“So pleased we went for The Shack”
Review of The Shack - CLOSED

The Shack
Price range: US$5 - US$16
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Having only been to Chester once before and having really struggled getting in anywhere on the night, this time I thought I'd check some reviews out and pre-book. The Shack sounded like our type of place-and it was, yay! Really liked the decor, contemporary but not in an intimidating, up-its-own-backside type of way. We went in at 6pm on a Thursday so it was a bit on the quiet side but we enjoyed the uninterrupted view of a war film being projected on to the wall. The food was just delicious. The tapas we had as starters were scrummy, the salad with the grilled halloumi was better than the average bit of rocket and balsamic, there was a delicious pistacchio drizzle on it that was very moreish. My partner had the maple chicken which he loved and I had the lamb and red onion lasagne-which was brilliant. My recurring complaint with restaurant lasagnes is that they are usually not generous enough with the cheese-definitely not the case, so much cheese and the portion size is more than I could handle by myself. I would recommend the artisan bread, never had anything quite like it and it came with a little pipette to drizzle balsamic oil on, which I thought was quite cute. The lady who served us was also lovely and didn't pester us which is always off putting but was on hand straight away to clear plates and replenish drinks. My only negative is I have a sweet tooth and I wasn't able to sample the desserts due to the amount of food I had already eaten!

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Saturday night meal with my husband - we reserved a table for 2 at 7.30pm

The restaurant is located in the hotel, it's nicely decorated, very modern and uncluttered.

Staff were friendly and helpful.

Nice selection on the menu, I felt it had something for everyone and offered a good selection of burgers.

Reasonably priced, not cheap but not too over the top considering it's Chester.

The chicken in a bucket was very tasty but the portion size was a bit skimpy, but we really didn't know what to expect as we had never had this before. The name might be a bit misleading, it's nothing like KFC, it's very nicely cooked and presented well.

The music was too loud in the dinning area and this stalled conversation as we got fed up with shouting so we could be heard over the music.

Burgers were delicious and generous toppings eg. Caramelised onions and cheese

Would we go back again? Probably :0)

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Went with friends and had a great laugh with great food served by friendly faces! The excellent beer choice was a bonus!

2  Thank Parkhurst111
Reviewed 2 June 2014

the staff were so helpfull could not fault the service. The food was so good i can recommend this to any one.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Food service and atmosphere all good. Some good ideas on the menu. We will be back to try some more of the dishes.