“Weekend break”

Ranked #12 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Weekend break”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2013

Stayed for 3 nights in a business room. Room a little dated but comfortable, bathroom small and no room to put personal toiletries. Had to ask for extra towels on second night as housekeeping had only left one set.
Great location, easy reach of town. Free parking unlike other hotels we considered in the same area.
Lovely hotel bar, which was more like a local pub than a sterile hotel bar, my boyfriend was impressed with the real ales, and choice of real cider for me.
Breakfast was a little dry and I've had better, disappointed no mushrooms on offer! On Saturday night a note was pushed through the door suggesting that as the breakfast room was likely to be busy between 9 and 10 that we come down earlier, on a Sunday, I don't think so!! Why not just extend the breakfast hours?
Delicious meal in the canelleto restaurant, couldn't fault this.
Nice pool and spa.
I don't agree with the really negative reviews of this hotel, yes it has a couple of down points but nothing to make me give a bad review and I would stay here again if visiting Chester.

Room Tip: Upgrade to get a bigger bathroom.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (381)
Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2013

We stayed for 2 nights at the hotel on a January Champagne break which included dinner on the first night & a bottle of champagne in our room & thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. I had chosen an upgrade to a premier room which was very modern & clean with a jacuzzi bath and a balcony overlooking the canal. I would recommend rooms overlooking the canal as they are much quieter than those close to the busy road. The food in the restaurant was delicious and the pool area very attractive. Would love to go back to have a meal on the canal barge.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking canal are quieter
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Miedzyrzecz, Poland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 4 nights alone for work, and chose this hotel over the cheaper Premier Inn and Travelodge which I usually stay in because of its location and the fact that it had parking and a restaurant.

I was expecting far more for the price I paid, around 80 a night for a basic room. The room I was given was small, dirty and smelt funny. I was disgusted to see pubic hairs left inside the bath, brown stains in the toilet, and a horrible damp smell coming from the towels. The walls were paper thin, and I could hear the people either side talking, going to the toilet and having sex. I could even make out what they were talking about. The person upstairs insisted on having the TV on all night, and also the continual banging of doors and the lift made getting a decent night's sleep difficult. The room has a wired internet connection (You will need to bring your own cable), and a small TV (Which didn't work). The cleaners never bothered to replace the tea and coffee each day, and they also seemed to skip any hoovering or cleaning the bathroom.

The food was nothing to shout home about. Breakfast was basic, and the staff looked like they didn't want to be there. Who can blame them!. I also tried to get an evening meal in the hotel, but was unable to find a seat, so I had to take my food up to the room, of which I was charged extra money. The food I ordered was tasteless, soggy and looked like it had been cooked in a microwave. I was angry that I hadn't gone out to the surrounding town to eat, and I recommend if you stay here, you eat elsewhere. I would have preferred McDonalds to this.

There are two car parks, one at the front of the hotel which never had any spaces and an overflow car park which is simply a mess. It could certainly do with a resurfacing and tidying up. I was there whilst there was snow, and the car park wasn't gritted and was dangerous.

Are there any benefits of this hotel? The location is good, being right in the centre of Chester, althougth difficult to find without a SatNav. I also found the lady on reception friendly, and she always greeted the guests with a smile.

Maybe I'm too fussy, but I can't understand how this hotel has high reviews, or maybe I was just very unlucky. I found the more basic Premier Inns and Travelodges far superior and will never stay in this hotel again, and would not recommend it to my colleagues in work.

Room Tip: Avoid the basic rooms, or better yet if you don't have the budget for a better room, stay elsewh...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Tony W
Douglas, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2013

The hotel was in an excellent location for the city centre and there was free parking outside. Facilities were very good and the bar was busy every evening and it felt more like a 'local' pub. There was an excellent range of beers for 'the ale drinker'. Rooms were clean and tidy and the pool and gym were great. Staff were friendly and helpful.

Only slight negatives were a broken bedside light and the hotel was that busy that the dining room wasn't big enough to cope with everyone turning up for breakfast around the same time but staff did try and manage this to a satisfactory level.

Overall would stay here again and in fact have booked for later this year to go to Chester Races so looking forward to going back.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2013

We had a two night break at the Mill Hotel which included a meal on the canal barge the first night. The rooms are clean and comfortable, the decor isn't modern but the hotel has a warm atmosphere with excellent customer service. The meals on both nights were really good, the barge meal was fun too. Shame it snowed as we couldn't see much out of the barge but we enjoyed it regardless. Our package included a beauty treatment and mine was a massage. The massage was excellent, the therapist asked if there were any areas that she should concentrate on and she really worked on them. The swimming pool was a decent size and it was good to relax in the sauna after a day of shopping. The location of the hotel is excellent as Chester city centre is a few minutes walk away and Cheshire Oaks a short distance away.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Cape Town is home
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2013

This hotel is my 'home from home' when in Chester. I have recommended it before on Tripadvisor and have had several stays since then, all up to standard.

This time I received service above the call of duty when I arrived with a suitcase minus its handle, thanks to British Airways. Two repair shops in town couldn't make a simple 'get me home' repair by putting on a temporary handle (all it needed was a drill and a piece of cord or cable.) When I mentioned this to the ever friendly and helpful reception team they had it whisked off to their workshop and 15 minutes later I had it back with a very professional looking and sturdy handle bolted on to it - far better than expected. Not only this, but the gentleman who did this wouldn't accept anything in return.

Outstanding service, but that is the hallmark of this hotel, along with comfortable rooms, great location, and excellent food. As always, I look forward to, and have already booked, my next stay there.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for two weeks, initially was put in a tiny twin and when I asked to be moved as staying so long, the staff moved me to a large family room, which had a decent sized bathroom with separate shower. The was a problem with the fire alarm system, which had gone off six times in ten days. All well and good, however, when there was an actual fire, no one paid any notice!!! The fire was right below my room and the staff asked me if I wanted to move to the new wing. My only complaint was that the window was frosted (I'm guessing this may be a planning stipulation) however, it would be nice to be able to see the weather before leaving the room! Nice hotel, good location, would stay again.

Stayed January 2013