“beautiful old house,great gardens, great hosts.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chester
Mickle Trafford Manor
Ranked #27 of 79 Chester B&B and Inns
bradford
“beautiful old house,great gardens, great hosts.”
Reviewed 26 July 2010

stayed for a couple of nights 23 and 24 july. spur of the moment thing and was mightily impressed with the service. the room was nice with some nice touches, robes are supplied as well as tea/coffee facilities and a decanter of sherry. as with old houses it is a bit quirky and the floor in our room was suitably wonky!!! breakfast was plentiful with a choice of cereals, fruit, yoghurt, juices and coffee which were there to help yourself to then in addition there was the full english or a choice of cooked breakfast of your choice.
a nice basket of toast and jams will just about finish the brekkie off nicely.
as mentioned in other reviews there is an honesty bar, in the form of a fridge stocked with wines and beers (in the same room used for breakfast) , just place your money in the box. there is a nice lounge with plenty of sofas and a selection of books.
the gardens are very pleasant with various places to sit and relax. a large lawned area and patio areas. when we came back from having a dinner on saturday evening the chimenea was lit as well as the tall gaslight lanterns in the garden. nice to sit and relax in the evening next to the chimenea. there is also a hot tub in the garden (used it on saturday afternoon after trekking around the shops of chester), there is also a sauna in the log cabin next to the hot tub as well as some gym equipment.
there is also wireless broadband at no extra charge which we managed to connect to even though we were in the top room and the router is in the lounge.
all in all a great place to stay and not far from the centre of chester.
many thanks to our host, SAM.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2010

My son was taking part in a play in Chester- at the Grosvenor Park Open Air, so we stayed just outside Chester- I thought the town may be noisy.
This is a lovely guest house, with a lovely garden. Sauna, Jaccuzi, small gym -cross trainer, treadmill , exercise bike.
Towels are changed daily.
Room equipment, iron, ironing board, hairdryer, towel bath robes, towels changed daily, sherry, tea and coffee, water jug and face flannels- which is always a must. Plenty of loo paper, but no box of tissues.
I'd stay again if I was ever in Chester.
Marco Peirre White restaurant nearby at the Doubleday Hilton
Don't eat at the Shrewsbury Arms in Mickle Trafford, my husband was up all night with food poisoning and missed our sons play -
We had the Garden Room, which has it's own entrance, lvery private, I liked that feature a lot, the other door leads into the main house for breakfast.
The owners have a dog Charlie, my husband is afraid of dogs, they seem to bite him, but Charlie was n't like that at all, a very nice dog.

Marlow Bucks
Reviewed 6 July 2010

So sorry but I really must disagree with the comments made by Drama Queen on 20th July the Manor is a fantastic place to stay the room (cottage) was beautiful with its own balcony,I tried the hot tub (no extra charge) wow so relaxing and good temperature I didn't try the jacuzzi (no extra charge). The small touches were loverly like the small decanter of sherry on the drinks tray with the mints,the DAB radio, digital TV,great bed, The garden was loverly and was even lit up at night with gas torches and even the chimanea was lit with a wrought iron double seat in front of it, Charlie the dog was great fun to play with and he brings his toy back to your feet for you to throw.There is an Honesty bar provided with white wine,lager etc in the fridge for you to enjoy either inside or in the garden. Breakfast was a joy full English,toast,fruit,cereal, all home cooked by our host Sam who even lent me £4 in change so we could go into Chester on the park & ride and promptly forgot about it (should have kept quiet) both Sams husband & father were very helpful with any problems not that we found any,the carpet outside our door was loose and as soon as i mentioned it to Sam it was fixed instantly.We did not want to leave but needs must we will definatly be back sooner rather than later if possible.The Manor is not your usual B&B with grouchy landlady it is the exact oppersite Well done Sam & John for creating this beautiful haven,cant wait to go back. I could go on & on raving about the Manor but will now finish. THANK YOU FOR A WONDERFUL STAY !!!!!

Marseille, France
Reviewed 24 June 2010

I've stayed at the Manor regularly now for 4 -5 years, maybe 6 times a year. Every time I go there, there is warm welcome and a smile from Sammy. The rooms are large, clean and comfortable, the breakfast is amazing and the atmosphere is relaxed and informal. It's a place where people still care about whether you are comfortable and enjoying your stay. It's convenient for Chester and just off the motorway network but quiet, in the middle of a beautiful Cheshire village. Equally good for business or family holidays. It's one place I would never be frightened to recommend.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Chester
Reviewed 20 June 2010

We arrived at the manor and were suitably impressed, the place is stunning, rooms are beautiful and spacious. The gardens are lovely and we settled down to enjoy a girly night in.

This was the night before my Mum's wedding and she and I along, with my two new step sisters had arrived for a girly bonding session before the big day.

It is 14 years since we lost my Dad and Mum was widowed and so the wedding day was to be a very special day. All started well enough and Mum and I popped out very early to the hairdressers. The cars were due to pick us up at 12.30 and as such Mum had arranged with the proprietor for a late check out. Or so we thought. On arriving back from the hairdressers at 10.30 we found my step sisters sat in the lounge with wet hair having been ousted from their room.

Firstly 10.30 is very early to be expected to leave - most hotes and bed and breakfasts all over the world are somewhere between 11 and 12. Secondly - and most importantly, Mum had specifically rang to ensure we would be able to stay in the rooms till 12.

When Mum and I approached the staff on duty that morning to try and explain we were told that they knew nothing about it. What was most upsetting though was the way we were spoken to. Both the lady and gentleman on duty were curt, discourteous, illmannered and rude.

This was not the perfect start to the most important day of her life that Mum had anticipated.

Never mind, we thought, we'll all pile into the other room and get ready together. However, at 10.55 we were told that we would have to vacate the other room too.

In short we were told to move into the downstairs lounge, which has public access and use the sauna toilet, shower and mirror down the garden.

As I'm sure you can imagine Mum was extremely upset - none of us could believe what was happening. Where was the hospitality advertised on their website? We left at 12.30 having dressed in the lounge with no privacy. As we were travelling in a vintage wedding car we had asked the proprietor if we could leave the car we came in and pick it up later on over the weekend and were told that wouldn't be a problem.

The wedding was beautiful nonetheless, lovely ceremony, gorgeous reception venue, where we stayed over night. (Incidently, check out time was 12 the day after.)

Just when we thought we had experienced the worst, Mum called me this morning, (Sunday) to say she had just landed in Rome - the first day of her honey moon - to be greeted by a vile voice message from the proprietors of The Manor, expressing the inconvienience of our vehicle still being in the car park and that if we didn't move it immediately they would tow it away with a tractor.

Is it just me, or am I right to be disgusted with such despicable treatment. Surely anybody in the hospitality sector would take pains to ensure some ones special day started in the right way? The quote of the experience comes from the Gentleman on duty in the morning who said to me - 'The cleaning girls are due to finish and you can't expect me to change the beds'.

Awful.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
7 Thank DramaQueen10
, Owner at Mickle Trafford Manor, responded to this review, 22 June 2010
The Manor is run by myself and my father John. We are a small B & B and although it is our home we do pride ourselves in giving customers 100% service to make their stay enjoyable. It is our policy to ask guests to leave their bedrooms by 10.30 am. on checkout (There are signs in the rooms to explain this) as rooms have to be serviced for oncoming guests. However, as I tell all my guests they are very welcome to use the Manor facilities before embarking on their next destination or have the option to stay for an extra night if rooms are available. I try to help with wedding guests' transport requirements. However, I do ask them not to leave vehicles inappropriately parked in front of the house, but being an old farm, I do have ample parking. It would have been easier if the guest had told someone their intentions before leaving the house. We are sorry for any misunderstandings that the reviewer felt occurred.
Canaries, preferably
Reviewed 20 June 2010

We stayed in the master bedroom which was fabulous, very large bed, double aspect windows and beams. The bathroom was exceptionally large and having a bath in the very long bath, overlooking the gardens was wonderful. The gardens are beautiful and the full English breakfast was delicious. Highly recommended

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Northern Ireland
Reviewed 2 June 2010

We stumbled across this B&B and thank goodness we did. The Manor is full of quaint charm and the gardens were just a delight to sit in. We stayed in the Balcony room and it was heaven to sit out in the evening sunshine with our wine. It was even nicer watching the sun come up in the mornings. On our first evening we were invited down to the patio area by John, who lit up the patio heaters and chimney for us to sit and enjoy.
Downstairs there was a fridge full of alcoholic beverages with an honesty box to put your money in.
There was agorgeous little snug at the bottom of the garden and a sauna and hot tub for all to enjoy.
Our time here was fantastic, it was great to get away from all the hustle and bustle but the Manor ws still close enough to the tourist attractions.
If you need any advice just ask John. He will gladly let you know where to go, how to get there and will tell you al ittle bit of the history of the areas!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple