“the blue bell”

Cuisines: International, Bar, Grill
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 20 February 2014

returned to the blue bell for a fantastic valentines meal. both went for the set meal menu great food and good value nice touch at the end.a member of staff came running after us to give my girlfriend a red rose.great night

Reviewed 20 February 2014

Visited with my girlfriend on valentines, we were treated to the 5 course tapas menu of which the food was all fantastic, we didn't feel like we were waiting too long for our food an when it arrived we enjoyed every mouthful! A great resteraunt for valentines and I look forward to trying it on a regular day!

Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

I'm very surprised this has scored so highly to be in the top 10 restaurants in Chester. We visited on Saturday and felt the food was just average and the service far too long, yes it was busy but a kitchen should be prepared for Saturday of valentines weekend.
My husband was very happy with his steak although the chips were undercooked and he didn't get the sauce he ordered. At the end he raised with the waitress that she didn't tell him there was an extra charge for the sauce when she offered it, she just shrugged her shoulders.
We waited almost 30 minutes for our starter which was a less than half full dish of runny guacamole with 3 soggy, greasy tortillas. A further 20 or so minutes for mains. My tapas was straight out of a pack into a frier microwave, sauces could have been made in house but the dishes had been sitting under hot lamps for so long any flavour was long gone. I found my tapas far too greasy and it sat heavy on my stomach well into the next day. The wine was also warm although we should have raised this to give them a chance to rectify so can't be too harsh on them for that.

It's a lovely building, exciting looking menu, pleasant staff who were apologetic for the delay but there are many places in Chester serving better quality food.

1  Thank spud723
Christopher C, Owner at El Gato Negro At The Blue Bell, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Hi Spud723
Thank you for your review,it really does help when a critical review is detailed as we look at where we failed to deliver and why.I appreciate you noting you should have mentioned this to us in order that would could rectify it as this is exactly what we would do.
Firstly I am glad your husband enjoyed his steak but I am as disappointed as you that your tapas was not to your satisfaction.
You mention the sauces so I am guessing you might have had patas bravas or meatballs?
All our food is freshly prepared,potatoes are peeled and diced daily and meatballs are made by our chefs as are the sauces,as you rightly say.
Nothing is left to stand under a heat lamp as our serving staff constantly hound our kitchen to get the food out as soon as they can.
I apologise your husband's chips were undercooked but had you have told us we would have put this right immediately for you.
Our waiting on staff are trained to always check back to see how our customer's food is.
You say your husband didn't get the sauce he ordered ,I am really surprised that the waitress didn't take the cost of the sauce off your bill.I am so sorry and puzzled as to why she didn't do so immediately!
I do remember your table and the fact you had to wait as your waitress did ask if she could offer you complimentary drinks which I am happy you accepted.
Sorry you had a disappointing dining experience with us, we are constantly refining our services as we grow and our chefs and your waitress have received your feedback. Please contact me for a refund.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

Came here for Valentines after reading the great reviews. We were not disappointed the food was delicious and I especially loved the champagne and strawberry cheese cake! In fact we liked it so much we went again for Sunday lunch.The beef melted in my mouth, only suggestion to improve would be to serve the gravy separately.We will certainly revisit next time we are in the area.Highly recommend !

Reviewed 18 February 2014

Had our Sunday lunch there and all I can say is that it was average and not worth the money, won't be back. They need to up their game if they want to compete with other restaurants in the vicinity.

5  Thank EnglandHolidays
Christopher C, Owner at El Gato Negro At The Blue Bell, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Thank you for posting your feedback on TA.Feedback is so important to help us improve our services.If we know the reason behind the complaint we can endeavour to put it right but your review fails to give us an insight into why "Average says it all". It is a shame you didn't mention this to us on the day ,we received several comments from happy customers on Sunday so in order for us to understand perhaps you might consider calling the restaurant to discuss? This would be much appreciated as without details we cannot address the issue.Many thanks