“Good location, friendly staff, lovely room”
Review of The Mill Hotel

The Mill Hotel
Ranked #11 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Good location, friendly staff. Rooms were modern and well equipped, stayed in business class room. Beds comfy, didn't have time to use the leisure facilities, which was a shame, work prevailed. Food was good and service was excellent
Would definitively stay again. Maybe try to get there earlier and see the surroundings as set on the canal, can imagine it would be lovely in summer
Fire alarms going at at 3.30am wasnt good, but not hotels fault
Would stay again

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,530)

Reviewed 20 January 2014

Stayed here with my girlfriend for 2 nights for a short city break. After reading previous reviews and exploring the Hotel's website we were very excited to visit and were completely right to do so! We chose to book over the telephone after confirming to go for a package containing an upgrade to a club room and three course dinner with a bottle of Prosecco on arrival.

On arrival we found plenty of parking spaces and proceeded into reception which seemed spotless and very pleasantly decorated. The room itself was also very clean and furnished with a traditional feel. The bed was extremely comfortable although as it was a memory foam mattress, it did become quite hot at night. No sooner had we put the bags down, there was a knock at the door and our prosecco was delivered in a bucket of ice which was an extremely nice touch! The room was lit with lamps placed around the room which did not bother us but for some it may have been a bit annoying to have to go around and turn them all on individually. My only suggestion (not complaint) would be that the hotel could possibly make a bit more effort with regards to the bathroom, which reminded me more of a budget hotel. The toilet paper came in single sheets and the bath seemed a little bit dated (although it was clean!). Perhaps something that could be improved to increase their star rating?

We took advantage of the hotel spa and pool on two occasions. I had a massage over in the spa which was very professional and reasonably priced. The pool and spa is part of the hotels publicly accessible health section. It was reasonably busy but did not stop us from using the facilities. Again everything was clean and it was a great place to relax and unwind before the evening. Only downside was the Jacuzzi could get busy very quickly so you had to wait your turn but its just one of those things! Our visit to the hotels restaurant was superb. Food was delicious, service was top class and we thoroughly enjoyed the evening. I would recommend to anyone staying that they should sample the Canaletto Restaurant. This was the same for breakfast with a good choice of hot and cold foods and again service was excellent. Finally the real ale bar was definitely a favourite of mine. 10 different ales/ciders to choose from alongside your usual commercial drinks and at a reasonable price compared to other hotel bars.

Overall we were thoroughly impressed with the Mill Hotel and will definitely consider it in the future should we visit Chester again!

Room Tip: We went for the Club room which was an upgrade from the standard. This was plenty big enough and had...
1  Thank paulb5
Reviewed 17 January 2014 via mobile

Super location convenient to city centre, friendly staff, good food in the canelleto, only minus could do with better soundproofing in rooms. Took the dinner cruise which was informative and good value for money.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank dbdixie
Reviewed 16 January 2014

We booked into the mill hotel for four nights but ended up staying for five. We have been staying at the mill hotel for several years and the hotel never fails to please. The hotel is of a fairly good size with great facilities. When we arrived we were upgraded to a business room without asking which was a nice touch. Any preferences you ask for are always met when possible. The hotel has ample free parking which is brilliant bonus. The location of the hotel is a five minute walk into the city centre so there is no need to pay for parking. The pool and spa facilities are great and free to use as a guest of the hotel. A good wifi connection can be found in the bedrooms which again is free of charge unlike other hotels. Overall this hotel is consistent in the quality and service it provides. It is definitely one of the best hotels to book for a short break in Chester.

Room Tip: Choose a Bedroom in the main building of hotel as it is quicker to get too as you don't have to...
2  Thank AndyPandy91
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I booked a Saturday single night stay for my wife's birthday at £85.

The car park was very busy and was a struggle to find a space but I did squeeze between 2 cars that were not exactly parked between the lines!
I booked a standard room but was given a business class room on arrival with a canal view which was nice and they didn't even mention an upgrade.We were a little early for the check in but it was no problem the room was ready and we were in a half hour early.

The room was spacious and furnished to a high standard, very comfortable and spotlessly clean. The bathroom was nice enough and there was piping hot water which is always a bonus.The bed was comfortable. The TV had Sky Sports which is a bonus for us chaps.

In the evening we had decided to eat at a local hostelry but I regret not eating at the hotel restaurant which looked pleasant and the menu looked good and very reasonably priced.

The hotel bar was surprisingly big and they had an excellent choice of drinks- I am a real ale drinker and they have around 8 hand pumps so there was a good choice of ales and at around £3 a pint it was good value by hotel standards. My only gripe was that the barman misheard my order and gave me a pint and a half when I ordered just a pint when I advised him he snatched it and threw it at high velocity down the sink, I took a little offence at the manner in which this was done.

Breakfast was a buffet affair and the food was a good standard plenty for a good plate of full English. I am fussy when it comes to coffee but I thought it was excellent.

I am familiar with Chester as I worked in the city for a good number of years. The hotel is ideally located. There are a number of nice places to eat and drink along the canal and it is only a short stroll into the city centre.

We didn't have chance to use the leisure facilities but they looked good.

All in all we had a faultless stay. All the staff were pleasant, check in and out was easy despite the hotel being very busy in early January. Our room was clean and comfortable. Good value and we would love to visit again sometime,

1  Thank OhWhenTheSaints
Reviewed 13 January 2014

We stayed in January above the spa and pool in a charming room on the 3rd floor with a view of the other half of the hotel across the canal.
The leisure facilities were in good condition and very pleasant, they were very clean and tidy
I had my own ideas as to what we wanted but after speaking with terry in reservations we went with her recommendation and she was totally correct,the room she suggested was as my wife said "cosy" but in no way small. The radiators used for heating the bedroom was a pleasant change from the usual air con that even the best are not quiet
They have a charming public bar selling a good range of real ale and snacks.
We ate in the stake bar and had a good value for money meal
The hotel is close (walking) to the center of Chester
All in all it was good value for money and attended by help-full staff who had good knowledge
of the area

Room Tip: rooms over looking the canal are peacful
1  Thank MEGDOG1
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Stayed over for New Years Eve. We booked this trip late November and it was clearly explained to us upon booking the quality of room we would expect as it was the last one available on the new years eve celebration package. We were allocated a room on the 4th floor of the original building which had a window with frosted glass on the car park side . We asked if anyone cancelled could we be moved and a note was put on our booking. Nobody did cancel, however upon arrival (almost dark) it didn't matter. The room was perfectly adequate. Additional touches included free chocolates, prosecco and a pen, but no sign of the diary others have mentioned! The four course meal with sparkling wine on arrival was on the 5th floor in a newly refurbished dining area and was excellent from start to finish. I had requested a gluten free meal but nobody was aware - again a note on our booking, however I was catered for immediately. The whole experience from our arrival to departure was excellent and we would definitely book again. We have been staying at the Mill for approximately 10 years and it is looking a little tired around the edges and ready for a refurbishment, our room had mildew in some areas - especially around the window area. I would definitely recommend the new year stay, but please - nicer weather on new years day to clear the fluffy head!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple