“Incredible! Great atmosphere and nice personnel!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chester Town House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chester
Chester Town House
Ranked #58 of 81 Chester B&B and Inns
Berlin
“Incredible! Great atmosphere and nice personnel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2010

Well, this is a very old small house - this is how it looks from outside. You also get a huge key for your huge wooden door and not a modern swipe card. It has only 5-6 rooms. Great atmosphere! The rooms are very clean and large enough and are equipped with everything you need (including free WLAN). Mr David Bellis who runs this place is very helpful, polite and friendly. Breakfast is great. And of course the price to value. The next time I come to Chester, I'm definetely staying in the Town House!!!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Canberra Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2010

This B&B is rated as a four star, but does not deserve that rating and seems to be resting on its laurels.

We stayed in room 3 (upstairs, at the front of the building) and our sleep was disrupted by drunken revellers well into the night (a normal Thursday in winter, not a special occasion). Despite being a non-smoking establishment, the building smelled of cigarette smoke. This appears to be the result of the proprietor regularly smoking in his office/sitting room. Also, despite having a ‘power shower’, the shower had low pressure and flow and uneven temperature (as well as a cheap plastic shower-curtain), and though the bedroom was clean, the shower was dirt- and mould-stained. Towels and bed-linen were old and worn. Breakfast was the usual British breakfast, competent but unimaginative, and spoiled by finding mouldy strawberries in the fruit bowl.

This B&B is located in the city centre, a very short walk from major sights. It is a very old building with uneven and creaky floors, but warm and comfortably furnished and reasonably well-equipped. Room size is compact but adequate. No internet.

If location is important to you, consider this property, but for anyone else it is aging, neglected and over-rated.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank GarranTraveller
Scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2010

This lovely old property is very comfortable and tastefully furnished. The double room with en suite we had was more than adequate and breakfast was beautifully cooked by a very helpful and pleasant host. However, the table linen was far from spotless and the shower cubicle had not been cleaned properly.

The worst part for us was the cigarette smoke wafting throughout the property; this came from the host's quarters. I'm not sure what the law is exactly, but I thought if it was classed as a non-smoking hotel, and there were signs requesting No Smoking in the rooms, then this would be breaking the law!?! Anyway, it made our stay uncomfortable, which is such a shame as it was otherwise a lovely hotel and we were made to feel very welcome.

Definitely not suitable for anyone with mobility problems, due to stairs.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sonfollower
South central upstate New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2009

A very warm welcome and assistance with my heavy luggage up two flights of stairs made an excellent first impression. The room was absolutely perfect; sparkling clean, with all the necessary furnishings for a comfortable stay, but still enough floor space for easy movement. The only thing that could have made it better would have been the installation of a coat hook on the inside of the entry door, and a robe hook on the inside of the bathroom door.

The bathroom was just a good as the room, with a lovely long, deep tub (how did they ever get that tub to the top floor of the building?!) and plenty of hot, high-pressure water for the retrofitted shower, thanks to a demand water heater dedicated to the shower head.

But after all that perfection, I was dismayed to detect tobacco smoke drifting into my non-smoking room. The guests’ information packet in the room states that no smoking is permitted above the ground floor of the building, so I followed my nose down the stairs and discovered that the source was the host's private sitting room on the ground floor. I glanced through the open door and saw two packs of cigarettes on the table next to his easy chair. Of course, the stairwell functions as a chimney and my room was at the top of the building, two floors up, so I was getting the brunt of the smoke. I explained to him that I am asthmatic, so cannot be exposed to tobacco smoke. He looked dismayed and a bit at a loss, so I asked if he could open the window on the back of the building at the top of the stairs as wide as possible in the hope that the smoke would go out that way instead of coming down the hall to my room on the front of the building. I was on my way out when we had this conversation, and by the time I came back, the sitting room door was closed and the stairwell window was wide open. Opening the window helped only slightly, so I my room was filled with smoke for my entire stay. The effective fix would have been for him to keep the sitting room door closed all the time and to vent that room to the outside. Unfortunately, it isn't practical for him to constantly keep that door closed because he needs to keep tabs on who has let him or herself in the front door with a key and is headed up the stairs. One work-around would be a surveillance camera with a monitor in the sitting room. Another would be replacing the solid door with one with a large glass panel and a blind on the sitting-room side to close when he wanted privacy. In either case, the sides and top of the door would need to be weather-stripped and the bottom would need a flexible, spring-loaded sweep. Regardless of the type of door, the room would need a vent fan to carry the smoke outside, or if there is a working fireplace in the room, perhaps keeping the damper open would suffice to draw the smoke out.

I was there three nights. Before the end of the first night I was beginning to have bronchial symptoms, as well as the start of laryngitis; by the time I left I had developed a constant cough and my voice was nearly gone. I flew home a week after checking out of this B&B, consulted my asthma specialist, and I am currently enduring a week of prednisone therapy to knock out the bronchial inflammation from the tobacco smoke irritation.

I will visit Chester again, and would have loved to have stayed at the Chester Town House, but I just can't take the risk. This is really a crying shame, because except for the tobacco smoke, it is an absolutely perfect B&B. I am indicating "Yes" to the question about recommending the hotel to a friend, but I would recommend it only to friends who I know are not adversely affected by tobacco smoke.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank Anglophile_9
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2009

What a brilliant find,by just scouring B & Bs in Chester!
Just a hop and skip to The Cathedral.
The Hotel was one if not the nicest stays we have ever had.
Welcoming by David your host,who was very informative,and polite,which to a paying guest isn't always the case.
The room was soooooo cozy,clean and always well kept.
The breakfast was a hearty affair,just superb.
As for £500 extra,that is what it cost me to buy an identical mattress-the most comfortable we have both slept on,when with great sadness we had to return home.
Simply the best.
David and Juliette (Preston)

Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Lancaster
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2009

I just stayed here with my mum on a treat few days away. The proprieter was very welcoming and helpful. The B&B is imacualte, tastefully decorated and furnished, the room cosy and the beds comfortable. The highlight was the delicious breakfasts; lots of choice. In a quiet street very convenient for all sights and places to eat. Would definitely stay again and we are very fussy (steep stairs might be a problem for some).

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family