“Easter Week”
Review of The Mill Hotel

The Mill Hotel
Ranked #12 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed 2 April 2013

We found no problems, apart from the Tv, had problems getting the stations, but the house keeper came up and solved problem, The room was spotless, as was the bathroom, with a large
bath, nice shower, plenty of hot water.Nice white fluffy towels. We were almost next to the lift, but had no problem with noise, slept well, however the bed was a bit small, only a small double, so was a bit hot, Room was over the canel, nice

Room Tip: We had a room on the 4th floor over the Canal
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 April 2013

This hotel was everything that we had wished for,the room was lovely and warm, the bed was wonderful king size with soft bedding and lovely comfortable pillows. Spa and swimming pool one of the best we have seen in a hotel, everything is spotless , fluffy large towels on arrival, free lockers and friendly staff to welcome you. Gym equipment excellent, never too busy which was great.

The dining room was very good, nice tables, good service and fantastic veggie choice.
We had arranged for family to meet us on Easter Sunday for lunch and needed a wheel chair accommodated, this was not a problem ,staff were attentive there were good disabled facilities
we highly recommend this hotel and intend to return again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 March 2013

My partner and I stayed at this hotel for one night last weekend while some work was being done on our house. We were also celebrating some good news and so thought we would splurge a little. We arrived about 15 minutes before our stated arrival time and were given the keys to our room--which was great. The room itself, however, was unimpressive. While I don't object to the size, there were a number of problems that I would not expect to encounter in a hotel at this price point. BBC channels did not come up on the television. The advertised Egyptian cotton sheets apparently only applied to the duvet cover as the bottom sheet and pillow cases were of a lower quality. The coffee and tea facilities provided were adequate, but nothing special as were the toiletries. The gaffa tape decorating the bathroom mirror was a nice touch in an already crowded bathroom with a light that clearly needed a new bulb as it flickered almost continuously. The shower was barely high enough for me (of average height) to stand under, the temperature and pressure inconsistent and the bath was small, cramped and as another reviewer has pointed out, crammed in behind the door. We ran out of loo roll by morning as the dispenser hadn't been topped up. Honestly, I would have tolerated 1 or 2 of these things, but all of them together would have moved my review down to a "good". So, what makes it poor? The noise. Only moderate voice levels in the corridor carried loudly, and the noise is so poorly insulated that I could hear the light switch flicking on in the next room. The television, was obviously, more of a problem. As a result we both got very little sleep due to other guests coming and going--not the fault of the guests, but surely something the hotel can attempt to moderate, even if only through installing quiet closing doors and sound insulation between rooms.

The facilities were somewhat better, with a nice steam room, nice changing facilities, a clean pool and jacuzzi and friendly gym staff. The bar was also nice with a good selection of ales, including stouts ad reasonable prices. The location is amenable to those travelling by train/foot and the breakfast was actually pleasant with fresh tea/coffee and toast brought to the table, and a self-service hot buffet and cold buffet. Of course, the notice through our door the night before saying that the dining room would be busy the next morning and advising us that although breakfast was served until 10 we should aim to get there before 8 on a Sunday was hardly pleasant-particularly with the poor sleep.

While I was asked on checkout how my stay had been, the lobby was hectic, I was exhausted and it was clear the desk clerk was in a hurry. I missed the question and was kicking myself on the way out for not being more vocal. Although we enjoyed the health club, with both felt a bit disappointed and as if we had wasted our money.

If this hotel had been 30-40 quid cheaper, then this is what I would expect.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kathryn S
Reviewed 25 March 2013

We stayed here for two nights last week end. Our room was on the fifth floor, it was compact with a double bed, good flat screen television and tea and coffee making facilities. The bathroom was very small with a toilet squashed in behind the door. The shower was over the bath with very poor power and having long hair, I struggled to rinse it. The bed seemed to be very small and was not the most comfortable bed I have slept in. On the plus side, the staff were very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was good and the evening meal was exquisite, one of the best meals I have had and certainly top class especially for a hotel.
The bar downstairs is very noisy and busy so we took our drinks into the residents lounge, pity there wasn't a bar in there as we had to go downstairs to the bar every time we needed more drinks.
There was a disco on on the Saturday night after the dinner which was very good playing lots of good old music!
I would definitely stay at The Mill again but would book a better room. At the time of booking I was not aware that there were different room grades and we just happened to get the basic which as I said was not too good.
There is a spa here which is free for hotel guests to use.
There is a good atmosphere in this hotel and would reccommend it to anyone providing they book one of the better rooms.

Room Tip: Do not get one of the basic rooms. Ask for a room overlooking the canal.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 March 2013 via mobile

I must start by saying that we would consider staying here again as the hotel offered a great location for our long weekend to explore the lovely chester.

We had a few niggles that weren't big enough to spoil the stay but cumulatively brought the overall impression down

We did have a great stay in chester despite the almost non stop rain; highlights include chester zoo, a walk round the city walls, a great meal at the brewery tap and some leisurely pints at the very nearby old harkers arms.

I'll start with positives
Great location & free parking
We had a large room, comfortable bed
Tv, tea, coffee biscuits etc
Great bar with local ales and open late (we had no noise disturbance as other side of the hotel)
Decent spread at breakfast
All staff very friendly even ensuring they posted a forgotten item of clothing (£5 charge)
Unfortunately didn't get to use spa as forgot swimwear, but looked good

Some of the niggles
Breakfast room extremely hot, despite it being near freezing outside and fans blasting out
Decor is very tired and could do with a revamp
We had a blocked bath so didn't drain whilst showering
Poor quality toiletries; the shampoo provided was so watery
Plug sockets were temperamental; both my partner and I had different sockets where one night it charged our mobile fine and the next didn't (yes, checked switched on, just didn't work!)
Despite playing around with the radiator there were times it got far too hot in the room
Was a stain on the sheet

To be fair, we didn't raise these things and I'm sure the staff would have done their utmost, but each little thing felt a bit moany, it's only upon reflection that they add up. We did pay £85 a night so it's not a completely budget hotel and perhaps expected a bit more.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed 24 March 2013

We checked in on 21st for a three night much needed break. Reception was quick and much to our disappointment were allocated 310 this was a very small shabby double with a low ceiling beam that my 6ft husband had to duck under also you had to walk sideways to get past the bottom of the bed! We requested an alternative room and were changed to room 432 which was over the bridge in the newer part without any hesitation by reception. This room was much bigger with a king size bed a lot cleaner and had a view over the canal...and for no extra charge! We had dinner in the restaurant on Thursday night that was advertised as 14 pounds ..but be aware this is for two courses only anything extra is charged. To be honest the food was good
and the service quick I felt a bit rushed but they will slow it down if you ask. The rooms as on previous review s very hot we slept with the radiator off and Windows open. Breakfast is quite good but repetative same items every day but hot and quite well cooked.We had a bar meal on the Friday very good ...the food comes from the same kitchen and the atmosphere there is busy and relaxing.These meals are good value .sandwiches good too! The hotel is very well placed for visiting Chester a few minutes walk and you're in the town...the spa looked very nice but we didn't use it during our stay so l can't comment. Dinner dance on Saturday ....food good but be aware this is actually a disco that starts at 10 pm and goes on till late not really a dinner dance in all senses of the word!

Overall this hotel is well located but needs updating and some staff slightly indifferent when problems brought to their attention....one last thing check your bill carefully before you pay for mistakes....

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed 23 March 2013

For a twin room 401 is perfect,no banging doors,completely restfull night which I find hard to achieve nowadays,although overlooking both canal and dual carriageway the only noise is with the window open.Excellent WiFi,skype no problems,ironing facilities,tea & coffee, hair dryer ,bigger than average tv,nice desk and two chairs ,full bathroom and shower over bath,not the poky stuffed in corner addon as in many hotels today.The only very slight niggle is the squeky floor which I hope doesn,t annoy the people below.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends