“Très Bon! Reminds me of restaurants in the Latin Quarter of Paris”
Review of La P'tite France

La P'tite France
Ranked #11 of 579 Restaurants in Chester
Price range: US$8 - US$27
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: French Café-Bistro in the heart of Chester. Open for lunch and Dinner Tuesday till Saturday. Come to see us for your French experience
Reviewed 11 May 2014

When my wife and I shop in Chester, we always like to have lunch there as well. A restaurant we used to go to had closed, so my wife searched TripAdvisor and found that this new restaurant had a number of very positive reviews. We booked it the day before to ensure we would have a table.

The restaurant has the feel of a typical restaurant you would find in the Latin Quarter of Paris, even down to having a "Menu du Jour" and A La Carte menus. And yes, it even does snails, frogs legs and 'Moules et Frites". All the staff were French speaking.

The restaurant quickly filled up and we noticed that several tables were occupied by French couples/families.

I opted for a fresh soup starter and pork escalope for my main, both from the Menu du Jour. Both dishes were excellent. The sauce which was served with the pork was absolutely superb and typical French. We were given bread and President butter and the bread was very nice.

We shared a 750ml carafe of house white Sauvignon Blanc which cost around £12. It was very drinkable and I would say good value for the money.

For dessert, my wife had a Crème Brûlée. It was full of vanilla seeds and very creamy. It was probably the best Crème Brûlée either of us have ever tasted. I had the Tarte au Citron which was clearly home-made and served with raspberry sorbet. It was nicely tart and not sweet, which is just how I like it. Again, it was superb.

I finished with a Café Grand which was a creamy coffee similar to a latte and again, this was very nice.

We will definitely be going again. I will be ordering the frogs legs next time!

I would advise to book if you are going on a Saturday, because it gets busy. Several people came in, but could not get a table.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

I just discovered this new restaurant on the last minute before we left for Chester as it didn’t exist when I did my original research. Luckily it was around the corner from our hotel so had a look in during the afternoon of our arrival. There are a lot of restaurants and cafes in the same street and it was the busiest at lunch so the omens were good for a new restaurant.

We decided to go on our second night as we wanted to eat early, and therefore stood a better chance of getting in, as we were off to a concert. The owners, who are Parisians, greeted us warmly and offered us a choice of tables so we took one in the window. The décor is simple but stylish and very clean. We were given time to look at the wine menu and chose a bottle of house rose which at £12.95 a bottle was not only excellent value but very nice as well. We were given complimentary French bread with French butter which transported me back to my beloved France. We also ordered a bottle of tap water which was also compliment.

For starters I chose the mussels in a white wine and garlic cream sauce and my partner had the warm goats cheese salad off the early bird menu (you could pick from either if you didn’t want to stick with the cheaper menu). Both were extremely tasty and the plates cleared. For main course I chose the chicken with Basque tomato sauce (apologies if I got the description wrong) which was incredibly tender and tasty as were the dauphinoise potatoes it came with. My partner had hake served on a bed of cous cous with a side order of sugar snap peas.

We had intended to eat light with our concert looming but I was enticed to the dessert menu and chose tarte au citron which came with a strawberry ice cream both clearly homemade and delicious. My partner being a little more sensible just went with a coffee. The service was very friendly and not pretentious (that’s me being pretentious using a big word !) and considering the previous night we ate at the current Chester number one on T.A. this was half the price (£57) and twice as good so I can only say c’est magnifique et merci bien.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

A really great find. Could have easily walked past it but something drew my eye. Simply but attractively furnished, the focus is clearly on the food. Good range in the menu with a plat de Jour to suit all tastes. Food was delicious. Authentically French-right down to the great bread. Service excellent: attentive, efficient but friendly. Very professional. A taste of France in Chester. Can't recommend highly enough. Would book to ensure you have a table if you know ahead as the restaurant is quite small, but always worth coming in on the off chance.

Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

A great find if you want to eat real authentic French food plus I would much rather take my business to this family owned and run restaurant than to big chains such as cafe rouge with their anglicised cuisine. Good value for money and faultless service I hope this new restaurant becomes successful. Not sure if it was just the building or they didn't have the heating on but it was quite cold however will still be visiting again in future.

Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

We visited here on a Tuesday night and the manager who also turned out to be the owner was very friendly and professional, he took the time to chat with our table even though he was the only one working on the floor, and seemed genuinely attentive.
We were given a free basket of bread with butter, and it was really nice and fresh.
Two of us had the mussels and chips and we absolutely loved it, plus the portions were really generous. Definitely the nicest mussels I've ever had.
Overall a fantastic authentic little restaurant which is really reasonably priced, if I was to be fussy the restaurant was a bit cold but that can't always be helped. I will definitely visit again.

1  Thank B876