“Pleasant stay with some caveats” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crowne Plaza Chester

Crowne Plaza Chester
Ranked #11 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
“Pleasant stay with some caveats”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

Firstly, the good stuff.

As others have said, the interior of the hotel is much nicer than the exterior! You enter in a lobby with stairs and a lift - take the lift to Reception, not Ground floor like we did.

Our Executive suite room was ready when we checked in around 2pm, tastefully decorated and very clean. Both the room and bathroom were spacious. The room was well sound-proofed. As we had booked an executive suite, we received a continental breakfast as part of the room rate, as well as access to the club room from 5 - 8pm with complimentary drinks (but we didn't do that so can't comment any further). All the staff that we dealt with during our stay were very pleasant and helpful.

We were disappointed with the air conditioning in our room (411). It wasn't strong enough to have any real effect on our room temperature and my husband didn't sleep well as a result. We ended up cracking open the small window in the room and that made more difference than five hours of running the aircon. I would definitely avoid this hotel in summer as a result.

The other issue I have is with the chargeable wi-fi. It really is time that hotel chains like this offered wi-fi as part of the room rate, don't you think?

Another issue we had was with the parking. I think more effort could be made up front to make the parking situation clearer, e.g. put more details into the confirmation email. We drove up to the hotel car park barrier to find it was full, and there was a sign there which we didn't really understand. Apparently, what we should have done was go up to reception first (I don't know where we were expected to park the car to do this, there is no parking zone on the street?) and get a chit to take to an underground overflow park. As the signage said to park in the "Princess Street car park", we mistakenly went to the council car park on Princess Street. It didn't turn out to be a major problem, we paid £8-something for our overnight stay compared to £7.50 charged by the hotel, but it was a bit stressful with all the busy traffic in the area and being tired after a drive.

A tip for anyone heading into town, as it isn't described in the room information - simply exit the hotel and turn right, walking past the car park entrances and down the cobbled street - this will take you on to one of the main pedestrian shopping strips.

1 Thank sandra_nz
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Chester, responded to this review, 19 September 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to send feedback on your recent stay with us.

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our hotel to offer everything you needed for a comfortable stay in Chester. Our WiFi is free to guests who hold a Gold or Elite status IHG Rewards Club card. I’m sorry the sign at the car park was not more informative and I have taken your comments into consideration for discussion at a later date.

I’m also sorry the air con in your room didn’t make much difference to your stay and I will ensure that a member of our maintenance team checks it out. I hope that the quality of your room and our hotel outweigh the minor issues you encountered so I can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Mark Thacker

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013

This was our second stay at this hotel and will not be the last!
We booked the exec room and with this you get access to the club lounge where you get complimentary snacks and drinks from 5pm - 8pm, this is a great addittion to your break.
Room was nice and plenty of space. Only comment is that the shower could be a bit better for the money you pay.
Dined in the restaurant which was excellent, staff were really friendly and food was stuning. Good advice from the Manager when we asked about which wine to have. Used our tastecard which gets you 50% off which is amazing value. We wil be back!!

Room Tip: Go for the exec rooms well worth the extra few pounds esp if you use the exec lounge

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I am delighted to read that your stay was extremely comfortable in one of our executive rooms. I am pleased you found our team members to be friendly and full of good advice. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

Nantwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013

Myself and my partner recently stayed here as we were going to the races. I was concerned about the distance I would have to walk in my heels but it was no more than 5 minute walk to the race course and a 2 minute walk to the main restaurants and shops, so I couldn't have asked for a better location.
As other people have mentioned, it doesn't look great from the outside but once you're inside it is lovely. The reception has it's own floor where there we always 2 or 3 receptionists manning the desk so we didn't have to queue, and they were also very friendly and informative. We had an executive room, which I have no complaints about, We had robes and slippers (which I always think is a nice touch) and plenty of toiletries in the bathroom. The bathroom was a very generous size.
Breakfast was great with plenty of choice. We did go down quite late due to abit of a hangover so the restaurant was fairly quiet, so we didn't have any problem with our table been given away when we got up (as somebody previously mentioned). We didn't drink in the bar but we walked through and it looked very pleasant and if we had been there for longer I definitely would have done.
All in all, I would definitely stay at this hotel again if visiting Chester.

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I am very pleased to read that your time with us was extremely comfortable and thoroughly enjoyable. I hope to welcome you back to our hotel soon.

North Yorkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

The entrance to the hotel belies the interior. As a previous reviewer has mentioned, you enter via a tunnel, which is a dark and not very attractive street. Once inside however, the hotel is smart and well decorated.
I had a kingsize room which was clean, spacious and generally well equipped. My comment / complaint about the room is the placing of power points / plug sockets. Anyone wanting to charge their phone overnight and have it on the bedside table overnight will struggle to do so, once they have moved the furniture to find the socket, which is about an inch off the floor (at least in the room I had) - if you have a large / deep Apple plug, you'll struggle. Likewise the pull-out sockets on the desk, not ideal positioning if you want 2 things plugged in at once.
Wi-fi, sadly typical in hotels, is expensive - £15 for 24 hours, although there are different time packages on offer.
Positives: staff were all very friendly and helpful, breakfast was good, the bar is smart and has a nice lunch menu, and once you're out of the dingy street, you are right into the shopping and dining area of town, so it's a great spot for a city break.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us and were surprised by our interior and found us to be clean and extremely comfortable. I’m very pleased you found our team members to be extremely helpful and our meals to a high quality. I hope to welcome you back very soon.

United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2013

Based on a recent one-night stay. Overall a decent hotel, but not quite up to the standard I expected. Room and bathroom were generally good, but the bed wasn't the best though...stiff noisy sheets and just not that comfortable. Breakfast was just average, a bit more effort with the layout would have a helped and the juice - both orange and apple were pretty awful that day. Quite expensive overall, no need to charge for car parking and WiFi! But the swimming pool area was good and the staff were nice and helpful.

1 Thank FridaysArePurple

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I am pleased to read that you found your room to be clean and comfortable and our leisure facilities to be of a good quality. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Aylesbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2013

First impression is "what is this", the lower ground floor entrance is in a road tunnel to a public car park, the hotel car park is separate and costs £7.50 per night, quite expensive I think. The entrance from the car park is on the 1st floor, you have to go down to the ground floor to check in, not the lower ground floor where the main entrance is. (keep up).
The rooms are good, spacious and clean with an extra large bed which is comfortable, the bathroom was ok too.
Breakfast, if it is not included is £10 with a voucher from reception. I found the breakfast experience a little unpredictable. Plates, coffee etc cleared when only going to the buffet for some more. Somebody else given your seat while away at the buffet. The tables not set, missing cutlery etc.
This let the hotel down in my opinion, it seemed very un-professional.
Generally this hotel is all that you would expect from the Crown Plaza brand.
The main reason for going to Chester was not the hotel but the city, it was well worth the visit.

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review.

I am very pleased to read that your stay was enjoyable and you found we provided everything you needed for your trip to Chester. I have taken notes concerning your experience with us for breakfast and I will discuss these comments with our restaurant team as soon as possible. I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

Stayed here Saturday evening just gone, great hotel. We booked a standard room but upgraded to an executive double upon checking in for an extra £30. The upgrade included use of the club lounge which offers complimentary food & drink between certain times.

Room was great, a little on the smaller side than most, however that wasn't a major issue. Location was great, very close to everything in the centre of Chester.

Staff very friendly and extremely helpful.

Room Tip: Upgrade to executive!
1 Thank JamesWDale
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Chester, responded to this review, 17 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your club room and found everything that came with it to be excellent. I hope to welcome you back very soon.