“Friendly helpful owner.”

Grosvenor Place Guest House
Ranked #7 of 76 Chester B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 March 2014

This B and B is right in the city. Despite that its quiet. Good cooked breakfast. Very helpful owner. My single room was very small but did the job and was well priced. Ideal when all you want is a room for the night. Saw the doubles and they were a good size. Not luxurious but comfortable. Only downside was no parking. Parking is nearby in the Rodee Car park at £5.80 per day and £1.50 overnight.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Grosvenor-Place-Mgmt, Manager at Grosvenor Place Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Thank you for your nice comments, I just wanted to inform you for any possible future booking that we do offer parking outside the B&B at a cost of £5 for an all day parking voucher & £2 for a 2 hour parking voucher. Most guests need one of each to see them through to check out the following day.

Reviewed 28 February 2014

The GPGH is a fantastic place to stay if you're on a budget; the room was clean, the bed was big and comfortable, the breakfasts were delicious and the staff friendly, with a very helpful folder of info in the room which informed what I did with at least one of my days in Chester.

Only small gripe is that the bathroom (the shower in particular) was on the cosy side, especially for a lard-bottom like myself. However, I'd much rather have a small en suite than no en suite at all, and it was certainly adequate for my needs.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again - even if the cries of schoolchildren declaring that they're ready for war outside the nearby museum did terrify me on the morning when I didn't leave the hotel until 11am!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay, we do wish that we could increase the size of the bathrooms, but unfortunately the design of the building prevents this. We are glad the info pack in your room was helpful and hope to see you again if ever in Chester.

Reviewed 13 February 2014

This place was fine. The room was clean if a little small. The host did enough to appear friendly (although I sensed very little commitment). The breakfasts weren't bad (maybe I'm spoiled but they didn't really live up to the hype that's plastered all over the place about them). Best thing about it is the location, and with a couple of corking little restaurants across the road as well. Price was, well, ok. I may go back, I may not.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Grosvenor-Place-Mgmt, Owner at Grosvenor Place Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

I have written to the guest who posted the review to get some further details as the two points he raised as negatives are a real surprise to me. We have never before been accused of lacking commitment as we always place the needs of our guests firmly at the centre of our business.
The other shock was the comment about our breakfasts, Normally these are highly praised by our guests. What is critical for me to establish is whether it was a quality or a content issue. We pride ourselves on not promising things we do not deliver.

I will keep you informed and write an update when I have the response from the guest.

Reviewed 1 February 2014

The Grosvenor is in a fantastic location,2 minutes from the centre of Chester.My room was a small single,but spotlessly clean with a very comfy bed and a new bathroom with a cracking shower.Iain,the owner,is still in the process of bringing the property up to his high standards as he hasn't owned it for very long,but in the meantime he is certain to offer you a warm welcome,a tasty breakfast and a very comfortable stay at more than reasonable rates. I would have no hesitation in recommending Grosvenor Place to anyone.I stayed for 3 nights and would happily stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay so much. We look forward to welcoming you again, when you next come to Chester

Reviewed 31 December 2013

Great Guest House the owner was great ,could'nt do enough , really clean and comfy . Great location everything within walking distance. Great breakfast and as much tea and coffee as you like. Love Chester already planning our next trip.

Room Tip: We stayed in Number 2 which was great.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Grosvenor-Place-Mgmt, Owner at Grosvenor Place Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2014

Thank you for giving us such a glowing review. Since I purchased the guest house in September, I have been going through a scheme of improvements to try and make 'Grosvenor Place' even better.
The new heating and hot water systems are installed and working so now there is a limitless supply of hot water and great pressure in the showers. The bathroom in room 6, our smallest double, has been completely renewed, with the ugly and sometimes noisy saniflo being replaced. The first of our guest rooms will be double glazed in February. It has been a real challenge to find a solution which retains the beautiful leaded light windows, but a local joinery firm believe they have the answer. It will be great to have the sash windows working properly.

In January next year we will be knocking out the wall in the dining room to give access for our guests to the patio area outside. In the summer our guests will be able to enjoy their breakfasts alfresco or sit and enjoy a cup of tea in the afternoon in the sunshine.

So please come back soon and we will try to surprise you again.

Reviewed 3 December 2013

A fantastic place to stay. Owners friendly and helpful Friendly welcome on arrival and assisted over to nearby car parking area.(parking fees apply but location secure and close by) Very good local knowledge and advice for continuing travel.Great location within walking distance to great shopping centre. Room clean and bright with excellent facilities incl. wifi. The breakfast was great!
Enjoyed the friendly chats. Very well priced. Would stay again.

Room Tip: Not applicable as I am sure all the rooms are good.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Grosvenor-Place-Mgmt, Owner at Grosvenor Place Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay so much with us. I really hope that you were able to make that special visit on your way back to Heathrow. I hope we see you again very soon

Reviewed 16 November 2013

Great stay right in the heart of Chester. Short walk to shops & restaurants or river. Really clean. All the basics and a lovely brekky. Staff helpful and friendly. The BEST bed I have ever slept in! Maybe could do with 2 chairs rather than just 1? Probably would have supplied had we asked!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple