“Attention to detail makes it extra special” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Edgar House
Ranked #1 of 45 Hotels in Chester
London, United Kingdom
“Attention to detail makes it extra special”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2013

I had to go to a Christening in Liverpool on a Sunday and needed to stay somewhere the night before. I wanted to try out Chester as I'd heard it was a beautiful Roman town and had never explored it.

I love boutique hotels and decided to treat myself. I booked Edgar House on the recommendation of a friend and was not disappointed!

The house is an impeccably restored Georgian (i think) building sitting right on top of the Roman wall that surrounds the old city of Chester. Overlooking the river and a weir - the view from my room which was on a corner was just magical. I loved the sound of the water and there were swans bobbing serenely.

The location and building itself are impressive but the little details are what make this B&B really stand out as well as the warm welcome from the hosts.

It was a freezing day (several inches of snow) when I arrived (I took a cab from the train station which was about 15 minutes) but the house was really warm and cozy with a roaring fire in the lounge. I was greeted with a glass of bubbly and shown to my room. I cannot bear to be cold and the room was so warm, no drafts and the biggest bed I have ever seen (both high and wide). The little details really enhanced the experience for example the light switches which have a logical order to them and can be reached from the bed - including low-level mood lighting (a must in my opinion - especially if this is a romantic getaway). On that note, I can't think of a better destination for romance! On a more practical note, there were loads of sockets in the room for my phone, ipad, camera and everything else I am always needing to charge. I loved that and it felt like everything had been thought through really carefully.

Although it was horribly cold, I did have a little look at the town and there is a lovely walk you can do all the way around the roman wall and back to the B&B (to get warm)!

I really can't recommend Edgar House highly enough. My favourite thing was the vintage gramaphone in the lounge with a stack of 78's from the 1920's/'30's which I was allowed to play (I am not sure I should mention this in case it is not usually allowed for guests but that is part of the point - I was made to feel really special!). I will definitely come back here for a romantic getaway!

Room Tip: Ask when you book as each room has individual merits (view, balcony, copper bath!).
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Michael S, Owner at Edgar House, responded to this review, 1 April 2013
Dear EM669

Tim and I remember your stay very much - the snow was ridiculous wasn't it? Very glad you made it through to stay with us and back home again safely.

We hope you can come back soon - though perhaps when it's warmer so you can properly enjoy the balcony!

Best wishes,
Mike.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Lincoln, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2013

Our stay at Edgar House was sheer luxury. We were looking for a relaxing few days away and were certainly not disappointed. Excellently situated by the river side and next to the city wall, Edgar House is very central to the many attractions of Chester.

We stayed in the Junior Suite where we had our own sitting room with sofa, desk and TV. There was another television in the bedroom, which also conatined a copper bath. The bathroom was amazing with his and hers sinks, wet room and underfloor heating.

There were lots of "added extras", including an honesty bar inside a telephone box and a cinema room where we could sit and watch a film.

The whole house was beautifully and tastefully furnished with no expense spared and the warmth of the hospitality made us feel very special.

Edgar House must be experienced to be believed!
Y2XG38F

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Michael S, Owner at Edgar House, responded to this review, 25 March 2013
Hello, and I hope you managed to get home to Lincoln without problems through this awful snow! Thank you so much for choosing to stay at Edgar House, and thanks too for your lovely review, it was very kind of you.
I hope we can welcome you back to Edgar House soon - though if you'd like to wait for the better weather first, then you might like to sit in the garden to enjoy the river, rather than just from the comfort of your bedroom.
Best wishes,
Mike and Tim
Stamford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2013

Just stayed at newly opened Edgar House, what a wonderful find. We were met by Mike, one of the owners, and treated to a glass of Prosecco. Mike had upgraded us to a fantastic room with our own balcony overlooking the river and it had one of the best bathrooms I had ever seen with lovely bath and a walk in shower with the biggest shower head ever! The underfloor heating, bliss. Our bed was high and so comfortable. The welcome Brownies were a lovely touch. Downstairs, the Honesty Bar inside a phone box was really quirky. The lounge with it's roaring fire was a great place for pre-dinner drinks. Mike gave us a choice of places to eat and was kind enough to make the booking for us. He also suggested watching a film later in the Cinema Room which was a great idea. never stayed anywhere with one of those before and they can supply popcorn and ice-cream! Breakfast was really good. We had the offer of breakfast in our bedroom or in the Library, we chose the Library and had a full Edgar [ like a full English but without the Black Pudding] and a Healthy Edgar [ Fruit, Yoghurt and home made
Genola] both delicious. Mike gave us ideas for places to visit which included the choice of shops! Chester is a beautiful city to browse in. When we checked out, we were given a gift-bag of Moulton Brown goodies. The service and attentiveness of owners Mike and Tim was second to none. We loved it and will be back... F3TX76A

Room Tip: All the rooms are large and comfortable but very different and all have big comfortable settees and...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank moraira2_13
Michael S, Owner at Edgar House, responded to this review, 20 March 2013
Dear Moraira2_13
Thank you so much for giving us great feedback and for using the feedback code we gave you. We're thrilled that you enjoyed such a great stay with us, and that you enjoyed Chester.

We do hope you can come and stay again soon - perhaps to enjoy the races next time ?

With best wishes,
Tim and Mike.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2013

I believe Edgar House has just opened. I needed to be in Chester for a wedding but knew nothing of the area. This delightful place really won me over from the moment I arrived. As it was the first week and not full I was able to be nosy and have a look in most of the rooms. They are all different but all have something very special.... from balconies overlooking the river, to a stand alone copper bath in one!
The bedrooms are huge with wonderful views of the river, underfloor heating in the bathrooms, the most comfortable bed I've probably ever stayed in (apart from my own), open fires, lots of interesting design touches, no problem was too annoying for the hosts Tim and Mike.
All in all a very pleasureable and relaxing stay. I would definitely return.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Joanna B
Michael S, Owner at Edgar House, responded to this review, 20 March 2013
Dear Joanna B
Sincere thanks for your review. We love to get feedback, and especially love the 'glowing' reviews like yours! We ourselves remember you and your visit, and you obviously got back to London OK.
Thanks again so much for choosing to stay with us and especially for taking time out to write such a great review, and we hope you'll be able to come visit us in Chester again soon.
Best wishes