“No problems”
Review of Stafford Hotel

Stafford Hotel
Ranked #44 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed 29 November 2012

We had five rooms booked for the saturday night,which turned out to be on the ground or first floor.Staff were friendly and rooms well prepared.There was a few small niggles, odd light bulb not working,odd cobweb but nothing major as others have reported.Less than five minute walk from the train station and theres a couple of pay and display car parks close by on city road.Walk out of the hotel to your right and youl find a couple of nice pubs by the canal.A taxi to the centre should set you back about £3.Continental breakfast wasn't very exciting,with food tubs constantly been filled up, but all in all £55 a room in historic Chester isn't bad at all.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 12 November 2012

Sub standard ,dirty ,un professionalhotel.on arriving for an overnight stay we were told they had overbooked and wasn't a room for us.much to our disgust as we had booked 2 double rooms on line 2months previous .we were offered the hen sweet to share which consisted of bunk beds and a double bed we we said we would look at considering there weren't really any other options .this room hadn't even been cleaned and to top it off was full of mouldy walls and vomit stained carpets.We decided to pass on this room and complain whilst ringing round for another hotel. The manageress wasn't even on site and said in her words it's not my problem even though it ws her place of work and her staff who made this error, thankfully we managed to get into the travel inn on delamere road which was cheaper cleaner and much more professional . I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone ever .

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Gavin R
Reviewed 12 November 2012 via mobile

After arriving a bit early check in wasn't allowed (which was understandable) so we went shopping arriving back there at 415 To be told they were overbooked and only had one double room available or we could share the "hen suite" as it had 2 rooms (there was 4 of us) after alot of conversation they decided we could have the hen suite and the double (again you think - good compromise) after climbing 3 flights of stairs to the hen suite we opened the door to a further 2 flights!! (no lift available) Once up them the first room was bunk beds (hmm and they had wanted us to share these!) there was damp all up Walls, wires hanging down and 1 light bulb out of three that worked not to mention the previous visitors rubbish all over the floor!! Anyway we moved on to next room which turned out to be in the same state and With no curtains! Our friends room turned out to be in the basement with similar issues and broken,open street level window to add to the insult!! At reception the poor young girl who had been left to deal with us as the manager refused to leave her room and would only talk to us on the phone once (but only on our first complaint of having no room or sharing!)
If you are considering staying in Chester, which is beautiful and we visit every year gor my birthday- yes they ruined this for me! DO NOT STAY AT THE STAFFORD it was an unfunny faulty towers if I was being kind run by children with no idea how to organise a p*** up in a brewery luckily for us the travel lodge came to the rescue with 2 rooms on very short notice that were clean and comfortable & ironically turned out to be cheaper too!! I would send them a complaint letter if I thought it was worth it but quite frankly I don't think they would care and I wouldn't stay there even if it was free!
Can't advise against it enough!!!
The worst thing is we read a few of these reviews and decided to give them a chance thinking people only write on these sites for complaints- we learned the hard way!!

• Stayed: November 2012
3  Thank AndreaGrainger
Reviewed 9 October 2012

I only read the reviews on this hotel a few hours before I was due to check in, "people just like to complain, be positive". my other half said, so here is my positive review:

The bathroom & sheets were clean and the receptionists polite. The receptionist was not lying when she told me twice that porridge was available for my marathon running partners breakfast, she was just mistaken, anyone can make a mistake. It was a good idea to make everyone pay up front on arrival, some people just like to complain & refuse to pay. The ice cream tub on the floor in the reception to catch the leak, wasn't very full.

Room 21: The bath only leaked a little bit when we showered. We didn't actually need the bathroom door to close and lock. I have used a shower that does not hook on the wall a few decades ago when in Greece, the multi tasking & contortions necessary to wash your hair & shower using one like this, did eventually come back to me. The hole in the outside of the bathroom door wasn't very big. Perhaps the plumber had an off day when he tried to fit the bath, there was only a gap between the bath and the wall in one place.

Some people like paint on the top of embossed wallpaper and mocha brown doesn't show the dirt, let's face it not everyone can paint in a straight line. The sunlight streaming through voile type curtains wasn't a problem as it was October and we needed to get up early. Perhaps I was being over cautious in making sure my bare feet did not touch the carpet. Also we could get one channel on the TV, so it's not as if it didn't work. Some people like satin 'effect' throws and cushions on the bed. of course that type of fabric tears easily and cannot be washed for every guest. The bright red cables across the white ceiling to the smoke detectors were an eye catching feature.

The marathon runners were promised breakfast at 7am, although there was no one there at breakfast time, the door from the dining room into the staff kitchen was not locked, so we managed to take cartons of milk and a kettle so that we could make our own instant coffee and have cereal, this had been left out for us along with fruit. We did eventually find the light switches, so we weren't sat in the gloom the whole time. There was only one cupboard door in the dining that was on the floor. At 7.30 am a Scottish lady (the owner??) with muzzed up bed hair and smudged make up under her eyes, did appear. She must have been tired, the poor thing, not her fault we had already helped ourselves. As we had been required to pay on arrival there was not a lot for her to do, she could have gone back to bed really. Could you say a little more about it? - Yes I would hesitate to call the ice cream tub a swimming pool so I won't give the swimming pool a review.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel, any hotel, even a hostel, even a cardboard box by the station, a park bench, j...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Chrissyan
Reviewed 30 September 2012 via mobile

This place is so run down & under staffed that it needs closed down. Shabby furnishings, paper hanging off ceilings, damp smell, burnt out light fitting and so on. Breakfast was a bowl of cereal & some limp processed cheese & ham for toast. Choose another place to stay whatever you do!

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 19 September 2012

Booked this hotel very last minute and only paid something like £30 for new years eve! Was a little worried when I go there as I thought it was going to be awful from the reviews but when me and my friends arrived the woman on the desk was very pleasant and helpful. Our room was lovely to be fair, 2 beds, a big mirror and a nice bathroom! It was also very clean. Great location too. Would stay here again :)

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 September 2012

The Stafford Hotel does not set out to be an up market Hotel.
It is reasonably priced and positioned well for a City break.
The continental breakfast offered more than we imagined, and was replenished as items ran low.
The Hotel itself, is in need of some TLC. The rooms were large, but the standard of house keeping was NOT fantastic. Issues were 2 people, but only one towel & NO soap. These were addressed when brought to the attention of the staff.The reception was not staffed adequately, probably due to insufficient staff. All these negatives, did NOT detract from our stay, but were niggling.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family