Firstly, the good stuff.
As others have said, the interior of the hotel is much nicer than the exterior! You enter in a lobby with stairs and a lift - take the lift to Reception, not Ground floor like we did.
Our Executive suite room was ready when we checked in around 2pm, tastefully decorated and very clean. Both the room and bathroom were spacious. The room was well sound-proofed. As we had booked an executive suite, we received a continental breakfast as part of the room rate, as well as access to the club room from 5 - 8pm with complimentary drinks (but we didn't do that so can't comment any further). All the staff that we dealt with during our stay were very pleasant and helpful.
We were disappointed with the air conditioning in our room (411). It wasn't strong enough to have any real effect on our room temperature and my husband didn't sleep well as a result. We ended up cracking open the small window in the room and that made more difference than five hours of running the aircon. I would definitely avoid this hotel in summer as a result.
The other issue I have is with the chargeable wi-fi. It really is time that hotel chains like this offered wi-fi as part of the room rate, don't you think?
Another issue we had was with the parking. I think more effort could be made up front to make the parking situation clearer, e.g. put more details into the confirmation email. We drove up to the hotel car park barrier to find it was full, and there was a sign there which we didn't really understand. Apparently, what we should have done was go up to reception first (I don't know where we were expected to park the car to do this, there is no parking zone on the street?) and get a chit to take to an underground overflow park. As the signage said to park in the "Princess Street car park", we mistakenly went to the council car park on Princess Street. It didn't turn out to be a major problem, we paid £8-something for our overnight stay compared to £7.50 charged by the hotel, but it was a bit stressful with all the busy traffic in the area and being tired after a drive.
A tip for anyone heading into town, as it isn't described in the room information - simply exit the hotel and turn right, walking past the car park entrances and down the cobbled street - this will take you on to one of the main pedestrian shopping strips.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Crowne Plaza Chester, perfectly located on the edge of the city with panoramic views of the city and Welsh hills. The hotel is perfectly located for visiting all the historic sites of Chester, including the Roman walls, amphitheatre and Chester Cathedral. Renowned not only for its Roman heritage but also for its beautiful architecture, the shopping rows' many restaurants and inns are all just minutes from the hotel. With 160 bedrooms featuring stylish decor and amenities, with an option of upgrading to our club rooms, some with stunning views overlooking the famous Chester Racecourse and the Welsh hills. All bedrooms are fully air conditioned with elegant fabrics and furnishings creating a calm yet fresh environment. Crowne Plaza Chester is the number one choice in Chester whether you are here for business or pleasure. The hotel has a varied selection of conference and meeting rooms (11 in total) many with natural daylight, which can accommodate from 600 to as few as 4 guests. The Kings Suite interlinks to the Chester and Malpas Suite to give an ideal venue for exhibitions or large social events. Our dedicated conference team will ensure events run smoothly from the start. Our Club Moativation Health & Fitness Club including indoor heated pool, 24hr room service, onsite car parking and all areas of the hotel fully equipped with wireless internet makes us the perfect place to stay when visiting Chester. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com and Odigeo so you can book your Crowne Plaza Chester reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Crowne Plaza Chester Hotel Chester
- Chester Crowne Plaza
- Crowne Plaza Chester Cheshire