's ready it is brought to the table. Really love the wine too. Best tortilla I've ever had!

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Rachael0518
“A real treat”
Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

This is a great night out. Limited menu but all freshly cooked and authentic. I don't think you can fault them for a great casual night out chatting , eating and drinking. It's a winner

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

What a wonderful idea! We had not booked anywhere to eat so had just been wandering around enjoying chester when we stumbled across this place. Delicious food, friendly staff, a wonderfully casual ambience. I would recommend this to everyone who visits Chester. Amazing tapas!

• Visited May 2014