“It's ok. But ok is just about it..”

Crowne Plaza Chester
Ranked #10 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“It's ok. But ok is just about it..”
Reviewed 31 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights with two kids and my wife. Booked a so called suite on the club level floor (free drinks and canapés from 5-8 every day). Room was very poor, wallpaper peeling off the Walls, Stains on bed ware and carpets. Sink in bathroom leaked and was never repaired even though we mentioned it. The staff at the hotel where very good and quite friendly but lacked any local knowledge when pressed for local recommendations etc.. The hotels location is second to none just a 2 min walk to chester city centre. Car parking on site is convenient but very expensive at £7.50 a night, if your going to provide parking, guests should never be expected to pay. The biggest wind up for me though was there was no free wi-fi, they wanted £15 a day which imho is disgraceful. I can go to costa coffee and spend £2 and get all the free wi-fi I want but pay these guys £150 a night and no chance. Wake up crowne plaza. The food and drinks we had were very good quality and the food at the bar was good value and was served with a smile. Overall you can't fault the location but that's not enough to recommend it. We won't be returning in a hurry. Chester itself is fantastic and well worth a visit and I can highly recommend Hickorys smokehouse down by the river fa a great food experience.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Perrisfamily
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Chester, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your feedback.

I am pleased to read you found our team members and food to be of an excellent quality and you were impressed by this and our location. I am sorry, however, to read of your dissatisfaction concerning your room. I will be sure to look into the issue with your bathroom as soon as possible and I will talk to our housekeeping team to ensure the best care is being given to our rooms. I hope to welcome you back in the future.

Mark Thacker

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Turkish first
Usk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2013

A good business hotel. Very good breakfast and friendly and efficient staff. Location is good but the design of the hotel with the main entrance in back street cover car park tunnel lets it down. Short of knocking the hotel down a rebuilding it I’m not sure what can be done about this however. Downsides the broadband costs £20 for 2 days which seems expensive to me.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us a great deal and found everything to your liking from our breakfasts to our friendly and efficient team members. I hope to welcome you back very soon.

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Stayed overnight with my husband to break a long journey. Nice hotel helpful staff, standard room perfectly OK. Booked to eat in Silk resteraunt as too tired to go out. Air con freezing asked to be moved to warmer spot which the staff were happy to do but there was nowhere warmer. Went upstairs to room to add another layer but not really successful. My meal was OK, however my husbands risotto was in his words the worst he had ever had. Overcooked rice and having no taste at all. We told the chap in charge as we were going back up to the room, too chilly for desert, and he did not charge us and apologised but it spoiled the meal. As I said before it was a good rating spoiled by silly touches.

Room Tip: You can have a room in a quiet part, we were offered this on reception.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for reviewing your stay.

I’m pleased to read that you found our team members and rooms to be more than adequate but I’m sorry that you found our restaurant to be too cold despite being moved to a warmer spot. I will look into this to ensure the air con is at a more comfortable temperature. I hope that despite this you choose to return to us in the future.

Reviewed 29 August 2013

Stayed for a long weekend. Excellent service for a British hotel and actually deserves its rating.
Good club room and worth the extra cost. Very nice breakfast.
Location is superb for the town.
Club lounge could be larger though as it was full.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I am very pleased to read that you found our hotel to be well-deserving of our rating with wonderful service. I hope to welcome you back for another relaxing break.

Rossendale, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Stayed here on the 13th August with my wife and three year old daughter. The hotel is spotless. It is right in the heart of Chester but not noisy so lots to see and do. Swimming pool was great. Will definately go back...............

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Chester, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your family break with us.

I am extremely pleased to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your time with us and found everything to your liking from our leisure facilities to our location. I hope to welcome you all back very soon.

Reviewed 26 August 2013

I stayed in this hotel recently and initially believed the place to be of good quality. After a few days you begin to notice small things that make your stay not unpleasant, but not comfortable. On Saturday night, I decided to meet a couple of friends at the bar for a quick drink before we headed into town, we got an order in fast enough, as we were guided to a seat and told someone would take our order which they did, which was a nice touch, but from here on in, it seemed like chaos! There appeared to be two or three people serving 50 or so sat at tables, and it wasn't working at all. After about 15 minutes we eventually got our drinks, but by this point we were sick of waiting and just wanted to leave. Other negatives included the temperature of the rooms, they were like saunas, plus no free wifi! Also I decided in the morning to have breakfast and was quoted something like £16, so walked out of the hotel 5 minutes and found a small cafe for breakfast which looked far nice food at a reasonable price. Except for the things mention, the rooms were clean and beds comfortable, and the staff couldn't do enough to help, especially reception, Rebecca particularly.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Stopper1
QMHManager, Reception Manager at Crowne Plaza Chester, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review.

Although I am pleased to read that you found the majority of your stay (rooms and team members) to be of a high standard and impressive, I am sorry to read that your experience in our bar led to confusion. I will look into this instance to ensure our standards are not slipping. I hope you realise this is not a comment I hear often and give us another chance in the future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2013

This hotel provides the level of service to which all Holiday Inns should aspire. Rooms are well maintained, staff courteous and its location is superb. There is recognition for Priority Club members which, sadly, is no longer the case in all of the IHG brand.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found everything to be to your liking. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.