“Home from home”
Review of The Mill Hotel

The Mill Hotel
Ranked #12 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed 26 January 2013

This hotel is my 'home from home' when in Chester. I have recommended it before on Tripadvisor and have had several stays since then, all up to standard.

This time I received service above the call of duty when I arrived with a suitcase minus its handle, thanks to British Airways. Two repair shops in town couldn't make a simple 'get me home' repair by putting on a temporary handle (all it needed was a drill and a piece of cord or cable.) When I mentioned this to the ever friendly and helpful reception team they had it whisked off to their workshop and 15 minutes later I had it back with a very professional looking and sturdy handle bolted on to it - far better than expected. Not only this, but the gentleman who did this wouldn't accept anything in return.

Outstanding service, but that is the hallmark of this hotel, along with comfortable rooms, great location, and excellent food. As always, I look forward to, and have already booked, my next stay there.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,583)

Reviewed 25 January 2013

Stayed here for two weeks, initially was put in a tiny twin and when I asked to be moved as staying so long, the staff moved me to a large family room, which had a decent sized bathroom with separate shower. The was a problem with the fire alarm system, which had gone off six times in ten days. All well and good, however, when there was an actual fire, no one paid any notice!!! The fire was right below my room and the staff asked me if I wanted to move to the new wing. My only complaint was that the window was frosted (I'm guessing this may be a planning stipulation) however, it would be nice to be able to see the weather before leaving the room! Nice hotel, good location, would stay again.

Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed 23 January 2013

We booked a two night champagne break but ended up going one night earlier to avoid the snow and I'm glad we did or we would have cancelled and missed a lovely weekend. We chose to upgrade to a better room and it was lovely,everything including robe and slippers supplied, tea, coffee, milk and biscuits. The spa is small but great for relaxing after a bit of shopping in the snow. Friday night was a 'dine and dance' evening, 3 course meal which was not gourmet but certainly ok and very edible, with a singer to entertain during the meal followed by a disco until late. We dressed up and had a great evening! Breakfasts were nice, could have done with a little more fresh fruit, there was only melon slices. But the hot stuff was replenished frequently and the plates were nice and hot too. Chester is a lovely place for shopping so I'm sure we'll be going back, and we'd definitely stay at the Mill again!

Room Tip: Definitely go for the deluxe rooms if you can, they're huge and very comfortable. Rooms on the S...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 January 2013

Just writing this makes me want to go there. Its a warm, friendly, cosy hotel in a simply perfect location for a Chester break. With the spa and the canal and the gym, and short walk to town, It just could not be better. Free WiFi is a BIG attraction for me. Very reasonably priced room service is another. This is the hotel to choose in Chester.

Room Tip: I like paying for a larger room, and try to be away from the lifts and corridor doors.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 January 2013

This is the 2nd time I've stayed here, the first time was in a basic room that I was't impressed by. This time paid £80 through a corporate booking to get a business room - mmm..... their idea of business room and mine is a bit different, what on earth are the frosted windows in the room about? Even if there is no view I want to see out! My original room was next to the lift and was noisy so the reception staff were good about moving me. Unfortunately the room I went to next was across the canal next to the main road and was subject to lots of traffic noise until late at night. And someone had set the alarm to go off for midnight - thanks last guest! The room was okay but the bath had some nice black mould around the edge.
Breakfast was nothing special but the basics were all there. Had the excitement of a fire in the laundry room as we left.

Room Tip: avoid one near the main road.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank tonyotter
Reviewed 18 January 2013

Stayed here for one night and really cannot fault it, service was good, room was excellent, not to sure I would want one over looking the busy main rd tho,
Good value for money considering its location,
Can,t wait to go back to try their restaurant on the canal.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 January 2013

Stayed here for 1 night in January. Reception staff were most welcoming and we received a free upgrade without asking. Most impressed with the breakfast and the friendliness of the staff and people staying. The real ale bar had a good selection of beers and drinks in general. We didnt have time to use the spa & leisure facilities but will do next time as we are definitely returning. This is very handy for the shops and pubs.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple