“Excellent”

Ranked #10 of 44 Hotels in Chester
North Wales
“Excellent”
Reviewed 27 August 2012

Our family of 6 adults and my 5 year old grandson have spent a lovely weekend at the Crown Plaza Chester. Rooms were lovely and clean, excellent food and lovely and very helpful staff. For anyone who wants to spend a few days in Chester it is worth paying that little extra to stay at this hotel, we will definitely return here again. Very convenient for the town center and great Spa facilities., If I have to include a negative that would be about the posh people in their black ties and very posh frocks who were swanning around attending a party on Saturday night looking down their noses at us, but we had the last laugh they were falling all over the place and throwing up in the car park - shame on them. BUT IT PUT A BIG SMILE ON OUR FACES!! Wonderful hotel, hope to visit again soon!!

Room Tip: Go for the Executive - well worth it
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
  • Turkish first
Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2012

We booked a stay in Chester and were attracted to the web site detyails, reasonable price for a centrally located hotel. The hotel is modern and rooms are spacious and well fitted out. The reception staff are very welcoming and ensure that you are happy and have all the information that you need. As the hotel is large it does have functions going on but we wern't disturbed by this. The bed in the double room felt quite small we are both tall & on the large size, I reported this to see if we could get a room with a larger bed & the concierge was very accomodating which made all the difference to our second night's stay. The swimming pool & jacuzzi are on the small size but nice to have use of. The breakfast was buffet style and very good choice the service was well run. Well done staff at this hotel. Also if you have an O2 mobile phone, look at Priority moments as they are offering 35% off stays at these hotels amongst others.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Chester, responded to this review, 29 August 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your recent stay with us.

I have to say it was a real pleasure to read and share with the team, demonstrating what they starve for really does make a difference

I hope to see you in the hotel again soon.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2012

First time my wife and I have been to Chester, we had a great weekend break. The Crowne Plaza was central to everything. The staff were excellent, especially at reception and the bar. Room was very comfortable.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on the hotel.

I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, especially seeing as it was your first time in Chester. I hope you had the chance to explore the area and sample everything we at the hotel had to offer.

I hope when you return to the city you will choose us again.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2012

I stay in Chester a lot on business and it surprises me that this is the most expensive.

I'll start with the good, prime location in town, all facilities you can expect, swimming pool sauna steam room concierge, jacuzzi (its not big though). Reception staff make a real effort but are missing the point it feels a bit rushed at times.

The view isn't great but as your right in town that to be expected.

The bar and foyer are huge, and very open and relaxing I think this is a trend for Crowne plaza.

My main grumble and the reason for my poor ratings are.

The overall presentation of the hotel is pretty dated, it lacks the wow factor of a 4* hotel especially when compared to the other equally priced places I have stayed at in Chester. If you want an in town location but you're not fused about a pool then the Abode is much nicer and newer, with brilliant food. If you want a stunning leisure break the DoubleTree hilton has stunning leisure facilites and brilliant service if you can bear not being in town.

The service at breakfast was pretty aweful. There was a coach party of oriental tourists staying at the hotel, they all went to breakfast at roughly the same time. I was shown to a table that would have seated 4 doesn't make sense to me if they where busy, as the restaurant filled up, it was obvious they where understaffed, tables where not cleared, I went to the buffet, when I returned there was a chap sat in my seat, I had to ask him to leave, it had become a free for all, I would expect this at McDonnalds not a 4* hotel!! He then helped him self to the table next to mine and cleared the dirty plates on to my table, I wasn't happy about this, I suggested that he waited until he was shown to table, he hid behind his language barrier. This is annoying, as the staff where nowhere to be seen, in the end I rushed down the rest of my coffee and headed to work. I mentioned it to the reception in the evening, they very kindly said they would reduce my rate by £10/night, when I checked out I noticed that the rate they'd charged me was for a higher catagory room they given me (although I couldn't tell the difference, my colleagues confirmed it was the case because I was on the 'club' floor) and then reduced this by £10.

The air conditioning in the room is pretty noisy.

I wasn't impressed I didn't argue about the room rate as it wasn't me who was paying nor have I stayed again since.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent stay with us here at the Crowne Plaza Chester.

I am sorry to read that you didn’t enjoy your stay with us and I would like to apologise for the standards you experienced at breakfast which is far from the normal standard we strive to achieve.

I note your comments regarding the Abode hotel which is only two years old, I am pleased to say that we are currently upgrading all of our televisions to the latest Samsung Smart
Televisions during September. We will also be refurbishing our public areas creating the wow factor in the coming months.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you wish to discuss your stay with us in more detail, enabling us the chance to demonstrate the normal standards we strive to achieve

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights on business, in an executive room. The exutive lounge was poor, and I had to ring twice for it to be cleaned up. The main restaurant was ok - very attentive waiter, but the manager looked like he was in training.
The robes, and toiletries were missing from the room, and you could hear the alarm through teh wall from next door.
There was a big M&S function during one of teh days, and it looked like that was the main priority, they took over the car park, which meant that guests could not get parked.
Room service was so slow, that I cancelled it!
Not teh standard I would have expected from the Crowen Plaza. They need to go to the US for some training!

Room Tip: It is not worth paying extra for the executive lounge - the room is very small for the number of gue...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2012

A quick one night break, it has been a while since I had visited Chester and wanted to do the canal walk from Ellesmere Port. We parked up early, the hotel was easy to find and I think it used to be a Moat House if my memory and sat nav serves. I informed reception of our plans and they even offered the use of changing facilities and bag storage which was useful, but not used. On our return check in was seamless and an upgrade to an Executive room was provided courtesy of PC status.
The room was clean and well equipped, the only quickly resolved issue was no bathrobes for a visit to the pool and spa the following morning. I had booked a dinner, bed and breakfast rate, which allows either a choice from a somewhat restricted menu or £25 off the a la carte. While there were no real issues with dinner, the portion sizes were a bit small for a hungry couple. Service was fine and luckily the bar wasn't full of half cut, ten bob millionaire race goers with losers attitudes which I remember from my last visit.
Breakfast was a good affair in the buffet style and the pool and gym was used, typical size and layout for a hotel of this size and location.
They allowed us to leave the car until we had finished buying far too much cheese from a local house of cheesy combestibles and a walk around the walls. All in all a good stay, but should I return I would probably avail myself of a local restaurant.

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent stay with us here in Chester.

I'm very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. You are correct in thinking we used to be the Moat House, which changed in 2006. I do hope you managed to pick up some lovely cheeses prior to your journey home.

I hope to see you at the hotel again soon.

Manchester
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Stayed here for short break around wedding and as a short treat with my wife as we love Chester. the location is superb s you are in the heart of chester and a stomes throw from the best restauirants, brs and sights.
if driving do make use of the parking facilities on offer - same price as those across the town and parking is all on the top of the hotel netx to the lifts.

Room Tip: quality. do try and make use of the gym and spa facilites. breakfast is fabulous and th ervice is su...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Chester, responded to this review, 22 August 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us here at Crowne Plaza Chester.

I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope to see you in the hotel soon.