“fantastic mini break!”

Ranked #10 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Hinckley
“fantastic mini break!”
Reviewed 22 January 2012

My husband and I booked a one night spa package in an executive club double room. The hotel was lovely and the room well appointed. We had lunch in the bar area prior to going to the spa. The food was lovely however the whole hotel was quite cold as the heating had gone off after a fire alarm. The heating did eventually come back on which made the experience much more enjoyable. Our treatments in the spa were great and the girls very professional and friendly. The executive bar was a great touch which we enjoyed before heading into chester for a lovely meal. The breakfast the next morning was very varied and a good start to the day. All the staff we met were extremely helpful and friendly. We would highly recommend this hotel to our friends and can't wait to return!

Room Tip: book an executive room for the added lounge benefits.
2 Thank Eliboom

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
  • Turkish first
Cheshire
Reviewed 22 January 2012

Beds are super super comfy rooms very clean location fab!!!!! Buffet breakfast divine
All in all a pleasant stay

• Stayed January 2012
Huddersfield
Reviewed 14 January 2012

I have stayed in crown plazas all over the world and was sadly disappointed by this one. Upon arriving to the hotel we were told that the car park was full. That is fair enough but the overflow carpark away from the hotel was also full. It took my husband 45 minutes to eventually find a space.

Upon check in we went through the priority line as my husband is a platinum member and booked through the priority club. The lady on reception rang to see if they were any executive level rooms available, which she said there wasn't. As we were checking in a couple next to us were checking in and asked for an upgrade as they were gold members, the manager quickly came over to them and upgraded them straight away. Leaving my husband and I speechless. How come the room was available for them and not us? We then asked if we had access to the lounge but were told no.
We mentioned then that we had a twin but would it be possible to change to a double. Again we were told it is full and we couldn't switch rooms. However 20 minutes later and fed up my husband asked the manager for a double which he promptly sorted for us.
I am really disappointed that this experience has tainted our stay.
Apart from the double standard check in , the hotel is clean and the bar and facilities are very nice. However due to the experience when checking in we will never stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed January 2012
2 Thank NewlywedsDL
gm_cpchester, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Chester, responded to this review, 19 January 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. Please accept my apologies for the confusion you experienced upon your arrival to the hotel. We do endeavour to provide an upgrade when ever possible for our priority club members. Unfortunately due to high demand this is not always possible.

With regards to the club lounge access I can confirm that this is not included as a matter of course for clients who receive a complimentary upgrade. The parking situation you encountered was very unfortunate as the hotel was fully booked and the city was very busy on the day in question.

I was very pleased to read that all other aspects of your stay were both comfortable and enjoyable. I do hope that on reflection you will choose to stay with us again in the future.

Kind Regards
West Yorkshire
Reviewed 9 January 2012

Amazing value in January 2012, paid only £20.12 per room to stay at this hotel with priority clubs Olympics 2012 rates.

Hotel looks dated and suppose is in areas probably would benefit from a renovation.

Even though I paid £20.12 I was upgraded to the crowne plaza club floor and given a executive room with late check out until 2pm the next day.

Very convenient for the town centre shops and bars which are only 5 min walk away.

Overall great value not sure I would want to pay £100.00 per room as the decorations are dated.

Have fun, we did

1 Thank copleycop
bolton north west england
Reviewed 8 January 2012

One night B&B in the exec suite at the Crown plaza chester- a treat without kids! very clean and welcoming for such a large hotel.staff we met were all genuinely happy to assist.The complementary bar in the exec lounge is a nice touch.Room was very nice if not a little small for an exec room.Food was nice with a friendly atmosphere.Chester is a perfect location for a break and is on a level with York but its more compact for a one nighter. Will defo go to chester and the Crown Plaza again.

Room Tip: The exec rooms are worth the difference
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 January 2012

I was on a 5-day trip with a Coach Company. Hotel was very nice, the staff were very good and helpful. Titan were also at hotel for Xmas break. Breakfast was exceptional, but the meals at lunch and dinner were awful, especially the Lamb on the Gala Night. I had to return my main meal twice and then could not eat it. Lamb was mostly bone and I could not cut it with my knife. I would say 99% of this meal was returned on that evening and we were all complaining. If I stayed here again I would not eat in the Kings Suite. They must have another restaurant as good as Silks (where breakfast is served) otherwise I do not think anyone would eat there. Also the dessert was a choice of bread & butter pudding and Banoffee pie. I had the bread & butter pudding which consisted of about 5/6 sultanas and the rest bread. I could not eat it.

The Xmas lunch was also disappointing. It was a small amount of turkey, stuffing which was horrible and vegetables which were overcooked. All I could eat was the turkey and two small roast potatoes. We did not even come down for the evening buffet. We stayed in our room and ate biscuits and cakes which we had brought with us. Actually all the vegetables were overcooked at every meal. Also if you were a man you would starve.

If you are looking for a hotel which is centrally situated, has good staff and, excellent breakfasts, very nice rooms then this is suitable for you.

I would stay again on a bed and breakfast basis only.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Bridgend, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2012

I would like to express my disgust at the food presented to us over Christmas.
Raw vegetables on the first night and thereafter reused vegetables from the previous night. The xmas lunch was appalling tinned or processed turkey and for vegetarians a vegetable parva. A conncoction of last nights vegetables , a slice of celariac, slice of sweet potato with single cream poured all over it in an attempt to make a sauce. Breakfast was minimal although a member of staff offered to cook a poached egg it arrived in a solid state.

The general state of the hotel was good and the staff helpful. Also dissappointed that the entertainment finished at 10.00pm even tho I am older i do like to celebrate xmas.

I would not reccomend this hotel to anyone !!!

Room Tip: Dont go for Christmas period eat elsewhere
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple