“Impressive!”

Ranked #10 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Warwickshire, United Kingdom
“Impressive!”
Reviewed 18 June 2012

We booked an Executive Room for a one night stay earlier this month to attend the wedding of a family friend. In order to avoid the Damaging Director having to change into her posh frock and hat in a public loo somewhere after a two hour car journey, I asked if we could have the room by 12 noon, instead of the normal check in time of 3pm. Absolutely no problem was the reply, and sure enough, when we arrived, the Receptionist [Kim -who was absolutely brilliant] knew all about it and had our keys ready. First good point.
The second good point came with the room, which was a very good size with enough pillows on the bed to keep the tent of a Bedouin sheik fully furnished! All was clean and tidy and very nicely furnished, with comprehensive complimentary toiletries. We could have done with a couple more power sockets without having to carefully time what we used/charged, but overall it was very impressive.
The Executive Club lounge looked small but well formed and was very well stocked with refreshments, although we were not at the hotel long enough to sample it, so I cannot comment on whether it was good bad or indifferent.
Breakfast however was something I did sample and it was superb, with a full choice of everything Continental, as well as every conceivable component of a Full English in buffet style.
We were OK with the hotel parking, which can apparently be in short supply at times. Although it was charged at £7.50 for 24 hours, we were told we could stay as long as we liked on our second [check out] day, which allowed us to have a look round the beautiful City at leisure, despite the fact that Chester Races were on that day, and the place was heaving!
The location is fantastic for the City centre area with the Cathedral, shops et al, and despite the distinctly wet weather at the time of our arrival, we were able to get to the Town Hall for the wedding we were attending virtually without going outside - just about twenty steps!
In summary, a well located hotel, with great staff, excellent accommodation and facilities + good food. We would certainly go again when next in Chester.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Turkish first
St.Helens
Reviewed 18 June 2012

Stayed over in Chester for the night, in may 2012.
Checked in quickly, very happy with the room :)!!!
Hotel and room both spotless.
Hotel right in the centre :)

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Vixy L
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2012

Greeting on arrival was excellent, lovely reception staff. Hotel room was nice with a Huge extremely comfy bed. We booked an executive room and was slightly disappointed that rose wine was not on offer in the executive club lounge. It said a continental breakfast was available but unfortunately this was just a cold croissant. I would definately stay at this hotel again as it was immaculate but would spend the money on the breakfast rather than the executive room.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
gm_cpchester, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Chester, responded to this review, 13 June 2012
Dear Alison

Thank you for posting your review. I was pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us here in Chester.

I am sorry you thought the continental selection was in adequate which I have to say did surprise me as we do offer a full continental selection. I have requested this be looked into as clearly on the day in question it was not to the high standard we strive to achieve.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Chester in the near future

Kind Regards
Wakefield, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2012

Stayed at the Hotel in May, nice hotel and well situated. Problem was breakfast the next morning, having to wait 30 mins because the hotel apparently didnt have enough staff. Hardly the 4 star service they claim to offer. Tables a mess, no staff for drinks.
On arrival at home I complained through my priority club membership and got a pasted and copied reply that said my comments would be held at their corporate head office, well thanks a bunch for that. I hate to think how they treat their non priority club members.
I have stayed ay many hotels in Chester and for the price you can do far better than the Crowne Plaza

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dave W
Thank you for posting a review regarding your recent experience with us here in Chester. I was disappointed to read that you had a delay on arrival for breakfast, for which i would like to appologise.

Please be assured that we take all feedback seriously and act upon the facts we are given. I do hope that you will continue to be a member of our highly valued Priority Club which offers many benefits to all members. I do trust that all other aspects’ of your stay were to your satisfaction.

Kind Regards
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 11 June 2012

I enjoyed a really lovely weekend in a very wet Chester recently when I stayed with my partner at this hotel. There were two outstanding things about this establishment. Firstly the location is excellent for exploring the city on foot. You really are a stone throw from "the Rows" and the Cathedral. Secondly the breakfast is terrific - all the standard fare ranging from full English to continental but the thing that really impressed me was the perfectly poached eggs served promptly to your table. I also found the staff were very helpful and courteous.

The hotel parking was a bit tricky....perhaps it was just the weekend of the Jubliee or perhaps Chester is difficult at the best of times but getting your car into the hotel's limited lot seems a bit of a lottery. The only other annoyance was lack of convenient power points in the room. Not only did I have to push a double seat sofa out of the way to plug in my phone charger but the room's kettle didn't have a dedicated socket either. On top of that the kettle's lead was so short it had to be left on the the floor while in use. - Small details....but all fixable Crowne Plaza

Overall however a pretty good experience

Cheltenham, England.
Reviewed 7 June 2012

I am writing this from this hotel whilst I am staying here. I have paid a lot of money to be in this hotel and they want me to pay £7 per day for wifi access. This is disgusting knowing all other major chains I stay in offer it free.

Stay somewhere else on principle!!

• Stayed June 2012
3 Thank onthepiste
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2012

My husband booked this 1 nights stay for myself and my mum in an executive club room...He paid £185 which included use of the executive club lounge which meant that all soft drinks/tea/coffee where free all day and from 5-8 the bar was opened and you could help yourself to canapés too!!! This was a lovely surprise as he hadn't told us,it made our trip really special!!!
The only unfortunate part was that we had booked through laterooms.com,and we'd requested a twin room which was not allocated to us,we had to have a double instead...We did complain and they delivered a complimentary bottle of wine to our room,that was very much appreciated but having twin beds would of been preferred!!!!

Room Tip: Check booking if you book with laterooms.com or booking.com as requests for certain rooms are not al...