“great stay”

Ranked #43 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Liverpool
“great stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2010

we got a warm welcome, given a spotless room, shower , tv, everything spotless and working,After a night out on the beer, one of the staff ordered us a meal from a restaraunt nearby. Can not fault the staff or the hotel, will be going back soon

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
blackpool
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2009

went with 3 friends for a night out in chester, no curtains on one of the bedroom windows! which isnt good getting ready for a night out, advertises satalite tv in rooms we didnt even have a television! - or a radio!! The owner was very standoffish with us, had an attitude problem! Would not recommend or go back.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2009

I stayed at The Stafford Hotel, Chester for one night and wouldn't choose to stay there again. The location of the hotel to the station and city centre couldn't be better but the comfort of the room was very poor. We had a double room in what seemed to be the basement of the hotel. There was a window which looked out on the interior of a garage and the light stayed on all night lighting the room up even with the blind down! The room was noisy, we could hear people talking outside, in adjacent rooms and people walking above us in the kitchen. In the morning there was no hot water to have a shower. Worst of all was the comfort of the bed. Basically we were lying on the springs of the mattress, resulting in a terrible night sleep. Chester is a fantastic city and has a wide range of better if not cheaper accommodation to offer.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jonp1969

Travellers are raving about these Chester hotels

GREENWOOD, S.C.; USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2009

The room and breakfasts were excellent during my 7 night stay, but the owner and her daughter were absolutely the very best when it came to friendliness and being helpful. (1)The daughter did my laundry free of charge on my day of arrival (Saturday)(2) she placed toll calls on their phone for me - no charge. (3) The owner offered to drive me to the County Show and pick me up later (30 miles one way - no charge) when public transportation to it was not available, (4) She odered a taxi for me early one morning when she was busy with breakfast customers and could not drive me herself and , without my knowledge, paid the driver including the tip before we left.

For the entire week they were the nicest most helpful people I ever encountered in my years of travel. If you are looking for a wonderful place to stay in Chester look no further, this is it.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
Wirral
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2009

My wife and I visted Chester to enjoy our wedding anniversary and found this hotel on the internet; if only we had read the reviews before we booked as we were a little down hearted on arrival. The webiste makes the hotel seem very nice and quaint, almost sitting with the images of old Chester. How wrong an image is this, especially as it is next door to the job centre. In a nutshell, this hotel is old, needs updating and it is unclean. Ok, it is only 10 mins walk to town though and I guess you pay for what you get at £65 a night.

We were greeted in an friendly way and offered some advice on the area. When I asked where to park my car, I was told to either to risk a ticket and park outside or pay a premium of £5 a day at the pub 200 yards down the road. There is no car parking at the hotel.

Next was our room. Old stained wallpaper and carpet. Then there was the bathroom, hairs all over the bath. You couldn't miss them, there were so many. I didn't want to spoil it for my wife, so I cleaned the bath quickly, running the water fast to see if there was good pressure, or so I told the wife.

The 4 poster bed was huge but uncomfortable, creaky and awful flat pillows. A poor nights sleep. Hair dryer was broken and danagerous live wiring and the TV was in bad repair and had no remote control.

After a nice day in Chester, we returned to the hotel and went to the bar to find no one present. Finding the owner in the kitchen, I was told to wait as she was cooking tea. Not happy, but no other choice.

Breakfast the next day was ok . We had to ask for things though such as butter and milk and when the owner announced she had no milk as it had gone off and had to send somone to the shop, I just laughed.

In summary. Cheap and cheeful, adequate and functional. Wouldn't go back or recommend, but it sort off added a little fun to our time in Chester.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lumpsta68
telford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2009

we went to this fantastic hotel in july for the chester races, we were greeted on arrival by the hotel manager whom was very polite helpful and professional in fact she could do no more for us. the hotel was in a fantastic location and the staff we very curteous and the hotel was very clean. our room was perfect and suited our needs, breakfast was very nice and presented well, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will be going back very soon for another visit. highly recomended hotel, loved our stay.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple