“What a fabulous weekend!”

Crowne Plaza Chester
Ranked #10 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“What a fabulous weekend!”
Reviewed 17 January 2014

My husband and I booked an overnight stay whilst visiting Chester and going down memory lane and had a wonderful stay. The hotel is ideally situated in the city and is very clean and smart and although there are on-going improvements being carried out in the hotel there was no impact on the guest's stay or experience so they are to be commended for that.
The hotel's best asset though must be its staff, particularly Sue on Reception who went to the utmost trouble to ensure we enjoyed a super experience and couldn't have done more to make our stay special.
We are already looking forward to our next visit and can't thank Sue or the rest of the Team enough for giving us a fabulous visit

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
gm_cpchester, Operations Manager at Crowne Plaza Chester, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us in Chester. Your comments are amazing to hear and I will be sure to pass on your positive comments to our management team and more importantly to our fantastic team member Sue!

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Crowne Plaza soon to experience our fantastic new Bar & Restaurant.

Operations Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
  • Turkish first
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 January 2014 via mobile

Good saturday night hotel, 2 minutes from the centre. Reception were very welcoming and friendly. Was odd to be given a bag of jelly beans to make up for restaurant re-furb!! Got a late bottle of wine for my birthday waa a nice touch!

Had a lovely back massage in the spa!!

Room was nice - think it had been newly done...(hairdryer was abit naff). Had to use air con as room was far to hot!

Breakfast would have been nice but my order was forgotten and was told the 1st attempt at my poached eggs had been unsuccessful - overdone to be precise!!! When I finally got it - it was lovely!

Would stat again if we wanted town centre.

• Stayed January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to review your stay with us in Chester. I’m glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and hope you had a fantastic Birthday. I will pass on your comments regarding the hairdryer and breakfast to our housekeeping team and Head Chef as your comments are greatly appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming you again to the Crowne Plaza in the near future.

Kind Regards
United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 January 2014 via mobile

This is an excellent hotel in a great location , literally 2 mins from the main shopping and bar area . The staff were efficient and friendly and the rooms comfortable. The little touches including robes, water ,small fridge and luxury toiletries made our stay even more special

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us in Chester. We are pleased you enjoyed our fantastic location and will be sure to pass your positive comments over to our heads of department & team members. We take pride in the little touches that make a stay special and I’m glad to hear you appreciated them!

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Crowne Plaza in the future.

Lancashire
Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

My friend booked this hotel as a treat for a girly weekend. I would definitely stay here again. Fantastic location. Lovely rooms. Easy parking & reasonably priced at £7.50 for 24 hours. I was concerned that it might be a bit noisy - not at all. Never heard a thing once in my room. And only a short walk to drop shopping off!

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us in Chester. I’m glad to hear you enjoyed our location and the peace and quiet!

We look forward to welcoming you back soon to the Crowne Plaza in Chester.

Operations Manager
Sutton Coldfield
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Location wise it is perfect for shopping and sightseeing in Chester. The main lobby areas are pristine and large but were rather soul less lacking any atmosphere. The bar was however large and welcoming The hotel itself is located in a rather dingy area just off the ring road overlooking a bus station and the building itself is anything but welcoming! We had a club room so had the benefit of an upgraded room but found it quite disappointing compared to the usual club rooms. The room was very dark having only a small window (we could hear the ring road traffic throughout the night)), with a very unsightly view and being in the eves of the building with sloping ceiling it felt smaller than other rooms despite having 2 sofas beds. The benefit of the clubroom at this hotel is that you can have the complimentary drinks in the bar as well as the club room. I think next time we visit Chester we will stay at the other IHG hotels which we found more welcoming even though they are not quite as convenient for Central Chester

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Chester, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Dear Littlehall,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. I am pleased to know that our location was suitable for your needs.Our goal is to ensure that all our clients leave satisfied and we try our best to fulfill all our guest requests. Please accept my sincere apology for the shortcomings you have experienced and if our hotel fell below your expectations in many aspects. Thank you for bringing this into our attention as the feedback we receive from our guests like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to improve our guest services.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Prenton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Meeting up with friends for Dinner and to make the most of the evening we chose to stop over. It's a slightly bizarre hotel this from the outside looks very non-descript totally characterless. Once you walk inside though the foyer is dominated by a large bright chandelier. Spacious car park but costs £7 a day. I'd opted for an upgrade to the 3rd floor where the rooms are executive and there is a club room. The rooms are described as spacious but not my idea of spacious it was plush though. Free wifi is a major plus to me but I struggle why any hotel charges for it these days.
The club lounge isn't unduly large but seating is comfortable and there is a large well stocked bar and a decent range of snacks. Also has a large flat screen TV.
As I say the room was comfortable the bathroom was 'pokey' it did have a decent pressured shower.
As we left staff were mentioning a refit starting tomorrow (6th January) so it might be worth checking what that entails before you book.
The hotel does have a spa but we never used it. Certainly handy for Chester City Centre it's less than 100 yards away.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andrew S
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us in Chester when visiting friends. I’m glad to hear you enjoyed the club lounge and will be sure to pass on your constructive comments to our heads of department,as they are greatly appreciated.

We hope to welcome you back soon to the Crowne Plaza when our fantastic renovation is complete.

Alton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2014

This Hotel is well located for visiting the centre of Chester but it is not well sited as it is on top of a car park and market which are not well maintained at all. The Hotel is a strange mock "Cheshire" styled building perched on top of the car-park.

I had never used the hotel before as I had been deterred by the site. However, I booked it at short notice for Christmas night and I was very pleasantly surprised.

The internal decoration is smart and well maintained and the welcome from the front desk was exceptionally friendly in more than one language.

The room was very well equipped and very comfortable with a good bathroom and comfortable bed.

I had expected that we would be almost alone for breakfast but was surprised to find the dining-room full. The breakfast was well above average with top quality bacon and sausage.

I will certainly use this hotel again

Room Tip: Its not worth buying a club room as the Executive lounge was disappointing