“Great location, lovely hotel, attentive staff”

Crowne Plaza Chester
Ranked #10 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Mansfield, United Kingdom
“Great location, lovely hotel, attentive staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2014

Just returned from a weekend break visiting Chester for the race meeting. The hotel is in a very good location for everything - only a 5 minute walk to the race course, even less to the centre with lots of lovely shops and bars.
The rooms are very large with an enormous bed that would have slept 4 never mind the 2 of us. We had a view of the racecourse in the distance, all the usual hair drier, iron, complimentary toiletries, tea/coffee, air conditioning etc. Beautifully decorated and a very comfy bed.
Breakfast was buffet service but we never had to wait for a table and the food was plentiful with a great choice. Tea and coffee was served to the table in your own personal pot which was nice.
There is a spa and pool at this hotel but we never got chance to visit it.
Would highly recommend a stay here...not the cheapest by far but well worth the money in my opinion for a great location :-)

Room Tip: We were on the first floor (room 108) - didn't see any others so not sure how it compares
1 Thank jaynus
gm_cpchester, Operations Manager at Crowne Plaza Chester, responded to this review, 19 September 2014

Thankyou for taking the time to review your stay with us,

Its brilliant to hear you enjoyed your recent stay, and you liked the size of our kingsize beds! Hopefully next time you are here you will get to relax in the spa & leisure facilities.

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
  • Turkish first
london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2014

We have just returned from a 2 night stay in a family room on the club floor (gives you access to free drinks, space to chill out etc). Room was modern, nicely decorated. However there was an issue with the room and at that point the fantastic service from Reception kicked in. They were so helpful and accommodating and quickly resolved the issue. The way they helped us out was so impressive and made the stay really special - great work! The hotel is 2 mins walk from the central street in Chester, so a very good location to stay. 20 mins drive to Chesire oaks. Hotel has a pool (quite small), gym, sauna etc. Very nice breakfast.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Thankyou for taking the time to review your stay with us,

What a fantastic review!! Thankyou!! Its brilliant to hear that our reception team really made you feel welcome. I will be sure to congratulate them personally & im sure they will be just as pleased to read your review as I was.

Worcestershire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2014

This is a great place to stay if you are wanting a clean, comfortable hotel within easy reach of the shops/restaurants. Just a 5 minute walk to the centre, which was ideal. We stayed for one night and chose an executive room - nicely decorated, clean, comfy beds, plus access to the club lounge with complimentary drinks and canapes - a great way to start the evening! The welcome we received at the hotel was exceptional, and all the staff we spoke to were very helpful and friendly. The evening meal was high quality and the buffet style breakfast was delicious, with a good choice. We didn't have time to take advantage of the spa area, but the pool looked inviting. the only slight negative would be the location of the hotel entrance - don't be put off by this. We would definitely stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed August 2014

Thankyou for taking the time to review your stay with us,

What a brilliant review! Thankyou! Its lovely to hear you managed to make use of our executive club lounge & that your initial welcome by the reception team was "Exceptional" I will be certain to congratulate the team on a job well done.

Thankyou again & I look forward to welcoming you back to the Crowne Plaza in the future.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2014

We enjoyed a 2 night stay here in August. Came primarily for Cheshire Oaks Designer Outlet but were nicely surprised by the location of the hotel to the great shopping in Chester too.
The room was very comfortable and the staff were very helpful.
The food in the restaurant for breakfast and dinner was great. A good bar to relax in and a pool and gym too - great facilities.
We bought a 2 night deal at this hotel and found it very good value for money, and would definitely return again.

Thankyou for taking the time to review your stay with us,

Its wonderful to hear you had such a successful shopping trip away from home & you managed to make use of our facilities during your stay

Tetbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

A very nice stay at this hotel. Easy parking next to the hotel with direct lift access. Staff were helpful and friendly. The restaurant dinner was very good and great value. The room was quiet (at the back of the hotel), roomy and warm on a cold day.
We would stay here next time we are in Chester.

Room Tip: Quiet rooms at the back of the hotel.

Thankyou for taking the time to review your stay with us,

Its lovely to read that you enjoyed your stay & you found the staff helpful throughout your stay.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

This was a last minute booking for a Bank Holiday Saturday, so the choice of hotels in Chester with available rooms was limited. We wanted a city centre hotel, so were prepared to pay a little extra for the convenience. We booked on line, and the confirmation email gave directions to follow to find the hotel when travelling by car. With my wife reading the directions and me driving we got hopelessly lost despite trying retracing our steps twice. It would have been very helpful if the hotel had included a map in the confirmation email. My GPS set had inconveniently decided not to play that day!
I luckily spotted the hotel on our third circuit of the city, and we were able to find then hotel car park which was full. There is however a pay and display car park in the same building, which costs £2 for an overnight stay.
Check-in was quick and efficient, although the main entrance, as someone else has commented, is slightly unprepossessing. The room was clean, with all the usual amenities, and the bed was huge and very comfortable. Hotel information was apparently available via the television set, instead of the usual information booklet, but try as I might I was unable to access it with the hand set. The room was quiet, with a nice view, and we slept well. A nice touch was two vials of aromatherapy oils to enhance our sleep. Whether they worked or not, I do not know, but we woke refreshed.
A friendly woman met us and showed us to our table for breakfast, which was of the buffet style, but very tasty, and seemed to have been freshly prepared. There was a good choice on the breakfast menu, with the option for some dishes such as kippers, omelettes or smoked salmon with poached egg to be cooked to order.
There was really nothing important to complain about on this visit. Although I usually prefer smaller more intimate hotels, I would certainly consider using the Crown Plaza again.

1 Thank iain789

Thankyou for taking the time to review your stay with us,

Firstly, thankyou for mentioning your trouble in finding the hotel. I have forwarded your suggestion to the Reservations Manager who will look at improving our directions to the hotel (especially for when the Sat Nav fails) Its great to read that your check-in experience was quick & efficient, and that you enjoyed your full english breakfast. I will be sure to pass over your comments at the next team meeting.

Cadiz, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

Visiting Chester every month for a few months. This was the closest hotel to the office where our meetings are held. Approach to the front door is gloomy beneath some kind of under-pass. The hotel reception is actually upstairs so the "lobby" is actually a lift lobby but they have done a reasonable job of making it feel nice. The lifts are terrible - extremely slow and there are not enough of them. Reception area is nice, if a bit dated now but has been very well maintained. On my first visit I had a charming English girl check me in. The second visit I was checked in by a young Spanish lady who to be honest didn't know what she was doing at all - she tried but she obviously had very poor training. The room on both occasions was nice: clean and functional. Internet works fine. Water pressure in the shower is very poor in the first and second floors (these being the floors I used). The room had water, biscuits, magazines - felt welcoming. Room service is pretty good and fast. Breakfast area is nice and the staff friendly. My only criticism was on the second day of the second visit they had no meat for continental breakfast - only cheese! Thats pretty poor management in my view, I mean who is going to eat just a pile of cheese for breakfast! That meant I had to eat a fried breakfast which is not what I wanted - but it was very nice! I would definitely come back here again. Its not perfect: when I checked out the card machine was broken and I had a taxi waiting so the reception staff took my business card and said they would email me the bill and refund the balance of the deposit they took on my credit card "within 10 minutes". I had to call back 2 days later to remind them. I was told it would be "within 30 minutes" - still waiting. With a little polishing this hotel could easily me an excellent, as it is I give it a very good.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade to 3rd floor executive rooms. My company booked 3 rooms, 1 for me and 2 for peopl...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business

Thankyou for taking the time to review your stay with us,

It is great to hear such detailed feedback, which should help us improve in the areas you have suggested. Especially in terms of staff training for the reception team, along with your experience with the continental breakfast. However its great to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay & that hopefully you will choose us again for your next stay.