“Disappointing visit...”

Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Chester, United Kingdom
“Disappointing visit...”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I have visited The Oaklands lots of times in the past and usually I'm happy with everything however, after visiting on Friday night I was left really disappointed.
To be fair, we ordered food 15 minutes before the kitchen closed - leaving it quite late - but that shouldn't change the quality of the food served.
I ordered the sizzling chicken skewers with piri piri sauce (one of my favourite dishes) and my partner ordered the Bandito burger after i had recommended it to him... Usually my sizzling skewers come out from the kitchen still sizzling - hence the name, but this time they were served looking like they had been sat there for hours under a heater... There was way too much piri piri sauce as well, it to ally overpowered the chicken, so much so that i couldn't eat it as it was too spicy.
My partners food came and looked like it had been thrown on the plate, the burger was all over the plate and not in a tower, the chips were soggy and there was no side salad....
Nobody came to ask if our food was ok so when they came to clear the plates i explained that i had to leave 80% of my meal as there was far too much spicy sauce. She didn't seem interested and just said "do you want a drink of water?"
Overall we were really disappointed in The Oaklands this time, we will return to give them another chance but i definitely wouldn't recommend eating there later on in the evening.

• Visited July 2014

Wigan, United Kingdom
“Family meal”
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

After a lovely day out around Chester we decided to go and try the Oak lands for lunch before heading home. We were not disappointed.
It was around 1pm when we got there, and it was quite busy. The bar man and manager on duty did not stop the whole time we were there.
Evan though they were busy they were very polite and helpful. The manager explained we got a free starter or dessert with certain dishes, which was a nice surprise as we had missed that on the menu.
Our meals came out quickly and were piping hot, and they were very tasty.
The pub it's self was clean and appealing, the booths with the TVs in are a great extra especially when you have children. My two year old loved it and it kept her quiet and occupied while we was there.
I will definitely go back to the Oak lands next time I am in Chester.

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
“July 2014”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Great place if you have children. The 'kids eat for £1' offer are worth trying. The food is excellent value for money as are the beer prices. The beer selection is good. All round a great family pub/restaurant

2 Thank Chris H
“Fantastic night”
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

Just thought I'd leave a review to thank the oaklands for what can only be described as a fantastic night. Great food, excellent service and thoroughly enjoyed the speed quiz. Woul highly recommend this to everyone

3 Thank Jo S
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Great food”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Called in for a meal recently while visiting chester. Food is good standard pub grub, good value but football everywhere was a little off putting.

1 Thank Julie M