“Excellent coffee and cake”
Review of Jaunty Goat Coffee

Jaunty Goat Coffee
Ranked #1 of 41 Coffee & Tea in Chester
Price range: US$3 - US$8
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Excellent coffee and cake”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

After reading the reviews on Tripadvisor, I decided to pop into the Jaunty Goat first thing this morning for a coffee. Got there about 9.15 am and ordered a flat white and also a slice of zucchini cake. The coffee was excellent as was the cake, which was a generous slice. I am however not too sure where the zucchini came into play as to me, the cake tasted like a slightly spiced chocolate cake. It was nonetheless lovely and moist with a delicious icing . I also appreciated the little touch of the coffee being served with a small glass of water. I was lucky to get a seat outside as it was a lovely morning. Due to limited space though, there are only two small tables outside. From what I was able to see, the indoor seating arrangement is limited and seemed to be based around a central communal table and high stools - there seemed to be another small bar style seating area towards the rear of the cafe. I didn't notice any individual tables which I would personally prefer as if I am going to stop for a coffee, whether on my own, or with a friend, I like to think part of the experience is to sit down and relax in a comfy chair at a table and with the option to chat openly if I am with somebody else without the fear of somebody else sitting next to me and being able to listen into our private conversation, or to enjoy reading a book whilst having my coffee if I am on my own. I don't want to be perched on a high stool sitting next to strangers and their conversations, or they listening to mine - it just doesn't personally work for me and I feel, takes away from the enjoyment of the whole experience. One last thing that I didn't like from a hygienic perspective was that this morning, the variety of cakes and bakes which were displayed on top of the counter were all uncovered. This makes me very nervous about flies and bluebottles landing on them throughout the day.

I would most certainly recommend the Jaunty Goat for the quality of the coffee and cake which cannot be faulted but I truly wish there were more comfortable seating options available. If I happened to pop by again and was fortunate enough to be able to grab a table outside, I would most definitely stop off for another coffee and try a different type of cake. However, if it mean't sharing a bench sitting on uncomfortable high chairs I am afraid I would pass.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Ladyonhertravels

Thionville, France
“Brill carrot cake”
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

One of the best carrot cakes. Brill coffee. Nice zucchini cake. Great service. Enthusiastic staff. Nice seating area.

Rhyl, United Kingdom
“Perfect place to have a coffee and cake whilst out shopping”
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Visited Jaunty Goat for the first time whilst shopping in Chester on Monday. Spoilt for choice with delicious cakes my son decided on the rocky road. I had a little taste (as it was a no cake day for me ha ha) and it was the best rocky road I've ever tasted. Friendly staff, relaxed atmosphere and delicious coffee. My brother lives in Chester and is a regular here. He's tried most of the cakes and highly recommends the Sticky toffee cake. I will defiantly be revisiting Jaunty Goat next time I'm in Chester.

• Visited July 2014
Chester, United Kingdom
“The Tory Goat!”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

One of a select band of independent coffee options in Chester, the Jaunty Goat is in some ways representative of the city as a whole in its merits and flaws. Its in an attractive location on upper bridge street and the outdoor seating is a definite virtue at this time of year, yet on entering there is a distinct feel that the tropes of an aspiring hipster coffee bar have been repackaged for a provincial conservative crowd. Self aware quirky name? tick. Food served on wonky wooden chopping boards? tick. Surface before substance? An enormous tick!

The interior feels sleek but not particularly welcoming: the stools and high level tables clearly take their cue from continental espresso bars where people get their caffeine hit and leave, but they're certainly not comfortable for relaxing/eating with friends and i'm not convinced such an espresso drinking culture exists in this kind of locality. Likewise the seating by the broad window below street level seems more suited to being seen than watching the street, in keeping with the mildly pretentious aura that pervades this place.

On our 2/3 visits we've tried the velvet cake and chocolate brownies, both admittedly very good. The coffee which is often a key element to these places is good without being spectacular, the flat white had a great texture but the latte wasn't sufficiently hot - i can understand a desire to avoid burning the milk but lukewarm isn't anybody's cup of tea(or coffee!). The staff are polite but disengaged in a kind of public school way, and i'd hazard a guess the owner is male judging from the female staff looking like they've been chosen from a Hollister/A&F commercial!

Ultimately this place is a step up from the chains, and in a city that's still largely conservative with a big and little C i'm sure there's a receptive crowd for what they offer but i personally prefer a more inclusive, warm and comfortable environment to get my caffeine fix!

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank milan k
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Chester's Best Coffee”
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

I was introduced into the whole coffee 'scene' when living in London and was a bit disappointed that when moving home to the North I had to make do with the really bland offerings of the regular high street chain coffee stores. In reality I just stopped going out for coffee.

So I was more than happy a few months ago when I discovered the Jaunty Goat in the town centre. I'd quite happily eat/drink anything they offer and am now a regular visitor to what I think is the best coffee shop in Chester! The Jaunty Goat doesn't offer as many roasts or varieties of coffee as the bigger coffee houses I have visited, but for what it does do it holds it's own against the coffee stores of London/Bath. Ed and all of his staff are really friendly and welcoming. I couldn't recommend highly enough. PS I recommend the Dual Bar BarCake (it will make sense at the till what one is).

1 Thank Daniel O