“Chester was fantastic - Crowne Plaza not the usual standard”

Crowne Plaza Chester
Ranked #13 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed 21 August 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights on business, in an executive room. The exutive lounge was poor, and I had to ring twice for it to be cleaned up. The main restaurant was ok - very attentive waiter, but the manager looked like he was in training.
The robes, and toiletries were missing from the room, and you could hear the alarm through teh wall from next door.
There was a big M&S function during one of teh days, and it looked like that was the main priority, they took over the car park, which meant that guests could not get parked.
Room service was so slow, that I cancelled it!
Not teh standard I would have expected from the Crowen Plaza. They need to go to the US for some training!

Room Tip: It is not worth paying extra for the executive lounge - the room is very small for the number of gue...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,796)

Reviewed 21 August 2012

A quick one night break, it has been a while since I had visited Chester and wanted to do the canal walk from Ellesmere Port. We parked up early, the hotel was easy to find and I think it used to be a Moat House if my memory and sat nav serves. I informed reception of our plans and they even offered the use of changing facilities and bag storage which was useful, but not used. On our return check in was seamless and an upgrade to an Executive room was provided courtesy of PC status.
The room was clean and well equipped, the only quickly resolved issue was no bathrobes for a visit to the pool and spa the following morning. I had booked a dinner, bed and breakfast rate, which allows either a choice from a somewhat restricted menu or £25 off the a la carte. While there were no real issues with dinner, the portion sizes were a bit small for a hungry couple. Service was fine and luckily the bar wasn't full of half cut, ten bob millionaire race goers with losers attitudes which I remember from my last visit.
Breakfast was a good affair in the buffet style and the pool and gym was used, typical size and layout for a hotel of this size and location.
They allowed us to leave the car until we had finished buying far too much cheese from a local house of cheesy combestibles and a walk around the walls. All in all a good stay, but should I return I would probably avail myself of a local restaurant.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Chester, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent stay with us here in Chester.

I'm very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. You are correct in thinking we used to be the Moat House, which changed in 2006. I do hope you managed to pick up some lovely cheeses prior to your journey home.

I hope to see you at the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 20 August 2012

Stayed here for short break around wedding and as a short treat with my wife as we love Chester. the location is superb s you are in the heart of chester and a stomes throw from the best restauirants, brs and sights.
if driving do make use of the parking facilities on offer - same price as those across the town and parking is all on the top of the hotel netx to the lifts.

Room Tip: quality. do try and make use of the gym and spa facilites. breakfast is fabulous and th ervice is su...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Chester, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us here at Crowne Plaza Chester.

I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope to see you in the hotel soon.

Reviewed 20 August 2012

Club Family room very well equipped, apart from 1 dressing gown for 3 people, and the mini bar was empty? bathroom very tired in need of replacement, restaurant not a good experience, they lost our order, then when food arrived it was still frozen. We made a subtle complaint and was offered a free drink. The location is excellent as are the reception staff. The pool was again tired but adequate. I think it is the location that makes the hotel so appealing and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank mrspickylancashire
QMHManager, Manager at Crowne Plaza Chester, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent stay with us here at the Crowne Plaza Chester.

I am pleased to read that our team members were excellent and you enjoyed our location.
In regard to the robes, please feel free next time to request extra from housekeeping. I am sorry about the minibar, there was no need for such an over sight on our part.

I am sorry to read that your experience with our restaurant was not to the standard we usually extend to our guests.

I’m glad that you will stay with us again and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

General Manger

Reviewed 19 August 2012

We stayed one night and had a very pleasant stay in an Executive Room. We were greeted by warm and friendly staff upon our arrival. Unfortunately there was a screaming child next to the room we were allocated so we asked to shift and were directed to a room that had not been made up, though their system indicated it was. The staff were extremely embarrassed about this. We were then directed to another room. The Executive Rooms have king sized beds and the beds are extremely comfortable. In fact it is probably the most comfortable hotel bed I have ever slept in. There was a good choice of drinks in the Executive Lounge but I thought the food choices were very limited. The breakfast selection was great and there was plenty of variety. The hotel is centrally located and within easy walking distance of many of Chester's points of interest. The parking spaces were very narrow and we only had a small car. The toiletry products were very good.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends

Dear guest,

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us including your meals; we often receive high praise about our food and I am pleased that you were pleased with yours.

I am glad that you enjoyed your room and the bed too. We keep the level of our toiletries to a high standard because we know they are easily forgotten and it’s important to ensure our guests have everything they need during there stay with us.

I hope to welcome you back to our hotel soon.

General Manager.

Reviewed 19 August 2012

Although only 45 minutes from where I live, the hotel was picked for its Spa facilities and also location.. Hotel is modern, exceptionally clean and staff more than helpful. I had a full body massage and it was heavenly.. The staff in the spa and leisure facilites were very friendly.

Room Tip: For an extra few pounds, ask for the executive rooms.. They come with great extra's including a...

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent stay with Crowne Plaza Chester.

I’m pleased to read that you enjoyed our spa facilities and you found us to be helpful and pristine.

I hope you left us feeling thoroughly relaxed and pampered, I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 19 August 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights in August 2012 to visit Chester races. The hotel is ideally located for both the races and the city centre with lots of good bars and restaurants close by. All of the staff were very friendly from check in on Friday until departure and particularly staff in the restaurant for breakfast and in the club lounge. We booked a room on the third floor which for a slightly higher room rate gives access to the club lounge on the same floor. Very civilised to return here after shopping and the races to relax with complementary drinks and snacks. Our room was very clean and comfortable with a huge bed, on booking we had requested a view over the racecourse which was accommodated. There was also a very good range of complementary toiletries of good quality, i've noticed that some other hotels have started to cut back on these so this was a pleasant change. Breakfast was self service but very good. There was a good range to choose from and particularly liked that the staff quickly cleared away plates once used and always asked if we wanted more drinks, very friendly. We ate out both evenings. Friday we ate at the Asia fusion which is a good quality Indian restaurant in the city centre that we have visited many times. We also went for drinks at the Living Room afterwards where there was live music which was nice. Saturday after the races we ate at Joseph Benjamin on Northgate St. Really friendly service, good quality food. Menu not vast but enough choice for us and really enjoyed it. Tip for the races we paid for the County Stand, it really isn't worth it unless you get tickets for the Longroom as you still can't sit down in the stand to watch the races. Entrance to Tattersalls still allows you to cross to the centre of the course where most of the hospitality facilities are and the paddock, as long as you are smartly dressed I think you can access most of the facilities over there. So all in all a really good weekend and we will definitely be back to the Crowne Plaza for our next visit to Chester. We generally stay at least a couple of times each year so this will be our hotel of choice now I think.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view over the racecourse and Welsh Hills. Also for a special occasion upgrade...

Dear guest,

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and that we gave you the service we strive to extend to all our guests.

Thank you for choosing us are your hotel of choice, I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.