We booked the Chester Brooklands based on the fact that the previous reviews were good and the location was ideal for us on our short trip to the UK. Rooms on the website looked on the biggish side so we decided to stay for a couple of nights which fell over the race weekend.
I've always been a big believer in making a good first impression and unfortunately my first impression of the Chester Brooklands was far from good. We were greeted by two managers (I believe Mark & his wife) who seemed like the last thing they wanted to do was to greet guests - add this onto the fact that we had just flown for 16 hours and you start to get a picture of what it was like. We were handed a key, nothing was explained (i.e. breakfast ordering system)and I then had to carry two heavy cases up the stairs to our room with not even an offer of help. After reading the other reviews it seems as if we might have caught the management on a bad day but even so I don't think there can be any excuses for this type of behaviour.
The room was clean with a nice bathroom with two big windows that opened to let in a lovely cool breeze. However, the shower needs to be upgraded - 80's style plastic unit that dribbles out scolding hot water is far from ideal. I stayed in a travelodge in London for business this week that put the brooklands to shame on this front.
The bed looked gorgeous but on closer inspection two beds had actually been pushed together - this inevitably left a huge ridge in the bed which was not very nice to sleep on. Surely a double room should have a 'real' double bed in?
Once we had worked out the breakfast system I must say that I was pleasantly surprised with the speed of service and quality of the food. The young lady serving the food was also very polite and efficient - a marked improvement on the earlier experience.
On leaving the hotel the landlord did apologise for his initial greeting (presumably after our complaint) but by this stage it was too little too late.
Definitely more negatives than positives for the Chester Brooklands and at £250 for two nights I can help feel that our money would have been spent better elsewhere. 100% will not be staying here again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We are a small 4 bedroomed B&B in Chester. We offer free car parking and free super fast wifi. You will find us very peaceful and a good place to unwind. All rooms are at the rear of the property. We have an abundance of restaurants and bars all within 5 minutes walk. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, LateRooms, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Chester Brooklands Bed and Breakfast reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Chester Brooklands b&b
- Chester Brooklands Hotel Chester
- Chester Brooklands Bed And Breakfast Cheshire