“A little treasure”

Ranked #14 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Newport Pagnell, United Kingdom
“A little treasure”
Reviewed 31 August 2013

We have stayed at the Mill Hotel and Spa several times, mostly when we go to Chester races but also for weekends away and have now booked to go close to Christmas to see Chester lights and enjoy more of the Mlll Hotels' disco entertainment and good old fashioned customer service. We enjoy dancing the night away to great music after a lovely meal with very reasonably priced drinks and the extra add on of bacon baps brought round at midnight for free is a very well thought out customer satisfaction winner. Who doesn't enjoy a crispy bacon roll after an enjoyable evening of fun? DH Bucks

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2013

The hotel car park was excellent, we managed to park outside the hotel but there is excellent parking facilities. the location is excellent and very pretty with the town centre in walking distance. the hotel itself is very clean and welcoming. the reception staff were excellent, friendly and very good at checking in the guests in despite the volume. the room was fine, it was only a standard room and yes the bath was small and narrow so if you are over 6 foot (as my husband is) you would be a little cramped. the food was amazing both in the restaurant and on the canal boat. you must book dinner on the canal boat that is a must and do it early in the day as numbers are restricted. the staff in general are excellent they are really welcoming nothing is to much trouble. we missed the opportunity of afternoon tea, this again you need to do before 4.00pm realistically as they don't have chefs available to put it together but the staff were more than happy to provide us with a toastie. we stayed for a couple of days at the hotel and will certainly stay again if we go to chester as this was a great hotel. we didn't use the spa facilities because we stayed over the bank holiday and the swimming pool was being used by the children.

2 Thank jagsandsmelly
wolverhampton
Reviewed 29 August 2013

The Mill Hotel has Dinner Dances Friday and Saturday a fantastic singer on Friday in the back ground while you are dinning it is a lovely dinning experience.We had a meal on their own cruise boat on Saturday silver service waiting even on the boat.The spa and swimming pool and treatment rooms really make you feel special.The way you are made to feel good is what you need for that well deserved break.We love the place and keep going back year after year.Exellent location park the car on their car park a short stroll and you are in the city centre.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a canal view room
Evesham Worcs
Reviewed 28 August 2013

If you want to explore the beautiful city of Chester then you can't go wrong with this hotel. Excellent location, just a 10 minute walk from the heart of the town. Sitting on the banks of the canal, with its own cruise boat the setting is quite special. We paid extra for a club room which was more spacious with a large seating area and king size bed which was lovely and comfy with fluffy pillows and soft duvet. The bathroom was a bit dated with a shower over the bath and curtain to keep the water in. I found this a bit tricky plus the controls were all a bit stiff so not easy to get the temperature right or keep the floor dry. However, both room and bathroom were very clean. The windows are small but this is part of an old mill so in keeping with the original building. Wifi was free plus lots of TV channels ( Sky) for those who want them. The breakfast was good, usual English fry up plus some cereals and fruit. Not a huge choice but all very acceptable. Good tea, coffee and fruit juice. We actually had two evening meals there because the food was great, the service great the drinks reasonably priced and a set two course meal around £15 which we thought good value. I used the spa pool which opened from 6.30am so it was a real treat to catch a swim before breakfast. All the staff were very hardworking and helpful. I would certainly recommend this hotel and would definitely return.

Room Tip: I asked for a high quiet room with a lovely view as I had read that some rooms look onto the road wh...
Ashington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2013

stayed with my wife for 4 nights this hotel was very central the food was excellent and the room was very clean. The hotel had a spa gym and swimming pool, Breakfast was spot on and the prices at the bar were very good. The staff were very helpfull all in all a good hotel in a prime location.

Room Tip: If you are going to the zoo take the bus from the rail station £2 return and a five min walk from th...
1 Thank Mel C
Reviewed 28 August 2013

I booked the Mill hotel for a night away with my partner on a bank holiday weekend. The receptionist suggested I pay a little extra for a business class room as the only standard room left available was situated over the bar and could get quite noisy so I opted for the business class room, on arrival I checked in and after ten minutes of searching the hotel to find my room as not pointed even in which direction it was I was slightly confused after looking at the website gallery I thought they had put us in a standard room. Small, dark, dirty( the skirting boards looked like they hadn't been wiped in a good 6 months at least).The carpet could do with do vanish to say the least it was disgustingly stained. The remote didn't work and signal wasn't the best, very crackly! I was told the business rooms were bigger... If this is the bigger or the rooms goodness knows what the others are like I couldn't of swung a cat in there. If you are over 5'8 you have no chance of a bath or shower of that matter as both offer minimal room. So when i wanted to querie the reception to see if in fact they has misplaced us I found that there was no direct number on the room phone to the reception so I had I use my own mobile if there was a direct line it is not noted anywhere in the room. i was advised no that infact i was in the correct room although it doesnt look like the pictures on the gallery they all look different. This room wasnt even up to the standard of the standard class room on the gallery. The breakfast... Could of been a lot better. Only positive both myself and partner could come up with was that the bed was comfortable, for £100 a night i'd of rather checked into a premier inn at least I know there is general cleanliness and you don't feel so bad paying their rates as you get your monies worth. So if your thinking of booking this hotel based on its website let me just inform you that whatever you preview on the gallery is far from what you will receive. Next time I think I might just book with a hotel chain at least then I know what I am getting.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Emilyjayne23
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2013

This Hotel is very well situated for exploring Chester. The City centre is about a 5 minute walk. We had a Club double room in the original building. It was clean and pleasant the only downside was that there was no air conditioning in the room and it was very hot whilst we were there. We would have liked to have dinner on the narrow boat but it was not operating as there were insufficient bookings. We managed to park easily and this was a real bonus as we did not use the car at all during our stay. Breakfast was a buffet style English Breakfast it was fine with cereal, juice, fruit and English Breakfast items, possibly a bigger selection of items would have been good. All in all we would recommend it for a short stay due to the location.